power for garage - project solar garage

jumping350

I did look at piecing all those together, lights not to much of problem, its tools really when you piece all the cordless stuff together it really adds up and I have the equivalent already though corded.

Plus as I do events as well so wanted something I could use for that to power a LED clock for a couple of hours max, so if I could get something that is portable would be better so would have dual use to it.

If you want to run a kettle or heater in there, then a small generator is your best option.

Cant you rig something up to vent the exhaust to outside?

If its too noisy, stick it in a fireproof/soundproof box with vents. Failing that, wear some ear defenders.

Ive had a plan and am going to go with a Leisure battery, is 110ah too less for my requirements? if I get a 1500 watt inverter is that ok with the 110ah battery?

Hopefully this will work :wacko: this thread may end up a build thread now, will have to get some lower watt lights and a travel kettle to save the battery getting killed off

Edited by jumping350

Even if its temporary like for half a day? I'm going to throw the cable over the roofs at this rate! Unless the council owns the air space between two houses lol

To cross another house even at high level you need wayleave - If you are just running an extension lead for an hour or two I doubt you will get into any trouble, but I'd ask the neighbors first just to be polite.

The council can ask you to remove it but that would be the first thing they would do or at worst a snotty letter would be my guess.

So off the back off Ekonas suggestion im going for Solar power :sun: well at least recharging anyway

picked up an inverter its 1500 watts

ive got hold of a solar panel its 2.4w

im going after a 110ah leisure battery

does any of that sound right :lol:

Edited by jumping350

• 3 weeks later...

little update as I start this:

Still not moved into new garage yet they are on day 21 of 28 days to move me...hmmmm cutting it fine!

Anyway here is what i have to get things going.

110 ah leisure battery

2x 40 watt (80 watts) Solar panels

Solar Controller

Solar cables

Heavy Duty battery cables/terminals

1500w inverter

8 awg wire and fuse which I ripped out of the Subaru because its expensive to buy more :lol:

WP_000068_zpspgzanmkl.jpg

oh and 2 x 10 metre roles of led lights, its going to look like santas grotto :teeth:

WP_000069_zpsfrxaslz6.jpg

need to make a control panel and get some switches and a watt meter, longer cables and few other bits and see how it goes.

Stay tuned for updates though trying to fit a kitchen at the moment so might be a while :scare:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

haven't had much time to mess around with this but I MIGHT (always a big might) be moving into my new garage tommorow so thought I had better test the equipment and start to work on the main panel.

We Have Power Captain!!!

WP_000074_zps3pqgamsn.jpg

Battery is fully charged so the panel shut itself off :doh: but at least it works

WP_000075_zpszqix4kjq.jpg

:lol: its not all properly screwed in yet the switch is just hanging loose and there are many other things to add to it.

Thanks Chris I saw your panel the other day and thought 'mines rubbish compared to that' :lol:

Mate I have enough power to turn the planet backwards :lol:

• Like 3

Mate I have enough power to turn the planet backwards :lol:

The question is have you worked out how many Solar Panels you would need to equal your 3 Phase power :stir:

I am guessing a little patch on the Zed Shed roof probably won't cut it :lol:

I need my own substation - few panels won't do it for me - I still think it's a great way to get some power out there - and good on Jumping for doing the research and having a go -

Huge :thumbs: from me - that and a flask, at least he will be able to do a few bits n bobs B)

• Like 1

bit more fettling and progress, straightened out the light switches for GM :lol: and added a few more and today we have light!!! and its bright B)

WP_000076_zpswm9l1f3r.jpg

I threw a 20 watt solar panel out the window and even on an overcast cloudy day like today I drew in 13.8 watts from the panel which put 1.11 amps back into the battery through charge and because it only took 0.4 amps to light the whole 10 metre reel of lights I should be ahead of the game now with another 60 watts worth of panels to add :thumbs:

WP_000080_zps1knhzata.jpg

Edited by jumping350