Sterling

coldel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32830357

I think most footy fans will have been following this saga to some degree over the last few months.

On the one hand its good that a player wants to achieve things i his career and that (apparently) money isnt important. On the other the public behaviour of the agent is utterly shocking and just further demonstrates what nasty pieces of work they can be. Maybe the agent is being somewhat blinkered or just cares about his next big transfer fee but Sterling will not get anywhere near the number of games or development at a top club that he will at Liverpool.

If the agents claim is true then would he sign for Chelsea for £50k a week, I mean they will win the trophies this apparently is all about and its a higher wage than he is on now?

Unfortunately football is sinking - I will still watch it and play it with a passion, but its doesnt make for pretty headlines.

• Like 1

Sterling will not get anywhere near the number of games or development at a top club that he will at Liverpool.

Two things amuse me about this particular excerpt; 1) development at Liverpool? And more so 2) differentiating between "a top club" and Liverpool. :lol:

Back on topic though, my opinion may be slightly jaded but... would he go to any other club likely to win trophies for less money than Liverpool are offering in his new contract? I doubt it. Although his agent has now put him in a difficult position - he's clearly not staying at Liverpool so runs the risk that Liverpool won't play him (much) in the mean time, but any club that might be interested in him knows full well that he's desperate to move and "isn't in it for the money" so won't be doing much to tempt him away. His "value" has just plummeted throughout all this.

Assuming Liverpool hold him to the 2 years left on his contract and they win some trophies in that time (yeah, I know, I amuse me too ;) ), does that mean he'll change his mind and stay? Even for less than the terms Liverpool are currently (or were before his agent opened his mouth) offering? I just can't see that (not least of all the Liverpool winning something bit :p ).

It's an excuse trotted out by too many players these days, last year it Sagna who went to Man City to win trophies (the ridiculous wage was just coincidental of course), and he's won nothing yet. :lol:

I'd leave Liverpool if I were him. All the best players gone, not likely to improve in the near future, other teams are significantly stronger and his career doesn't look like being particularly spectacular at this point.

Don't think you should blame players for leaving for more money...Not there fault...If you're offered a life changing sum of money to move jobs, you're going to take it...

Blame the managers etc for setting ridiculous prices.

I Agree why shouldn't the player try to get what he wants. He is not a club man brought up in Liverpool he was enticed away from QPR as a youngster by Liverpool claiming they were bigger with more cash.. Unfortunately someone now is going to do the same to them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, in my opinion, providing that player (and his agent/family/friends/new employers/anyone, ever) doesn't claim that he's moving clubs for any other reason.

In this case Sterling may well want to win trophies and that's fine too, he's unlikely to win much at Liverpool so it's the logical solution. He may even be willing to forego wages in that quest for success as his agent has said, and that's fine. But if it turns out he ends up somewhere equally as likely to win nothing yet ends up on higher wages, or even at somewhere likely to win trophies but he pushes for higher wages, then that makes him just as bad as Stevie "I'm Liverpool through and through, me" Gerrard, who is leaving simply because Liverpool won't play him as much as he wants.

The biggest thing with the whole Sterling situation is the way that it's been handled and played out in public rather than being dealt with properly (on either side). It doesn't leave either Liverpool or Sterling looking too good really.

He is 20, hardly at the peak of his powers and one of those players who when you see the highlights looks unstoppable but over 90s comes and goes. Liverpool were in the champions league this season, didn't exactly see Sterling set the world alight then...

...Messi and Ronaldo are fantastic examples of when players peak, at 26-29 years old - thats when you want to be moving to a really top top club. Just would be a shame to have a thick 20 year old (lets face it he isn't exactly smart) with some decent football talent get talked into something he clearly isn't (i.e. a world class player) just so the agent makes a decent buck and then buggers off and doesn't give a hoot. But hey thats the cancer of football as it stands.

I find it amusing that Liverpool happily picked up Lallana and Lambert from a "small club" and are outraged that Sterling wants to go off and win things and have a bumper pay rise. Aparently irony isn't in the Big Brenda Book of Business words. :lol:

Obviously that doesn't take into account how "special" and "unique" and "historic" [insert meaningless adverbs ad nauseum] Liverpool are. If they'd not pi**ed away a fortune on absolute shaffle, they might be able to throw Sterling a few quid.

Lallana and Lambert were in their late 20s and 30s, I think the issue here is that there is a promising 20 year old who is a dim witted muppet but nonetheless a talented footballer who has been told by his agent he can walk into a title winning team - which really is not going to be the case, he would be on the bench at Chelsea, Barca, Real, PSG, Juve etc. so where else is he going to go? Its not like City won anything this year either...

...it's just a shame another decent young player is being told 'to go find trophies' by an agent who just wants a nice big bumper payout on a transfer fee when he is not the finished article. Thats the problem I see coming...

Is this not the same as Rooney threatening to leave Utd a few years back, until he got offered a vast pay rise, all about the money and nothing else imho, no matter what is said.

There seems to be delusions of grandeur with English talent.

Lallana and Lambert were in their late 20s and 30s, I think the issue here is that there is a promising 20 year old who is a dim witted muppet but nonetheless a talented footballer who has been told by his agent he can walk into a title winning team - which really is not going to be the case, he would be on the bench at Chelsea, Barca, Real, PSG, Juve etc. so where else is he going to go? Its not like City won anything this year either...

...it's just a shame another decent young player is being told 'to go find trophies' by an agent who just wants a nice big bumper payout on a transfer fee when he is not the finished article. Thats the problem I see coming...

Ronaldo was younger when he went to United, he seems to have done alright (despite being a monumental bellend), no one one gave him a hard time for leaving before his late 20s :shrug:

At least Sterling's not doing a Sol Campbell and pretending to sign, then leaving for nothing. Liverpool can cash in, if they want. If I was Rogers I'd stick him in the reserves for a year and let him go, but if FSG have any brains they'll get the cash and move on.

Did you actually just compare Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the two greatest footballers of recent times, with Raheem Sterling?! :lol: :lol:

I know the point you're making, but Ronaldo had been with Utd for years and his dream was to play for RM who were desperate to sign him. I don't think anyone is knocking down Liverpool's door for Sterling.

Did you actually just compare Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the two greatest footballers of recent times, with Raheem Sterling?! :lol: :lol:

I know the point you're making, but Ronaldo had been with Utd for years and his dream was to play for RM who were desperate to sign him. I don't think anyone is knocking down Liverpool's door for Sterling.

I meant when he signed from Sporting to Utd (I think he was about 18 at the time and a very promising youngster), not the Man Utd to RM transfer. Sporting are a club who have won the league, qualify for Europe and he could have stayed there for longer, but he didn't and no one got excited about it.

FWIW I think the underlying matter here is that certain sections of the punditry are unhappy that he's effectively saying the LFC are heading into Spurs territory (challenging for CL but more likely to be EL) and no one is allowed to say that cause of the history etc etc.

Is there one player in the Liverpool squad right now that could walk into the Chelsea squad? Perhaps Coutinho?

FWIW I think the underlying matter here is that certain sections of the punditry are unhappy that he's effectively saying the LFC are heading into Spurs territory (challenging for CL but more likely to be EL) and no one is allowed to say that cause of the history etc etc.

By whom you mean the completely unbiased sections such a Souness, Redknapp and Carragher, for example, right? ;)

I meant when he signed from Sporting to Utd (I think he was about 18 at the time and a very promising youngster), not the Man Utd to RM transfer. Sporting are a club who have won the league, qualify for Europe and he could have stayed there for longer, but he didn't and no one got excited about it.

Is there one player in the Liverpool squad right now that could walk into the Chelsea squad? Perhaps Coutinho?

Right, sorry, I completely misunderstood you. My bad.

Really, the bigger issue is that Liverpool had a great year last year and still failed, and this year they've gone backwards massively. What player wouldn't want to move on after that? I just think that Sterling has been spectacularly badly advised, and hopefully he can see that and sort it out.

By whom you mean the completely unbiased sections such a Souness, Redknapp and Carragher, for example, right? ;)

Has Phil Thompson stuck his nose in ;)

That was my point really, that clearly the agent has nothing on his mind apart from a big chunky take of a transfer fee this summer and has convinced Sterling its all about trophies. I just don't think he is intelligent enough (or experienced enough) to understand what is going on around him at the moment, he has all his hangers on telling him he is world class but he isn't by a long stretch, yet. He is inconsistent, and he won't sort that out by playing off the bench or being unsure of when his next start is.

That was my point really, that clearly the agent has nothing on his mind apart from a big chunky take of a transfer fee this summer

Or does the agent consider that his job is to get Sterling into the "best" team and so increase the players earnings, future transfers and subsequently his commission?

That was my point really, that clearly the agent has nothing on his mind apart from a big chunky take of a transfer fee this summer

Or does the agent consider that his job is to get Sterling into the "best" team and so increase the players earnings, future transfers and subsequently his commission?

But longer term, if he can't get a run in the best team his form drops, his value drops, his potential to demand good money falls and subsequently the agents commission falls?

The idea of agents is ludicrous anyway, its a one day training course to be qualified - when Gareth Barry moved to City he employed a life long school friend for the day - told him what to demand, got paid a few million quid, then retired straight afterwards.

Agreed, but then hindsight is a wonderful thing, what about if he gets injured next season at Liverpool and its career ending, make the money now and worry later. I would imagine the plan is to push his career and earnings, status etc and that probably isnt going to happen at Liverpool.

Not saying its right, just the way it is. Man Utd was critical to Ronaldo, who knows what would have happened if he hadnt made that move.

Yes hard to predict the future, however just my opinion that this current mindset of wanting a trophy winning side is not his own, and that he is being shoved in that direction. He was hardly a stand out performer when Liverpool exited Europe this year. In terms of injury, all the players are insured, they get massive payouts if they have something career ending.

I remember Jermaine Defoe doing the same thing to West Ham, within 24 hours of being relegated he just slapped in the transfer request (which he was right to do of course) but in hindsight when interviewed later in his career said he should have shown his still current employers a lot more respect and managed all a lot better but 'got bad advice' and I am seeing it all over again here.