Self service garages

RobPhoboS

I haven't used this garage but I have used similar venues and in my opinion they are very good for the car enthusiast.

They usually have a skilled tech on site if you get into difficulties.

Not expensive and so much better than working in the street with jacks.

If i genuinely get a spare afternoon, i'll do it lol, my garage isn't on the road so its easier, nothing wrong with axle stands if anything i find it easier as if your doing shocks etc.. you need to have access to the top easily, saves having to lift the car up down up down etc..and you hope its not a ramp that you drive up onto because you need to take the wheels off lol.

Hey Brad, either way is great, I just thought it would be worth posting this as not many people know about them.

I think you can see the ramps from the photos of the particular place I posted.

Half tempting to start one out here in East London!

• Like 1

Seems expensive to me tbh. £80 a day. That would pay for a service on the car itself with oil/filters etc.

One thing id be worried about from experience is that very often what you think is a 1hr job ends up being a nightmare and taking 10 hours or more. If your car is in bits on a ramp then you will be stuck there until you get things fixed, hoping that if you need any extra parts they wont take ages to arrive.

Seems expensive to me tbh. £80 a day. That would pay for a service on the car itself with oil/filters etc.

One thing id be worried about from experience is that very often what you think is a 1hr job ends up being a nightmare and taking 10 hours or more. If your car is in bits on a ramp then you will be stuck there until you get things fixed, hoping that if you need any extra parts they wont take ages to arrive.

If you know your way around a 350Z, in an 8 hour day you could replace the clutch, fit pads and rotors all round and carry out a P3.

So with an outlay of £80.00 you would save circa £500.00 in labour charges based on £60.00 per hour + vat.

The rent a ramp garages should also have jacking beams and transmission jacks to boot.

• Like 1

If you know your way around a 350Z, in an 8 hour day you could replace the clutch, fit pads and rotors all round and carry out a P3.

So with an outlay of £80.00 you would save circa £500.00 in labour charges based on £60.00 per hour + vat.

The rent a ramp garages should also have jacking beams and transmission jacks to boot.

Agreed £80+parts compared to stealer prices. I was comparing £80+parts against £0 + parts by jacking the car up in your drive & servicing it yourself. But for things like a clutch, having the car in the air would be easier.

Right, so an hour job turned into 2.5 hours :lol::wacko::blush:

& I only managed to do half of the job as two bolts started rounding (sorry Sly over to you mate).

But the cool thing is, you aren't kicked out for staying longer, so you just carry on until you're done.

It's not pristine down there but you've got everything you could possibly need, and it sure beats being out in the cold ! (although I still wore thermals hah)

As mentioned, it really is worth calling a day or so in advanced, especially for the weekend.

I've got the suspension to do pretty soon, I may end up doing that particular job on the drive as if I break something, at least I can leave it there without an issue.