Sterling

coldel

Rooney was twice the player of Sterling at 17 than Sterling is at 20 - again just my opinion though. Also Man Utd are more likely to progress young players and have a history of it, Sterling is looking at either Chelsea or City if he wants trophies i.e. Premier League neither team he will get a starting berth in.

As a Chelsea fan I don't want him near the club. He won't get consistent football with us as he's not better than what we have on the bench. For example, I believe that if Cuadrado or Salah went to Liverpool, they'd both get straight into the first team, probably in front of Sterling.

He's overhyped purely due to the fact he is English. If he goes of more than £25 million it's a disgrace and I'm only valuing him at that price because with the correct guidance at the age of 20, he has the chance of becoming a great player.

• Like 1

Rooney was twice the player of Sterling at 17

I wouldnt agree, but thats just a personal opinion.

He's overhyped purely due to the fact he is English.

As above with both of them. If they were in any other recognised footballing country they wouldnt get in the national squad.

On topic though, its just money (mostly) & glory, plain and simple. I would doubt Sterling (particularly) or Rooney give a flying .... whether they play regular football, they just want money and to be part of a winning team. Rooney is a slightly different case as he seems to spit his dummy out if he isnt number 1 or thinks he is number 1.

I often watch a team celebrating a trophy and there is some random who has sat on the bench all season or been injured jumping around with the rest of the team. Still has a medal and part of a winning team to his name though and a vast bank balance.

That's what being part of a team is though. Even if all you did was provide competition to make sure the player ahead of you kept his form, then you had a crucial part to play.

I don't buy into the gumpf that all footballers are only in it for the money. They got into the sport because they enjoyed watching it and playing it, it's like saying fans only support the team because they really like wearing the nice shirts every year. If the market will pay them millions for doing the job they love, then good luck to them. Ask any player whether he'd swap his money for a league or CL winners medal, and I'd bet my house they'd say yes. Hell, most supporters would swap their money just to see their team win either!

That's what being part of a team is though. Even if all you did was provide competition to make sure the player ahead of you kept his form, then you had a crucial part to play.

I don't buy into the gumpf that all footballers are only in it for the money. They got into the sport because they enjoyed watching it and playing it, it's like saying fans only support the team because they really like wearing the nice shirts every year. If the market will pay them millions for doing the job they love, then good luck to them. Ask any player whether he'd swap his money for a league or CL winners medal, and I'd bet my house they'd say yes. Hell, most supporters would swap their money just to see their team win either!

Totally agree, in the majority of cases. It takes something special to make it as a pro, through all the competition as a kid, then when you're on a youth deal, the sher number of other people you have to shine brighter than etc. Obviously there's always a few exceptions.

When you watch players the likes of Terry, Keane, Shearer, Gerrard, Bergkamp, Henry, Scholes, Gascoigne or anyone battling it out in the football league - they'd do it if footballlers were wage capped to £15k a year - just to be a footballer.

So how does either of the above explain Rooney asking to leave Utd, more money offered and he stays and sure he his not the only example.

Sure they love the game, but money drives them, how many top flight premier league players would leave their respective clubs where they might be regular on the bench @ lets say £25k a week to go and play regularly for £25k a year, medals or no medals.

So how does either of the above explain Rooney asking to leave Utd, more money offered and he stays and sure he his not the only example.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't quite as black and white as that. It could have been the deciding factor for him, I wasn't there so I don't know for sure, but there were (apparently) further assurances about the direction of the team and his role in it - second time, he was given the captaincy for example.

I agree with you that there are players quite happy to go somewhere and play a bit part or sit on the bench and just collect their wages, I'm not convinced Rooney is one of them necessarily (my opinion is that he falls into the "loves playing and if someone wants to pay him silly money to do so then so be it" category mentioned earlier, but he has been spoiled at United and is now so used to winning trophies that he can't accept a lesser role at this point in his career).

It's less reported and/or commented on, but I genuinely think that there's just as many players going from sitting on the bench (at best) at a big club to playing regularly at a smaller club - the number of players United have had out on loan this season/sold in the summer is an example amongst many. It's largely that none cares when someone does that, but when Sterling does this it's in the papers for weeks on end.

Sure they love the game, but money drives them, how many top flight premier league players would leave their respective clubs where they might be regular on the bench @ lets say £25k a week to go and play regularly for £25k a year, medals or no medals.

He wanted to leave as he was fed up being played out of position. Seems fair enough to me, not unlike someone leaving a job because instead of managing accounts, they were being asked to do the filing all the time.

Money is not the driving force, I'm pretty sure of that. Of course, the top guys who have the choice of Chelsea @£100K pa or Barca @£200K pa might well go for the Spanish side, but then so would every other single person in the whole world.

I'd rather stay warming the bench at Chelsea where I might get a chance to break into the first team and prove how good I was and win the title, rather than drop down a league and play every day and win nothing of note ever. That's just common sense. I think you're also forgetting that for every Rooney or Sterling there's a James Chester or a Michael Kightly, who really aren't earning the mega bucks despite playing in the same league. A footballer's career is a very short one, even if they were purely after the money I don't blame them at all for that: They're one bad tackle away from never playing again, and then what do they do?

I was told to be very gifted as a youngster in most sports, my old head master player for Rangers and i was told if you want to be professional, you can. We are talking 30 + years ago though, but, i was also told, if you want to be a professional footballer and earn decent money (obviously very different to todays earnings), football is not the one as you will have to be in the top 1 or 2%. If you want to earn money as a sportsman, go play golf, you can earn very good money without being anywhere near the top.

So i am waffling, but its very easy to sit here as keen amateur sportsmen and say, i would love to play "sport" for a living and would go play it for "x" a year but in reality i think it would be very different, especially as with the topic you are perhaps over hyped and made to believe you are better than your are and can earn "x" or be part of a trophy winning team, especially at early twenties, i wouldnt have trusted myself to sit the right way round on a toilet at that age, let alone make life changing career decisions :)

Edited by Jetpilot

He wanted to leave as he was fed up being played out of position. Seems fair enough to me, not unlike someone leaving a job because instead of managing accounts, they were being asked to do the filing all the time.

Money is not the driving force, I'm pretty sure of that. Of course, the top guys who have the choice of Chelsea @£100K pa or Barca @£200K pa might well go for the Spanish side, but then so would every other single person in the whole world.

I'd rather stay warming the bench at Chelsea where I might get a chance to break into the first team and prove how good I was and win the title, rather than drop down a league and play every day and win nothing of note ever. That's just common sense. I think you're also forgetting that for every Rooney or Sterling there's a James Chester or a Michael Kightly, who really aren't earning the mega bucks despite playing in the same league. A footballer's career is a very short one, even if they were purely after the money I don't blame them at all for that: They're one bad tackle away from never playing again, and then what do they do?

Get a 'normal' job and live quite happily?

I don't blame Sterling for wanting a better offer, after all Rodgers was the one saying he was 'Messi like' not too long ago, you can't have it both ways.

The big issue is that it has all been played out in public via his agent which will most likely work in terms of getting him a bumper deal at Liverpool or a mega bucks move, trouble is it makes him look very bad in the public eye...

I am not a fan of Rodgers really, he comes across as a smug big head, which is no bad thing in football, but only after you have actually won things. Not sure how true it is but didn't he tell LVG that he could ring him if he needed advice on the English Game? Why would someone like LVG who has been successful in 3 or more countries want advice from someone who has won bugger all :shrug: Also made me smile when he made a particular point of saying he would NOT make the same mistakes Spurs did with the Suarez (Bale) money., that worked out well didn't it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by spursmaddave

I don't know why people go on about player loving or not loving the club. Why would they? It's a job at the end of the day and you play for who hires you, unlike supporters who can pick and choose who they play for.

There is a spider diagram when it comes to deciding on signing for a club. It consists of only 3 things: possible success, playing time and money.

If you are at the top of the game, success and money tend to come hand in hand, but then you may sacrifice playing time, so it may be worth trying to sign for a slightly less successful team at a lower wage, but to get more playing time. This is where Sterling is and if he decides to sign for a better club, he'll lose playing time and won't be able to develop as well as he will at Liverpool.

I don't know why people go on about player loving or not loving the club. Why would they? It's a job at the end of the day and you play for who hires you, unlike supporters who can pick and choose who they play for.

It wasn't so long ago that you got players who wanted to play for a certain team - like Giggs, Scholes, even Gerrard and Beckham at one time. Sadly those days seem to be behind us now and players do tend to play for the likelihood of success and/or money these days (as demonstrated by those last two) - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does remove that passion for the club as a driving force to improve. I think it's brought up so often as it's something that seemed a lot more in the past than it does now, whether it actually has any bearing on anything tangible is debatable at best though.

This is where Sterling is and if he decides to sign for a better club, he'll lose playing time and won't be able to develop as well as he will at Liverpool.

One might be able to argue (or is that rationalise, perhaps?) that a given player may benefit more developmentally from competing for a place in a better team week after week than not being pushed for a place in a lesser team. You could see it as a player is going to develop more playing every match over a season at Newcastle or Hull team, for example, than playing a dozen games for Chelsea over the season, or that there's going to be more competition for places in that Chelsea squad so whilst he may not make it into the matches he may well still be developing at a higher rate than simply walking into the Hull team without even trying every week.

At Liverpool, there's not huge competition for places so is he really being pushed to develop if he stays? On the other hand, is there even any point in developing at all if you're not being played? :lol:

I would say he would develop better, regardless of playing time, but under a better manager and team mates. In all fairness much of a talent as Ronaldo was, it was Fergie who developed that talent to make him one of the worlds best, imho of course.

For me though the issue is age, he is 20, plenty of years left in him, look at Zaha who was almost impossible to mark and an absolute nightmare to defend against has only just resurfaced after sitting on the bench, in fact his ability when I last saw him he had gone backwards. There are plenty of young players that try to make that big jump too early and flounder, Liverpool are hardly lower league team, he can make his way to 22/23 be much more consistent and accomplished a player. How would Harry Kane have developed this year if he had 5 starts and 10 sub appearances sitting on the Chelsea bench? If anything he is a better player than Sterling yet Sterling is talking about wanting to play for title winning teams, he clearly is getting bad advice by people looking to make money out of him, not him making money out of his own talent.