Fueltopia Barrel Sprint - My First round

StevoD

On Saturday i enter my first ever competitive event after seeing it in 2012 during a rwyb day at santa pod and having been interested in drifting it got my attention, back then i had just a next to stock s14 and had never even had a practise drift day i had always said i will try it at some point. On that day i saw this car competing little did i know the owner of that car would be future Team Mate with the Tarmac Sport Motorsport Team

156546_351969084861225_1889029020_n.jpg?oh=863798eab7d76736153c591653f56e4e&oe=557C8889&__gda__=1434152202_e55568c362c611789153a85cc1c9b38b

i had spoken with Matt (aliveboy to everyone on here) and since the partnership was formed about getting into FBS, but as 2014 went on with loss of family members and half the family facing redundancy the idea took a back seat, Well with 2015 i decided that it would be the year of doing, so when the first round was announced i knew i had to do what i can to be there which as it turn out involved driving back from a site job for 4 hours each way just to do it.

So what actually is the Fueltopia Barrel Sprint? Well there are two lanes and 3 barrels spaced about 100 feet on each lane, Drivers race in each lane like traditional drag racing but each driver must pass cleanly around each barrel. You get from 10-2 for practise, Then you have 5 qualifying runs to post your fast time, then the top 16 of each class (Fwd,Rwd and Awd) go into a knock out competition similar to the of drifting competitions. and you score point for a championship title.

10945390_10153099658177731_4069922217379953632_o.jpg

So My day started at 7am loading up the car with tyres and tools to head down for driver sign on and tech inspection. of which passed with flying colours, Turns out i picked a bad day to start as the First round of 2015 had a record number of entries of around 35-40 cars, having a look around the pits there was some serious machinery out to play, But i lined up for my first ever run, and it was a disaster be it my fault or the car it just didn't go well i couldn't get the car to pirouette around the barrels often taking them out but run after run it got better trying different combination's of routes and 1st gear or 2nd gear.

11018675_10155533646610508_1417327280116721786_o.jpg

So after finally dialling in some good runs and hitting a few barrels, it was time for qualifying, I was put into group 3 with 8 other cars, My first run was clean but slow coming in with a 24.694 seconds.

The next 3 runs just went down hill with a 29.149/25.13 and a DNF so passing out the lanes, so it came down to my final run all or nothing The run was clean despite the diff not locking and rolling around the barrels, i was clocked at 23.644. But was it enough?

11001561_10153099658827731_8072275246522099907_o.jpg

All driver where called to a drivers briefing where they listed the car that had qualified and despite a bowler wildcat competing posting times in the 30s and two driver not posting any times, i had failed to qualify for the rwd class. with the number 16 spot doing a 21 second pass, i need to find 2-3 second to even qualify so alot of practise and get a diff and a hydraulic handbrake sorted for the next round i do.

11018792_10153099657207731_92536311616535589_o.jpg

Was i upset, No not really i had had the best track/driving event day i had ever had. Coming from only drifting at Santa pod and Norfolk arena i wasn't used to the tight technical course of FBS and i learned how Stupid i had been thinking because i can drift i will be good at this. as turns out i was crap. But i didn't care because it felt like i had taken the next best step i could going to FBS and i will be returning to do it again and i fully recommend everyone give it ago if you have a track day toy or like giving your daily some hard use, get some spare wheels and come give it ago. The atmosphere is very professional with a commentary from the qualifying onwards (although they mocked me for my wing :D ) everyone is welcoming and friendly and willing to help. The series has some very larger sponsorship from Monster Energy and a handful of other big brands so its only going to get bigger and better And best of all all you need to have a go is a helmet a driving license and £35.

11025764_10155537702075508_993148768166845327_n.jpg?oh=f76ba6e32c92341786ccb713577e2c44&oe=55721D83

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 4

The fist ever round I got on TV!

And in every single shot I was smashing into the barrels :lol: I hit those big blocks once or twice on my first weekend too, you did much better first time out than I did :lol:

• Like 1

Probably because you were trying to drift on MPSS, silly.

Looks like you were doing good job Stevo, you'll get there in the end I have no doubt of that. :p

Ian said to let him know when the next one is, he'll join in!

Well done Stevo. :clap:

Never easy doing these type of things/events for the first time.

I remember my first time out on track at Castle Combe back in the late 90's. I was waiting to go out from the pit lane, already nervous as it was a damp day, when a new (at the time) Impreza lost it on practically the straight. :surrender:

I thought if he can't keep it on track what bl**dy hope have I got in my fwd 92 Rover 214si. :blink::lol:

I did ok though although learnt quickly that I needed a more powerful car. :D

Good luck with the rest of it and great write up. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well done Stevo. Admire your dedication.

Reminds me, I had better ring up Rockingham and get my drifting experience booked in :)

Might have to get over to the pod on May 2nd. Haven't been over there for just over a year now.

• Like 1

Got to admire your dedication 4 hour drive each way from work!! :thumbs::clap: You obviously enjoyed it though :drive1 Hope it gets better for you next time, pretty big learning curve too I should imagine?

Got to admire your dedication 4 hour drive each way from work!! :thumbs::clap: You obviously enjoyed it though :drive1 Hope it gets better for you next time, pretty big learning curve too I should imagine?

Yea a big learning curve but will be more than worth it just need s a few keys mods and some more practise and hopefully be able to at least qualify at one event this year :lol:

Edited by StevoD

Reminds me, I had better ring up Rockingham and get my drifting experience booked in :)

Might have to get over to the pod on May 2nd. Haven't been over there for just over a year now.

unfortunately im on pure rally that weekend aliveboy might be there tho,

unless i start that day of pure rally in cardiff and end in Manchester wonder if i can make a small detour for a few hours :lol:

unfortunately im on pure rally that weekend aliveboy might be there tho,

unless i start that day of pure rally in cardiff and end in Manchester wonder if i can make a small detour for a few hours :lol:

Well I'll see one or both of you over there then :)