Driver awareness course and admiral insurance

Crb

Well today I found out that Admiral actually treat a driver speed awareness course the same as 3 points and a conviction. My new insurance company Adrian flux don't, but it has caused a few issues... Obviously I told Adrian flux about my wife's speed awareness course she attended and they were quite frank when saying that it's not classed as a conviction..... However because admiral class it as a conviction it's basically flagged up on their system that I've lied to them and they've issued a notice of cancelling my insurance!!! Luckily after talking to them all is being sorted.... Doubt I'll ever use admiral for car insurance after this. Big thumbs up for Adrian flux tho ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

I even phoned admiral and they're answer was "well she's been caught speeding so we are treating it as a conviction"

Adrian flux answer to that was "well that's why you pay the £80 and do the course" (top answer btw lol)

Adrian flux issued a 7 day notice to cancel my insurance based on information sent from admiral. Once I'd clarified it with Adrian flux tho, all I have to do is email them her clean driving licence and everything will be fine. pi**ed off at admiral tho.

Why anyone declares them is beyond me.

Not a conviction and not available in any way to an insurance company through the databases.

Personally I think they're being proper out of order asking about it as the point of the course is that is specifically aims to educate rather than penalise you.

Insurance companies suck balls.

• Like 7

Not a conviction and not available in any way to an insurance company through the databases.

Only the police have access to who has been on awareness courses and this information is held on the police computer. As I understand it, a roadside check by the Police will not show up a speed awareness course, presumably this will only show up on a secure terminal...at least that's what I've heard.

Pete

The advice given by the people who do the speed awareness courses is not to declare. The insurance companies have no legal right to know.

But if they ask, you do have to tell them, you can't lie.

The advice given by the people who do the speed awareness courses is not to declare. The insurance companies have no legal right to know.

And here in lies the problem.

Insurance companies have no moral right to ask but they CAN ask almost anything they like.

Answer untruthfully and you've committed fraud.

I dunno, I think they should ask about the awareness course. Whether you look at it as a positive thing (more aware of the risks) or a negative one (caught speeding in the first place), it should still have an impact on the premium.

Quite honestly, I think I'd prefer them to treat a SAC the same as an SP30. Maybe not fashionable to say on a motoring forum, but there you go.

• Like 1

Only the police have access to who has been on awareness courses and this information is held on the police computer. As I understand it, a roadside check by the Police will not show up a speed awareness course, presumably this will only show up on a secure terminal...at least that's what I've heard.

Pete

And even then it's not just one database, as it's different for each county i.e. You get caught in one county, you do the course (You then can't do it again for 5 years I think) But if you get caught in another county, you can go on the course again. So I've been told as it happened to a friend.

And here in lies the problem.

Insurance companies have no moral right to ask but they CAN ask almost anything they like.

Answer untruthfully and you've committed fraud.

what happens if you decline to answer ?

If you commit another speeding offence within 3 years you are not allowed to go on another speed awareness course.

Pete

And even then it's not just one database, as it's different for each county i.e. You get caught in one county, you do the course (You then can't do it again for 5 years I think) But if you get caught in another county, you can go on the course again. So I've been told as it happened to a friend.

Never been asked by a insurnance broker about being on a speed awareness course. The whole point of a speed awareness course is to avoid the penalty. If they refused to insure me, because I refused to tell them, I would just find somebody else.

Pete

3 years ... and I've done three now ... in different counties ... luckily I live within about 10 miles of four different counties so happy days ... and I hasten to add

1 was 33 in a 30 in the Aston

1 was 44 in a 40 in the wife's Arosa

1 was a minor overtaking infringement in the Merc

not proud ... just sayin'

Edited by ATTAK Z