Harness bar / brace

Martin_t5r

Just thinking, I guess you can still have the OEM seats and still use harnesses right ?

I know it might not be ideal but if you only do a few track days it'll be better with a harness to keep you locked in a bit more.

(for myself, I'm going to roll with a CG Lock to start with)

Edited by RobPhoboS

Yes, you can keep the OEM seatbelt mounting points no problem :)

He means can he use harnesses with standard seats.

You can not a problem, however there was a thread a while ago on here that said it wasn't advised.

• Like 2

Still cant See how the outside harness is going to sit right it needs to be where the other bar is welded to function correctly having it that close to the seat and on the side of the welded cross beam is going to put it way over 20 degrees

Be intrested to see it with harness and a bucket seat once done :)

I hate to be critical, i really do, i love to see people making stuff, but, given this was designed from scratch i do feel it could have been less fussy and would have been so easy to mount the diagonals clear of the harness "window" so to speak and the main bar also level with the same (just to avoid any angular confusion). I think like the other designs, supports just bolted to the boot floor would be easier so as to not have to cut trim, just carpet, but appreciate this also gives a bit or bracing.I am guessing with the basic jig made it can be tweaked to suit requirements?

Edited by Jetpilot

I hate to be critical, i really do, i love to see people making stuff, but, given this was designed from scratch i do feel it could have been less fussy and would have been so easy to mount the diagonals clear of the harness "window" so to speak and the main bar also level with the same (just to avoid any angular confusion). I think like the other designs, supports just bolted to the boot floor would be easier so as to not have to cut trim, just carpet, but appreciate this also gives a bit or bracing.I am guessing with the basic jig made it can be tweaked to suit requirements?

Unlike the fabricator/designer, I am not the professional, but I suppose all I can say to counter the constructive points, is that for the diagonals to clear the harness, I presume you mean a smaller 'X' so it goes in the middle? I think that will look funny, and aswell as function, the look was a big factor too, but also I really don't see how it affects it. As the bits of steel fall between each harness?

And also with regards to the cutting of bits, one way you have to cut the carpet and drill into the floor? This way only 2 bits of plastic trim needed trimming.. It picks up off existing holes in the rear strut, even uses existing OEM bolts, so I suppose we just thought that was the easiest most hassle free way :)

And yes I understand with the jig it isn't too much bother to tweak slightly to meet people's preferences, as above if people wanted to do away with the welded lug in favor of the loops, that isn't a problem :)

Edited by Scott_f91
  • Like 1

Definitely a great piece of work, please dont think i am picking, just trying to make it fool proof and avoid the questions surrounding the harness and make it a simple group buy for the maker.

I have no issue with cutting trim either but some might find that trickier than putting a slit in the carpet :)

If it was me i would have the diagonals almost to the bend on the main bar (by the seat belt mounting points) and drop the angle a bit so it sits level with the harness "window" but sure the now basic jig is done a little tweaking is no issue :)

maybe its the image but looks like your going to be nearly 70-80 degrees not 20

70-80? Looking at the above picture (the MSA standards one). Side view of the seat, if the bar was exactly horizontal in the middle of the preffered range, that is 0 degrees yes? Well this example is slightly higher than the 0 mark, but within the 10 degrees tolerance, and still in the preffered range. Like your picture posted is not horizontal either, but still within the 10 degree tolerance but the other way.

Where do the harnesses mount/strap on to? As it looks like they can just slide about.

They would wrap around the bar. They will not slide about as the x part will secure stop one sliding, and the other strap is stopped by the lug near the window side :)

You completely missed my point I'm not on about the height of the bar

Definitely a great piece of work, please dont think i am picking, just trying to make it fool proof and avoid the questions surrounding the harness and make it a simple group buy for the maker.

I have no issue with cutting trim either but some might find that trickier than putting a slit in the carpet :)

If it was me i would have the diagonals almost to the bend on the main bar (by the seat belt mounting points) and drop the angle a bit so it sits level with the harness "window" but sure the now basic jig is done a little tweaking is no issue :)

No not atall mate, constructive criticism is something I think should always be welcome!

Great finish, superb welding skills but the design is flawed and will not meet the safety standard as interprete them.

There are some great examples out there and would have been easier to improve on the design.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Thanks Kaveney,

Its looks well made and solidly built. The only concern I have is the mounting points. If I'm not mistaken (I may be!) the rear legs mount on a sheet steel box section. I can see in my car where it bolts in, not quite sure why these bolt holes are present or what they where designed for.

It bolts on the floor in the boot .

WP_20150801_0081_zpsbby5xnwm.jpg

Thanks Kaveney,

Its looks well made and solidly built. The only concern I have is the mounting points. If I'm not mistaken (I may be!) the rear legs mount on a sheet steel box section. I can see in my car where it bolts in, not quite sure why these bolt holes are present or what they where designed for.

It bolts on the floor in the boot .

WP_20150801_0081_zpsbby5xnwm.jpg

Thanks Kaveney,

Could you get some more photos please Kaveney? Thanks

Just a shame it's not a suitable design for harnesses :lol:

How come Grundy?

It's not parallel to the seat. I.e The straps would have to clip on either side of the poll. Where the support bar is welded on, is the ideal position for one of the straps.

What you want to make that design work, is another metal loop added on top of the main harness bar, for the harness, which would also stop them sliding along the bar.

Shitty mock up -

But Green is where the harnesses would sit at the moment,

Red is where they should sit.

As you can see, red won't fit like that because of the design.

JYBZsad.jpg

How come Grundy?

It's not parallel to the seat. I.e The straps would have to clip on either side of the poll. Where the support bar is welded on, is the ideal position for one of the straps.

What you want to make that design work, is another metal loop added on top of the main harness bar, for the harness, which would also stop them sliding along the bar.

Shitty mock up -

JYBZsad.jpg

I get it!

Is there anyway of mounting to rear strut/ shock towers? I'm looking at getting harnesses and seats but not sure where to mount harnesses

How come Grundy?

Shitty mock up -

I get it!

Is there anyway of mounting to rear strut/ shock towers? I'm looking at getting harnesses and seats but not sure where to mount harnesses

It needs hoops like this to stabalise the straps and allow the correct mounting position.

img_8375e__14647_zoom.jpg

IMG_9206.jpg

zbar6.jpg

People have mounted to the rear strut. It's strong enough, however it's not a legit location if you were to get into any competition track/drift work.