Finally got a zed! But now I have a CEL..

AdrianL

Hi guys,

Finally got my hands on a zed! Such a nice car, but on my second day of ownership the CEL came on.

I've ran through the procedure to get the codes and I got the following (pumping the accelerator and watching it flash):

P1212 / ABS/TCS Communication Line

P2001 / ????

P1273 / Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1

The 2001 appears invalid when I've looked it up, but I've double checked and that's the code I got.

Details: 2004 350Z GT - UK Model - 71k miles.

Injen air intake, kinetix upper plenum

Borla high flow headers

high flow cats

HKS full stainless exhaust titanium tips

Engine grounding kit

Any ideas? Pretty annoyed to have this issue on my second day of ownership.. I've barely driven it and daren't drive it until this is sorted :(

Many thanks in advance..

Adrian

Edited by AdrianL

Welcome to the forum.

Is your CEL on constantly or flashing?

If its flashing it's more serious and your right in not driving it. If it's constant, don't panic.

O2 sensor faults are pretty common place, especially on zeds with high flowing exhaust set ups. There could be a few reasons for this.

Has your car been remapped after these mods were carried out? An UPREV map from abbey, hdev or rs tuning? The reason I ask is an intake, a Plenum, manifolds, hfc and exhaust will be quite free flowing and could possibly be making it run a bit lean and causing the CEL when the fuel trims can't compensate. Also, if it hasn't been remapped you will be feeling no benefits from any of the mods as the stock ecu detunes it back to standard.

It could be as simple as a loose connection on the sensor.

The Abs one, would need to be looked into, it's not that common but again, likely to be a loose connection or sensor.

If it was me, I would reset the codes and go for a drive. Find a nice safe place to test the abs and make sure it still works.

See if the codes come back on and let us know if they do.

In the mean time, order yourself a cheap OBD2 reader from eBay for £20 or get a obd2 Bluetooth dongle and download a phone app such as torque on Android. This will let you read and reset the codes quicker and easier and also actually monitor what the o2 sensors are doing.

And try and enjoy the car.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Wow what an awesome welcome and response, thank you!

It's a constant CEL, not flashing.

I'll clear the codes tonight and give it a little run out. It hasn't been remapped, sounds like I may have to get the remap done sooner than I thought :-o

I do have a Bluetooth OBD reader and tried using torque but it said it couldn't talk to the ECU? It had definitely connected to the Bluetooth device, which was powered.

I've used the same reader on other cars too.

I have a diagnostic cable for VAG and another for BMW - could I use these at all? Or is it likely I would need a new one?

Hey Wilf! Thanks for your help last night mate :) you'll have to come see the car soon.

Thanks again guys will post back soon, and get some pics up too!

Adrian

Welcome aboard Adrian, ....think Sams covered all your problems. ;)

With that list of mods it really should be remapped as your not getting any of the benefits having them. You're not going to get huge numbers but still at least you'll know the cars correctly mapped for all the mods the car has. :thumbs:

Didn't think about this last night but ABS/TCS could be caused by wheel and tyre combo. Zeus are very particular.

That would probably just make the brakes fire at inopportune moments, Id say it was more likely a problem with the ABS actuator or a physical problem with the wioring harness :)

P2001 seems to be O2 sensor related as well, something to do with NOx ........ good luck :)

Hi guys,

That's good about the unknown error!

Went for a drive last night and the CEL didn't turn back on, but will have another look tonight.

Just popped into RS tuning and they seem to be on the same line as you guys so I think I'll get it in to them for a remap after I've sorted the service.

The tyres are 255/35/19 and 285/35/19.

Thanks guys,

Adrian :)

Went for a drive again tonight and the light came back on, got the following:

P0139 - HO2S12 Slow Response

P0159 - HO2S22 Slow Response

P1146 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Minimum Voltage Monitoring Bank 1

Definitely sounds exhaust related then? Think it's safe to drive for the weekend? I'm still a bit worried to drive it until I get it mapped!

:welcome: Along congrats on the purchase :thumbs:

I think - 255/35/19 and 285/35/19 is wrong - I think you need a 255/40/19 on the front to make that work - what we really need is Buster (the man that lives for tyre size's)

Hopefully when he has slept of his jet lag he will comment :)

Also where are you based lot's of members with ODBC readers that will work - you could compare notes :thumbs:

hi m8....tyre sizes are ok so no problem there........you says its an abs /tcs code your getting.....could be an abs sensor fault or if the steering wheel has been removed or rack been replaced and refit slightly out on the splines this will put the light on....

hi m8....tyre sizes are ok so no problem there........you says its an abs /tcs code your getting.....could be an abs sensor fault or if the steering wheel has been removed or rack been replaced and refit slightly out on the splines this will put the light on....

Smart arse :p

Cheers though :)

:lol:

Smart arse :p

Cheers though :)

:lol:

pmsl

Sweet. I tried the ABS and it seems to be working OK. I think the ABS/TCS lights came on when I tried plugging in the OBD reader actually. Weird that it doesn't work for me though, as it's worked in other cars... maybe it's broken!

I'm just south of Leeds. Updated my profile :)

hi m8....tyre sizes are ok so no problem there........you says its an abs /tcs code your getting.....could be an abs sensor fault

Wouldnt it throw up an ABS sensor fault code if that was the case though?

Id bet a penny to a pound that replacing the O2 sensors will clear the other codes too :)

Dude......285 tyres I would love on the rear of mine........sadly I've got the standard 18s with 245 :( I'm not dissin the original wheels, but I've just got a soft spot for wide tyres :). Hope alls well with your one and is sorted ASAP