What fuel previous owner used??

Mattle40

Hi all, apologies if this has been posted, the search brought nothing up.

Basically I'm new here, looking to buys a zed and I'm aware of the importance of using premium fuel. But what are the tell tale signs that it's been fueled on sub par fuel? Ultimately, other than taking the sellers word for it, how do you know?

Iv seen a car in the trader but it's a 3hr train away so I need to know as much as poss before my journey, the reason he's selling is he can't afford the running costs so I'm concerned it may have been run on 95ron

Thanks guys

Edit: oh the irony, apologised incase it had been asked before then go and make three posts asking the same question lol doh!! Il blame it on the app!

Edited by Mattle40

If running costs are a problem as the lads above have said you can almost guarantee it's been run on lower octane.

In honesty ifs all very difficult to tell. If a car is more than 3 years old with more than one owner your always running a risk unfortunately.

• Like 2

I would also casually ask "i dont suppose it matters what type of petrol you put in thes cars " As if its a general minor query .If you asked an enthusiast or someone like me whos a complete crank i would probably give you the full on lecture about the consequences of putting low grade fuel in a car of this nature.

Im not the first owner of my car but i still only ever use 98 ron fuel,and if i ever do let the wife drive it she is not allowed to put fuel in it.

I also would look at the tyres as mentioned i would want to see a set of 4 matching tyres and preferably of a known brand the more expensive the tyres the more likely its has been run by someone who can afford to maintain it.

If it had 4x mixed tyres of mixed make i would likely look else where tbh ,that would apply to any sport or prestige car in my book

Thanks everyone.

I'm in a bind as I'm asking a lot for my 5k budget. I'm in the 100k miles region anyway with probably 2-3 owners. I know 100k miles is fine in a well looked after machine but I'm concerned it won't be if previous owners have used 95ron

Thanks everyone.

I'm in a bind as I'm asking a lot for my 5k budget. I'm in the 100k miles region anyway with probably 2-3 owners. I know 100k miles is fine in a well looked after machine but I'm concerned it won't be if previous owners have used 95ron

Mattle, you're looking at quite a tight market for £5K, certainly in terms of finding something decent.

Please don't be offended, but if your initial spend budget is so tight. What makes you think you can afford to run a 350Z? In terms of fuel, tyres, servicing, insurance? These are all important things

I sincerely hope you can find a good deal at that price. Buying is one thing, running it is another. You're worried about whether a previous owner has run it on the correct fuel. Wil you be in a position to run it on 98ron +?

Edited by Bockaaarck

Looking at it from a different point of view.

Let's say iv bought a 54plate 100k miles and no knowledge of what fuel has been used.

Let's assume It's had a lot of regular fuel run through it and damage has been done to some degree.

What can I do? Apart from running it on super from here on out?

Thanks everyone.

Mattle, you're looking at quite a tight market for £5K, certainly in terms of finding something decent.

Please don't be offended, but if your initial spend budget is so tight. What makes you think you can afford to run a 350Z? In terms of fuel, tyres, servicing, insurance? These are all important things

I sincerely hope you can find a good deal at that price. Buying is one thing, running it is another. You're worried about whether a previous owner has run it on the correct fuel. Wil you be in a position to run it on 98ron +?

Thanks for the reply and no offence taken at all, £5k is my budget basically as I have to draw the line somewhere. I'm doing up my house currently with a new driveway and kitchen this year, I will do very few miles in it as its a second car. 5k just seems a fair amount to spend on a toy. im not on a great wage. As for running it properly, yes I will always use super, iv had nothing but super in all my cars, even ones that really wouldn't benefit from it. And tyres discs pads etc will always be mid-high spec.

• Like 1

So you manage to find a 100k+ car for £5k, reassure yourself that it has been run on 98 then in the first year you need new tyres, clutch & flywheel and disc/pads all round, that would be almost 50% of the cars worth, if you can afford all that then go for it, if not then think again

I get your point but maintenance is a separate issue altogether, there won't be a problem in this department. I know the requirements of the car and that's in the budget.

So you manage to find a 100k+ car for £5k, reassure yourself that it has been run on 98 then in the first year you need new tyres, clutch & flywheel and disc/pads all round, that would be almost 50% of the cars worth, if you can afford all that then go for it, if not then think again

Good point I think I might just put mine up for sale now :lol:

The previous owner might not be able to afford to run it for various reasons. Perhaps they lost their job or are having a baby etc. doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been looked after before now. Like others have said look for quality of parts/ service history and that will give you a clue of how it's been looked after. It's always a risk buying second hand cars without a decent warranty though so good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I get your point but maintenance is a separate issue altogether, there won't be a problem in this department. I know the requirements of the car and that's in the budget.

So why not spend more money on a better car? Perhaps one that's already had the clutch and other bits done?

For example you could prob pick a very good forum car up with all the major bits done and less milage for 7k.......chances are if it's a forum car at least you've got a chance of someone regularly running it on super for a period of time.

Seriously he's not exaggerating when he says 50% of the value.

So why not spend more money on a better car? Perhaps one that's already had the clutch and other bits done?

For example you could prob pick a very good forum car up with all the major bits done and less milage for 7k.......chances are if it's a forum car at least you've got a chance of someone regularly running it on super for a period of time.

Seriously he's not exaggerating when he says 50% of the value.

That was my point, going cheap with the budget could be a false economy, worrying about what fuel has been used is a bit of a moot point really, no way you will ever know for sure...

Ye I did have my eye on this. I still need to keep in mind what I'm buying the car for. It's my weekend toy and the budget has crept up from an original 3.5k for a boxster to now 5k+ a little.

As much as I'm tempted on upping the budget I have to stop somewhere. And yes, maybe some of you will say iv picked the wrong car but I'v a good enough eye to spot tired brakes and rubber. If it wasn't so much of an issued regarding fuel use, iv found one in great condition, 106k miles, spotless bodywork, pretty new michelins, brakes at 100k clutch at 84k for £4800

Im just concerned about the fuel history, but I'd have that issue on any price range. So upping my budget rly won't help my problem

Would a compression test likely highlight any damage caused.?

A compression test would give some indication. Inspecting the pistons would show visual damage but your getting into stripping the engine.

Could this not be done with a boroscope if you take the plugs out. I know there is a company in Knutsford that offer this service on 911s that are prone to bore scoring?

TBH 5k is probably pushing it IMHO. With these cars there are things that will need doing almost immediately if youre going to get it in tip top condition after purchase.

We had double your budget and picked up a lovely example when we got our last one, 57 plate, GT, only 32k on the clock, full service history, felt that the chap had looked after it well.

Despite this it still had £1k of work done to it immediately:

New battery

Replacement bushes with super pro ones.

Wheel alignment

Exhaust swap

Oil change

Air filters replaced

Wiper blades and stubby aerial of course :).

Also parking sensors fitted which is obviously optional.

When we had our previous Zed it was a similar story.

Would be cautious but good luck :teeth:

Ed

OP - I wouldn't worry too much, I don't get all these 'You're going to need to do X, have to replace Y and going to change Z'

People over worry on the clutch, there is now law to say a clutch breaks at X mileage. It's all down to driver.

If you're patient, you will find a decent zed for 5K. - As for fuel, if a zed is still survivng at 100k mileage (Which will be what you are looking at, at that budget) then it's more than likely going to be fine and ran on 98+.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/93486-sold-azure-54-plate-350z-zed-shed-ownedmaintained-for-sale/

Prime example of a perfectly good zed, selling for 5K. You just have to be quick. As I say be patient, as of right now a lot of people seem to be over pricing their zeds a fair bit :lol:

• Like 1

My car has 130k on the clock i havent had to replace the clutch, brakes or anything major and mine was alot less then 5k.

look more for common faults, stone chips and accident damage u cant change what fuels been used and you will never know for sure either but if the cars reached over 100k with good service history and still runs great then i wouldnt be too worried.

Dont let people put u off buy a car with good service history and low owners .

Mileage isnt a guideline on how well the cars driven or maintained either. To me it means its been sat for a long time and hardly used or not been able to afford to drive/maintain it.

Test drive a few cars, pick the best car for ur budget then buy it use the correct fuel and enjoy it.

• Like 1