370Z Category D repair?

ekallus

it better be cheap to buy, and obviously when you come to sell it, it'll be worth a lot less than a non cat D - and it'll be harder to shift on. so haggle a lot on the price when buying, and expect to be waiting a while for a buyer if you try and sell it.

theoretically the car is fine if all the documentation and evidence of repairs is sound.

what ekona said, basically!

Make sure the V5 states this and that its been inspected and passed. I bought a CAT D mini cooper for the missus. It had a door and cill damage when catogorised. Chap had it repaired through BMW. She said it was the best car he'd ever had. Upshot - if ya happy with buying one, buy one to keep and not to sell on and make a buck or too.

Incidently is cill spelled cill or sill?? can never get this one right lol crap at spelling anyway.

They always seem to be, "very light panel damage," don't they! As others have said, it may not be a problem... but it makes you question how bad it was to effectively write off a £15K+ car... very light panel damage never springs to mind?

Make sure the V5 states this and that its been inspected and passed. I bought a CAT D mini cooper for the missus. It had a door and cill damage when catogorised. Chap had it repaired through BMW. She said it was the best car he'd ever had. Upshot - if ya happy with buying one, buy one to keep and not to sell on and make a buck or too.

Incidently is cill spelled cill or sill?? can never get this one right lol crap at spelling anyway.

Does it have to be 'officially' approved after a Cat D repair? Who can do this?

(I think it's 'sill'...)

Had a more detailed look at the pictures and some of the shut lines just don't look right to me. Difficult to tell I know from pictures and the drivers door might be open slightly? Plus, why no pictures of the passenger side?

Personaly wouldn't risk it

it would take the fun away from owning it if it turned out to be a rotten one

get a very nice late 350 for that money aswell

Yes, I've been looking at 350s but this was so cheap that I was tempted...

Had a more detailed look at the pictures and some of the shut lines just don't look right to me. Difficult to tell I know from pictures and the drivers door might be open slightly? Plus, why no pictures of the passenger side?

Agree. The shutline on the front of the bonnet doesn't look even and I was also worried about the door...

Personaly wouldn't risk it

it would take the fun away from owning it if it turned out to be a rotten one

get a very nice late 350 for that money aswell

Yes, I've been looking at 350s but this was so cheap that I was tempted...

Not always but you tend to get what you pay for but good luck whatever you go for :)

Cat D is just an MOT I think, a neighbours just got himself a big Jag for buttons and he repaired it himself...good as new. C would be a specific check for the cars condition.

But I'd be asking for pic of the damage and any documents relating to the repair and costs

...eg. who did the repair!

Edited by AMT

You can put any Cat car back on the road, but only C, B and A require a VIC certificate :thumbs:

I didn't realise you could put cat A or B back on the road. With motorbikes they have to be broken for parts only ( well that used to be the case anyway)

You can put any Cat car back on the road, but only C, B and A require a VIC certificate :thumbs:

Whilst I usually bow down to your superior knowledge on most things car & law related, I think you're wrong on this; my understanding was that Cat A & B write-offs aren't allowed to be returned to the road - Cat B is salvage parts only, the chassis must the crushed. Cat A is nothing can/should be salvaged.

I could be wrong of course, that wouldn't be unusual but the RAC seem to agree with what I thought (unless it's changed since 2011).

• Like 1

They're wrong. ;)

As a general rule, insurers who write off cars in A and B class do so because the car is pretty much a mess, and you simply wouldn't want to spend that much putting back on the road. Their own 'rules' state (as per your link) that the cars cannot be put back on the road, however as the owner of the car you can do what you want with it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_check

The wiki explains it pretty well. As long as it passes MOT and the VIC, then you're good to go. How am I so certain on this? Because I was proved wrong by a mate who bought a Cat B MX5 off Driftworks, and is driving it perfectly legally. It should never have been a Cat B in the first place, but the insurer classed it as that. When I'm wrong about something, I tend to make sure it never happens again! :lol:

So yeah, you can put anything back on the road, if you can be bothered to do so.

• Like 1