Boot struts replacement.

martybhoy

I don't know if the video I've just watched was a bit extreme.

My boot struts need replacing.

The video on YouTube I just watched had the guy having to saw off brackets etc just to replace the standard ones. Is this right?

I thought it would have just been a similar kit to the bonnet struts where the literally popped on.

im not overly impressed with SGS, had struts in a month and when its cold they don't stay up and ball end broke last week, the pin sheared through so ball would not stay in. and yes I did buy the supposedly uprated ones for the nismo spoiler too!

im not overly impressed with SGS, had struts in a month and when its cold they don't stay up and ball end broke last week, the pin sheared through so ball would not stay in. and yes I did buy the supposedly uprated ones for the nismo spoiler too!

You should claim that on the warranty if you haven't already. Although I had some problems with SGS...

I purchased the uprated ones as ive got the V2 spoiler and they worked for about 3 or 4 lifts then they were just as bad as the old ones. After sending them an email to request a return/swap, I had to send in videos of it not working (I was asked on two separate occasions for videos by two different people, even after they had replied to me about viewing the first lot). They then got me to send them back and said they would regass them for free, but id have to pay to have them returned to me! So that's postage back to them because their 'uprated' ones didn't work, then postage BACK to me! I wasn't happy with this at all, they only agreed to refund my postage because it was their fault for sending the wrong ones.

Turns out (at least they admitted it) they had sent me the wrong ones so sent the correct ones without charging me for postage, and after lots of promising and chasing they also refunded the postage it cost me to return it to them.

Since having the right struts i've been happy, they don't provide an amazingly positive lift in the cold but I don't think many do. No problems in the small amount of warm weather we have had in the last 2 or 3 months. In all fairness, the struts are a piece of **** to fit and i'm happy with them now. However, I found their customer service to be lacking and they required constant chasing... although we did get there in the end.

Edited by Durk

I don't know if the video I've just watched was a bit extreme.

My boot struts need replacing.

The video on YouTube I just watched had the guy having to saw off brackets etc just to replace the standard ones. Is this right?

I thought it would have just been a similar kit to the bonnet struts where the literally popped on.

The only problem is that the OEM ones dont just pop off like you'd expect. You have to remove them complete with brackets, but as the SGS ones comes with new brackets, it's not a problem. No cutting required.

Didn't notice a massive difference though tbh.

I've just orderred a set from sgs.

I have plans to put on a nismo spoiler in the upcoming month roughyl, so I've went for that set.

I dont know if I should put them on before getting the spoiler fitted or not.

I can only give them a try. If they aren't up to the job then they will be getting sent back.

I think mine are on the way out too, had the boot drop on my head the other day :wacko: Think I'll try removing the boot weight first though lol

I removed the boot weight when I fitted my spoiler. Good job I don't use the boot too much.

• Like 1

yeah there customer service is a bit lax to say the least. Dunks is there a part number on your struts? I just want to check it against mine to see if they have accidently send me the wrong ones! I think I remember reading somewhere that the US guys can get a very decent set made over there that are better than SGS?

Edited by rickdon

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the uprated SGS lifters, swapped the helper springs out, and removed the boot weight. The boot still wont pop, I have even tried sticking 6p worth of pennies in and I still end up having to hold the release boot while I lift the boot. :rant:

BTW - I have a nismo spoiler.

I bought the uprated SGS lifters, swapped the helper springs out, and removed the boot weight. The boot still wont pop, I have even tried sticking 6p worth of pennies in and I still end up having to hold the release boot while I lift the boot. :rant:

BTW - I have a nismo spoiler.

Whats it made from? Concrete? :lol:

• 7 months later...

If the boot isn't popping isn't that the springs that need replacing vs the struts? Who does replacement springs? I always have to pop my boot twice

Have you tried the 2 pennies trick? That worked for me when I had to press the boot release button twice.

If the boot isn't popping isn't that the springs that need replacing vs the struts? Who does replacement springs? I always have to pop my boot twice

Have you tried the 2 pennies trick? That worked for me when I had to press the boot release button twice.

worked for a year or 2 but back to how it was before now, the springs compress I guess