Fuel=does 97+99/2=98?

chips

Ok so I recently raised a fuel question and the results showed we've got a few petrol gurus out there. I got a lot out of it.

Following on from that I've been wondering something and this one is just out of interest.

Does a mix of 1 part 97 and 1 part 99=98 ron?

And Yes, I got my calculator out and I found that mathematically it does.

What I'm wondering is does blending work that way also or does the way the manufacturing/composition of the fuels mean that isn't the case?

Just wondering here. there's no financial or other motive behind it, I don't think there's any price difference between them so it wouldn't be worth it.....

ok that just brought me to thinking......

maybe there is....

99x3

+

95x1

/4

=98

cheers.

Yes it says 98 on the 370 cap too, but the advice from people including Mark at Abbey is that 97 and above is fine. I've used 97 in all three of my 370s because that's the RON of the non standard stuff at my usual fill up station (Esso). I dont think 97 RON is routinely available in Japanese petrol stations, which might explain the reference to 98 on the 370 cap(?)

The key thing is to avoid the standard stuff.

Edited by sipar69

I dont think 97 RON is routinely available in Japanese petrol stations, which might explain the reference to 98 on the 370 cap(?)

You're right. Japan has 96 RON with the next one up being 100 RON.

Pete

Does a mix of 1 part 97 and 1 part 99=98 ron?

It's complicated :) . For a start RON numbers are always rounded up so the RON number 99 will probably be 98.7 max. I know this because I worked in the laboratories at Stanlow and on nights I used to on the odd occasion nip down to the engine labs and do an octane rating. Next, to get a homogeneous mix , you would need blend the fuels using an approved mixer for a couple of hours at least, simply dumping 5 gallons of 98 RON on top of 5 gallons of 95 RON in your petrol tank wouldn't work. Thirdly and most importantly there's the question of additives. 98 RON costs more for a reason, it contains all sorts of additives that 95 RON doesn't have so even if you do manage to thoroughly mix the 2 fuels together you'll finish up with a watered down blend of additives. If your favorite garage has no 98 RON fuel and you're forced to put a few quids worth of 95 RON in then it's best to use it up before adding 98 RON.

Pete

The additive packs are where it's at. A friend that works at the Fawley refinery told me that you're essentially filling up a petrol tanker with fuel plus additives plus slops. Cheaper fuels have more slops, and fewer additive packs. It sounds plausible that within the standard for composition of fuels that there's allowance for getting rid of petrochemical by products in the consumer distribution network.

Anyway. In short, I've used V-Power in every car except my old RX-8 where there was no point.

Apologies for the "a friend" hearsay-ness but I thought it worth the prompt to learn more about the world of petrochemical distribution, which I found to be quite interesting.

I find v power is around 6p more expensive than Esso's 97 premium range so I would prefer to use Esso's now tbh. I've been loyal enough to v power but it's s bit of a joke their price I mean.

Tesco doesn't give me good mpg. They add in a lot of ethanol to up the octane rating so it's not the same as other 99 Ron fuels. It's like putting in 95 with an octane booster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to see some really definitive work on this subject from one of the major car mags because there appears to be so much ill-researched nonsense bandied about on the topic...

There's plenty of definitive information on the subject available, however it's much more complex than "what's better" so people as whole don't bother to try to understand it for themselves and subsequently end up reciting whatever ill-researched nonsense they themselves were told.

• Like 1