Le Mans 24hr - Anyone going or Been before?

Yes, 4 times now- It's brilliant.

Don't expect any sleep. :lol:

Consider purchasing Grandstand seats - if it rains you will be dry -ish, if its hot - you will have shade -ish.

EnRoute - Cops are about, be very careful with your speed especially in villages - if not going by Autoroute (Motorway)

On Motorways - they did have Average speed camera's between tolls, so take a rest break between toll stations.

Presuming you are camping - Paddling pool essential - to keep you and drinks cool. The Ice Man comes round the site daily for top ups !

The biggest Water Pistol you can by for antics on local roundabouts !!!!!

As for the more practical stuff - Get your Ferries booked now and Camping Reservations asap.

I will have loads of other stuff/advise.

What sort of things do you want to know ?

• Like 1

The cops are pretty ruthless. I've been a couple of times, and on one occasion one of the chaps was done for speeding. He was frogmarched to the nearest cash line for his 600 euro fine and had his license confiscated, he was only doing 120 kph in a 90 zone, yards from the start of a 120 limit.

They clock you from bridges on the motorway and pull you at the next toll, no arguing, on the spot or you're walking. So take some fine money, just in case.

The main stand at the start/finish line is free, standing, and is worth getting there early for the start, not to be missed.

• Like 1

Will - When I spotted you had posted I was having expected to read that you'd driven in 3 of them and won one in a GT40.

George - yeah, poor Ian. That was a sad end to an epic week for him.

I had hoped to go again this year, but changes to family have put pay to that. It'll be a few years before I get chance now.

• Like 4

Haha, Ian, the most tight fisted man in the world, came to Le Mans with two tins of beans and not a pot to **** in :lol:

Happy days :)

In his one man tent that you could barely lay down in, never mind sleep.

Then there was the beer mountain and the whisky wall. Oh happy days.

• Like 1

Will - When I spotted you had posted I was having expected to read that you'd driven in 3 of them and won one in a GT40.

I had hoped to go again this year, but changes to family have put pay to that. It'll be a few years before I get chance now.

No Lexx, but I did work as Team Manager for the Jacki Epstein Team IBEC, with Tony Trimmer, Tif Nedell and Ian Bracey sponsored by Lloyd of London. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill

No Lexx, but I did work as Team Manager for the Jacki Epstein Team IBEC, with Tony Trimmer, Tif Nedell and Ian Bracey sponsored by Lloyd of London. :thumbs:

:worthless:
  • Like 1

If you haven't booked up already, you're going to struggle to get anything at this point.

Some places have a handful of camping sites left, but they won't be the better ones. Saying that, as long as you have somewhere to sleep, then that's all that matters really! Tickets for the main event can be bought on the gate, but for ease you might as well just pay the extra and get them from your operator. I'd definitely get a grandstand, that way you're guaranteed the sun is going to shine all weekend whereas if you didn't then you know it's going to rain ;) Le Mans is one of those events that's different for everyone, and there's no right or wrong way to enjoy it.

And I'll second the 'don't speed' thing. Having had my licence confiscated and relieved of 750EU at a cash point (never mind them chasing me for another 750EU when I got home), I can confirm they don't much around. That said, you can have a laugh with the gendarmes when they're trying to fill the paperwork out and you don't speak French: You try miming 'plumber'...! :lol:

You try miming 'plumber'...! :lol:

Easy. Think of a 1980's coffee advert and youre mostly there :p

Are paddling pools allowed now then? They have been banned for the last 8 years or so Id thought?

We are levelling up even further this year, plans are under way for a beer pump/cooler unit and we have a cunning plan for power too :D

• Like 1

Photos or it didn't happen ;)

Tiff Needell is my dads cousin, I was asking him if he knew you, he says he can't remember you :shrug:

Tiff Needell is my dads cousin, I was asking him if he knew you, he says he can't remember you :shrug:

Ask Tiff if he remembers this pile of poo..!!

Then ask him what was Ian Bracey's "nickname" :thumbs:

63613_113327605406234_4614562_n.jpg?oh=00a04cf876e896e85539861604756aca&oe=55B02645&__gda__=1434228030_fc9296cdb9ce34b4c439670aae64c697

164352_113327592072902_4240350_n.jpg?oh=8a52378dc4134f586c0de05eef40b133&oe=557EE7C9

34793_113327645406230_2313779_n.jpg?oh=f7980e953b05b38e8c3558d9058d4674&oe=557FCE3F&__gda__=1434287172_7aa4f18aad0c3dc18715c9b8ae1fcc80

Will do as soon as I get a chance. What did you actually manage within the team?

General dogs body, arranging transport to LeMans, make sure everybody had passes.

Get the car to centre of town for the parade on Wed eve, make sure the drivers are there.

Make sure they knew the signing in schedule, make sure they are ready for practice, make sure the

cars get through scrutineering, make sure, make sure,..!!! :scare: :scare:

Arguing with the French about qually times, which they fiddled

and put 2 French cars in front of us. Then helping with timing and pit signalling at

Mulsanne Corner in those days, only communication you had with the pits was a black wind up telephone,

Oh and try and get some sleep..!!

Happy Days, especially when its pi55ing down in the middle of the night..!! :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 3

lol sounds like a laugh! How long did you do that for? Suspect it would wear you out pretty fast doing all of that?

Did 3 Le Mans with Jackie Epstein's Team.

Adrenaline keeps you going during the weekend but when its over

you are absolutely knackered and you still have to pack up and get the car and transported home

wouldn't or couldn't do it now. :surrender:

Ask Tiff if he remembers this pile of poo..!!

Then ask him what was Ian Bracey's "nickname" :thumbs:

63613_113327605406234_4614562_n.jpg?oh=00a04cf876e896e85539861604756aca&oe=55B02645&__gda__=1434228030_fc9296cdb9ce34b4c439670aae64c697

164352_113327592072902_4240350_n.jpg?oh=8a52378dc4134f586c0de05eef40b133&oe=557EE7C9

34793_113327645406230_2313779_n.jpg?oh=f7980e953b05b38e8c3558d9058d4674&oe=557FCE3F&__gda__=1434287172_7aa4f18aad0c3dc18715c9b8ae1fcc80

Beansy (my Google Foo is awesome....)

As I recall, that car didn't qualify as the average time was in the bottom two for their group and thus never raced.