Test Drive - Where?

sailor

Hi, I'm keen on getting a 350z, but have never driven one before. I'd like to do a test drive before purchasing one, but it seems the couple of dealers I've visited only allow a test drive once the deal has been made a price agreed and then allow the drive as a formality. I've found this to be rather odd, as I've always been able to test drive cars at main dealers for Mercedes and Volkswagen in the past by just showing the smallest amount of interest in a vehicle. Having never purchased from an independent dealer before, is this normal practice? Is there anywhere I could test drive a 350z? Preferably in the south of the country.

I also considered hiring a 350z for the day but can't seem to find anywhere online that does this. Any ideas? Thanks

Eh? Its a 10K car, not a 458, why wouldnt they let you test drive it? No-one can expect you to buy a 2nd hand car without trying it first, thats ridiculous. :wacko:

The only place Ive ever been refused a test drive (including spanking new 997's and the like) was a Focus RS when it first came out, and they caved in when I pointed out I wouldnt be spending £35K on something I hadnt tried first .........

If this was me id walk away theres plenty of cars out there to view and test drive.

they cant expect u to sort a deal out on a car u havent test driven . It could have all kinds of faults.

I test drove one main dealer at 18-19 no deposit was taken.

Edited by redzed8

If you're just looking at going out for a ride in one to see how you feel about them, then why not post up whereabouts you are, and see if any members can help out.

No point forking out money to hire one, if there's anywhere that do that.

When I bought my HR zed, I test drove one at a Ford dealership and he had no problems. Salesman came with me to make sure I didnt trash it. We didnt even discuss price until afterwards. He refused to budge a penny on the full screen price so I walked. The only other HR Roadster for sale within 100 miles was at Nissan Birmingham. The test drive they let me have was just driving the car around the block. Literally 5 minutes. I barely got into 3rd gear. Likewise, even with hours of haggling, they also refused to budge on the full screen price although threw some mats in for free.

However, when I bought my beemer, all I wanted was a quick test drive in the car to see if I liked it. They sat me down in the show room and proceeded to go through tons and tons of paperwork, questions about what I was looking for in a car etc. etc. etc. It was ridiculous. That lot took about 45mins alone before they even let me sit in the car which was outside on the forecourt. I guess they figure that stops people just turning up, test driving, then buying from elsewhere?

All a far cry from when I test drove a Lotus Elise back in 2000. I turned up, they gave me the keys to the car and told me to be back in half an hour. Didnt even check my driving license or anything. As it was I took the car back after 10 minutes as I hated it.

• Like 2

My local Mazda dealership are awesome, they just chuck you the keys too and let you go.

I've never had any issues getting test drives in cars, apart from two notable exceptions:

1. Evo 9, for the missus. They wouldn't let her drive it as she was under 25. We went to Subaru and they her drive the Impreza, so we bought one instead.

2. Esprit turbo, for me. Wanted the deal done before I tested it, which simply wasn't going to happen. Walked away and bought a 350Z instead...!

Some dealers just think you're not serious, so don't make the effort. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're not.

I crashed a car on a test drive once (not my fault I might add! :lol: ) it was a total loss for them. They had literally chucked me the keys and said see you in an hour or so, no money, no disclaimer, no checking my license or anything. As it was a vauxhall corsa I basically did them a favour anyway :lol:

• Like 4

Its always awkward for the dealers as they want to make a sale but dont want to spend all day with people just driving their cars about and then not buying. That`s why some of them want to discuss the deal first to try and get a feel about you and if your serious or not.

In the end you are always going to want to drive it before you commit yourself and the dealer knows that but it might depend on your age as to how he lets you go about it. The place i got mine from let me have the keys and said see you in about an hour but then i am a more mature person..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It could also have something to do with the conversation you have with them and how you come across as to how they feel about you and whether you are serious or not.

Simple case of making all the right noises and not being a time waster.

Edited by gsexr

There was an incident not far from me recently where some "nice people"

found an nice big house in Hampstead that was empty and for sale.

They phoned the local Merc main dealer and asked the salesman to

pop around with a new SLS, they had in the showroom. no reason not to

as the house was worth £10mill.

Tied up the sales man and disappeared with the SLS, never to be seen again. :scare: :scare:

Some are great - S2000 was literally "come back before we close, its got half a tank" and the GTR was insane, if you take these 3 numbers and three letters and rearrange them youll get an idea .......... 712 mhp (its not 127 hmp either ;)), TBF every car Ive tested from Marshall Cambridge they have let me do pretty much what I want including giving it some beans, I took the GTR and the Nismo 370 right through my village and past my house :teeth:

The guy I bought the 135i from actually turned the traction control off and tried to get me to drift a roundabout on the test drive :lol:

On the other hand the lady from BMW that kept tutting and huffing when I went over 4K RPM, the private dealer who let me drive an M3 (in heavy traffic I should add) but not press the M button and the private dealer that thought 5 minutes up and down a bypass was a good test drive for a £20K Cayman can do one. :p

• Like 3

Try Tradelink a Zed dealer, they are members on here. :thumbs:

and Welcome to The Forum. :welcome:

Tradelink wouldn't let me test drive a Z. My girlfriend also overheard them say 'he can't afford that' needless to say I promtly left and brought from Hoddeston motor company who were fantastic.

• Like 3

My girlfriend also overheard them say 'he can't afford that' needless to say I promtly left and brought from Hoddeston motor company who were fantastic.

I think that was bmw`s concern as they were very interested in what I did for a living, if id want it on finance etc. etc. They even had a look around my zed and priced that up for a part ex to make sure I was fully aware on how much extra id need to buy the beemer.

• Like 1

Porsche in Towcester also give you the keys.

They Insure you for 2 hours at a Cost of £40 to you and off you go.

I know he area well,so sorted the route I was going to drive. Great Fun !! :D

If you are not getting a Test Drive before you have bought the Vehicle- buy elsewhere

How old are you sailor and what car did you arrive at the dealer in?

I know that this only matters if the dealer was to judge a book by it's cover, but at the end of the day, if you look like a boy racer and arrive in a tarted up Corsa then they're gonna assume you just want a spin.

Making a reasonable real before driving it is fine, on the assumption that the car drives perfect, but of course no money chances hands and I don't think the salmon was looking it to.

• Like 2

Put your location up and a member may offer you a test drive in theirs, then you can get a feel for the car. I'd still want a test drive before agreeing to buy a car from a dealer though to make sure it drives as it should do.