What exhaust? - changing from japspeed k1

adam_350z

Hi all,

Bought my 350z with a japspeed k1 on it. However im sick of the drone on the motorway and when cruising - even with baffles in place.

In terms of looks i like the cobra resonated system most, however im worried its still going to be quite droney? Which pushes me to the scorpion but im not a great fan of the tips. I dont want a quiet exhaust under full throttle i just want rid of the drone.😠

Anybody with the cobra resonated able to put my mind at ease?

Some say their Cobra drones, others say it doesn't. In my opinion, the latter are in denial :lol:

Pretty much all aftermarket exhausts will drone a little, it's personal preference how much you can deal with. The Milltek is pretty quiet until you mash the accelerator, but it's also quite pricey.

+1 for invidia Gemini and depending on what your y pipe is or it's condition is if that also needs replacing the price of the invidia is not much more than a complete cobra cat back system. If you y pipe is good though and your on a budget cobras a good option also, and I seen you can get the miltek system from y pipe back from Clark Motorsport

I have a Scorpion and it doesn't drone one bit. It's also not that raspy, no popping or farting either,

It's loud enough for you to realise your running an aftermarket exhaust but quiet enough for that stealth mode if the revs are kept below 3k.

Invidia gemini looks lovely, but i aint paying a grand for an exhaust. Especially when you only see the rear of it ðŸ˜

Scorpion is a possibility then. Im guessing the resonated cobra will still be a lot quieter than the japspeed?

One thing to note with the Scorpion - I had issues with fitment, it was fouling the rear axle/chassis so required some heat on a bracket and a bit of bullying to bend to a better fit.

Quality wise, it's cheaper for a reason I guess. But having said that, it does make a good noise :D

The problem with the interwebs... how much is a small amount of drone :(

The real problem is everyone hears things differently.

Personally I think you really need to hear these things in person though so you may be best off going to a local meet. At least that way you won't spend money on an exhaust system you don't like because you find it drones.

I've got a cobra resonated going up for sale. It does drone a little at a certain rpm but once going on the motorway it's quiet until you put your foot down. Has a great v6 sound.

If I remember it droned a little if say you drive in 5th/6th at slowish speed..

Just fitted a Motordyne and this doest drone at all now it's bedded in.

i have a cobra resonated, the only time it drones is if you go full throttle in 5th or 6th at 2,000 rpm. It also started worse, but got quieter as it was run in, so much so that I don't notice it anymore. but cruising on the motorway its fine, as you're above 2,000 rpm. and in addition it sounds great over 3,000rpm, and pops and crackles when its warm.

Cobra resonated fitted to a HR here, it drones between 2000-2500 rpm, it gets on my tits a bit, but when cruising I learn to drive around it, either up or down a gear. If you are hung over its not a great noise haha.

I can't say that everyone who says it doesn't drone is lieing, but I can definitely hear it.

On the plus side, it does sound pretty damn good

• 2 weeks later...

how about a japspeed k2?

i had one and thought it was great. Looks standard, quiet on idle/normal driving, but give it some beans and it makes a lovely noise thats not too in your face.

a lot of people slate them for their build quality. But i didnt have a problem with either of my k1s or my k2.