Newbie Questions!

moff

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while as I have been researching the purchase of my next car.

I am currently on my 2nd S2000 (2006 car) which I love to bits, but the time has come for something new.

Current choice is between a new 350Z (obviously) and a used Z4M Coupe. If I get the Z it will be a company car, but I am also considering the Z4M if I opt out of our car scheme. It will mainly depend on the mileage that I am likley to do.

Anyway, I have been lucky enough to have been driving an 07 350Z in Midnight blue for the past week - goes back to Nissan UK on Friday. I have enjoyed driving it, but have a few questions...

1) Ipod connectivity - can this be achieved? I really do not want to use one of those radio style adapters as they sound poor

2) Pearl white with Alezan Interior - anyone got any pics as this is my preferred colour choice.

3) Fuel consumptions - I do have a heavy right foot, but I am averaging 16-17mpg - is this normal? (not been doing any motorways though).

4) Any timescales for a new model?

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while as I have been researching the purchase of my next car.

I am currently on my 2nd S2000 (2006 car) which I love to bits, but the time has come for something new.

Current choice is between a new 350Z (obviously) and a used Z4M Coupe. If I get the Z it will be a company car, but I am also considering the Z4M if I opt out of our car scheme. It will mainly depend on the mileage that I am likley to do.

Anyway, I have been lucky enough to have been driving an 07 350Z in Midnight blue for the past week - goes back to Nissan UK on Friday. I have enjoyed driving it, but have a few questions...

1) Ipod connectivity - can this be achieved? I really do not want to use one of those radio style adapters as they sound poor

2) Pearl white with Alezan Interior - anyone got any pics as this is my preferred colour choice.

3) Fuel consumptions - I do have a heavy right foot, but I am averaging 16-17mpg - is this normal? (not been doing any motorways though).

:welcome:

How did you wangle a car for a week out of Nissan???

Any ipod thingy would need to be an aftermarket option i think....

Pearl white has only just been added to the uk colours but there should be some pics of imports on here somewhere...

I averaged 24 mpg in my zed 17-17 does sound like a lot of traffic and then hard driving :teeth:

New model around recently so there shouldn't be a new one for a couple of years....

:thumbs:

Thanks for the welcomes :)

My company is quite big and uses MasterLease. When we are getting a new company car we are permitted to get 3 extended test drives which MasterLease organise.

There are some pics on the S2ki website

The car has been supplied by Nissan Fleet. Actually, I also had the roadster for a week too. But found it too heavy and crashy on B roads, more of a cruiser IMO.

I thought the Ipod thing would need to be aftermarket. Still makes me laugh that the 07 Z has a cassette player :D Does anyone know if a Denison system will work?

In my S2000 I have an Alpine 9850Ri which has a good lead connecting to my Ipod with full menu functionality - would like to have a similar system.

Quick pic of the Z and my S2000 in my garage:

483541.jpg

Hi all,

:welcome:

How did you wangle a car for a week out of Nissan???

Any ipod thingy would need to be an aftermarket option i think....

Pearl white has only just been added to the uk colours but there should be some pics of imports on here somewhere...

I averaged 24 mpg in my zed 17-17 does sound like a lot of traffic and then hard driving :teeth:

New model around recently so there shouldn't be a new one for a couple of years....

+1 except I get about 25-26 average. The fuel consumption in the Bimmer will be a lot more as you tend to burn more waiting at side roads while no-one lets you out naturally assuming you are a to$$er. :D

Welcome to the site. :thumbs:

Hi and welcome :thumbs:

I read you thread on the s2k owners club and tbh i would make up your own mind about the car, everybody on this site loves the z and yes maybe slightly biased on there opinions (me included) but i'm quite sure if you owned a z and were looking to buy a s2000 we would have the same views as some of the people on your thread.....350z outdated tut tut.

Hi and welcome :thumbs:

I read you thread on the s2k owners club and tbh i would make up your own mind about the car, everybody on this site loves the z and yes maybe slightly biased on there opinions (me included) but i'm quite sure if you owned a z and were looking to buy a s2000 we would have the same views as some of the people on your thread.....350z outdated tut tut.

+1

The boxters outdated! :lol:

One of the quotes

Said it before, will say it again. The 350Z is NO sports car. The car flatters to deceive and is nowhere near as good as some magazines would have you believe. It's real problem is the weight. It feels 'pointy' but push beyond that and I always found it would lurch into understeer. The chassis is good in the respect that oversteer is easy to control and modulate, but I soon got sick of juggling between dull understeer and mad mad oversteer, dull understeer mad mad oversteer.

The build quality is absolute pish as well 2 clutches in 10,000 miles, more blinking lights than a christmas tree.

Consumption? Like you observed, absolutely shocking. Even trying to get decent consumption was nigh on impossible. I commute 100 miles a day and it would cost me at least £100 a week in petrol.

By the way i'm sick of writing about crap cars so I'm not even going to mention why you shouldn't even consider the 3.0 Z4.

Good reviews as always though

Sorry these sorts of quotes pi$$ me off

I do try and be as impartial as possible.

My comment on the age of the 350Z is due to reading (on here) about a replacement due in 2009.

Since I am getting a new car I still don't know if I want to have a car that will be an 'old model' a year after purchase.

I am very much 50/50 on which car to go for, I love the Z, it's not perfect but it's a great car.

I won't get drawn into any S2000 vs 350Z posts, I fully agree that I shouldn't expect to get impartial opinions on both sites. However, I have been on the S2ki site for nearly 6 years and know the people with 'valued' opinions and those without :)

I haven't come on here in order to ask a which car is better question, only too seek model specific advice / answers which I know there is loads!

Kenwood system looks excellent, and exactly the sort of system I would probably buy :thumbs:

If you want a car that turns heads then the 350z will definitely get more second glances than the bmw or your s2000 at the moment. You've driven them all so you know what you're dealing with. I understand your worry at possible shape changes but an announcement can come out AFTER you've bought any car so at least your forewarned. Any previous cosmetic changes in the past have been barely noticeable. To be honest, most people have to put up with a shape change at some point unless you change your car very regulary and if you're gonnna do that then so what?

:welcome: i had a Dension ice -link fitted last week to my bose

works fine !! :thumbs:

How much does it cost and fit if you don't mind me asking?

If I could afford it I would keep my S2000 forever, but after having 2 in 5 years I really feel I need something new.

I drove a 350Z about 2 years ago just before I got my 2nd S2k but still wasn't ready to leave a roadster behind.

The recent power increase and more flexible engine (really likes to be revved) have swayed my opinion back again.

Now it is all down to price based on how many miles I am likely to do in a new job I am about to start. Lots of miles and I will choose the 350Z, average miles and I will go for the Z4M Coupe.

Does anyone have any pics of a white Z with orange interior?

Finding it a nightmare on Google to track some down!