Engine pre-heater

addario

Hi guys!

I was thinking about fitting an engine pre-heater! Bare with me... I've just got my Zed and it's a 2003 plate with just 20K on the clock.

I work nearby, I would say about 3 miles from my house so every morning is a cold start and a short journey... not ideal :-/

Given this morning short journey I was thinking... why not fit an engine pre-heater? I've looked them up and found this:

http://r.ebay.com/9vyKqZ

Seemed like the perfect idea! I would use on these:

http://www.kuehlbox-...uss-Set-A460785

So that I could just leave it connected, possibly use a plug-timer so that the power goes on say, at 07:30 so that by the time I get in the engine is nice and warm!

Anyways :) Anybody with any experience with these or a similar solution? I would love to get the opinion of you more experienced guys!

I'm no Physicist, so im not going to mention the Mpemba Effect because that will blow peoples minds.

I always liked those remote start alarms, where you could start the car in the morning from your bedroom but the car remained locked.

This was in the days of Novas and Kadets when they didnt have alarms in the first place. Probably wit todays alarms its not possible?

With the product youve listed, does it serve as a pump too as well as a heater? because your engine waterpump wont be spinning. :)

edit.

and, what about your oil? Heating your coolant wont bring the oil temp up to operating levels.

Edited by Pritchard

Since its filled with coolant I don't think the Mpemba Effect would even be a consideration, but anyway I seriously doubt that the heater would get things hot enough to make a significant difference, leaving an engine to idle is also not a good idea, so the push bike gets my vote. :)

I always liked those remote start alarms, where you could start the car in the morning from your bedroom but the car remained locked.

This was in the days of Novas and Kadets when they didnt have alarms in the first place. Probably wit todays alarms its not possible?

Everything's possible :)

http://www.viper.com

The 350Z motor has already been designed to have a block heater system set up. The block is made to allow a heating element to be fitted in the passengers side of the block it is fitted on cars sold in very cold area's.

I have knocked look into what the parts cost but I can take a picture of the block area when I am

back at work on Monday.

This means the coolant can be kept at a working temp easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the answers! :) I'm afraid the cycling is off the table as I'm too lazy and the logistics of having to take a change of clothes (shirt, tie, etc) and shower at work really do not appeal to me.

The 350Z motor has already been designed to have a block heater system set up. The block is made to allow a heating element to be fitted in the passengers side of the block it is fitted on cars sold in very cold area's.

I have knocked look into what the parts cost but I can take a picture of the block area when I am

back at work on Monday.

That's great stuff... I've found this one, would this be the one you are thinking about?

http://www.defa.com/...0123/412838.pdf

That's pretty much just a resistor that you bold to the engine block and heat up by passing some current through it. No need to move the cooling fluid around but to be honest I thought that moving the coolant would do a better job than simply applying heat to one specific area and waiting for it to radiate...

Let me know what you guys think :)

back at work on Monday.

You've got me all exited now :blush:

Coolant gets warm quickly, that's not the issue here. The problem is that the oil will still be stone cold, and that's what causes the wear.

I would say the oil being cold does not help but surely it's not the main cause of "cold start wear". If I had to place a bet I would say the many parts being smaller than their ideal sizes is the main culprit. Once the engine warms up and everything swells to where it should be wear decreases.

In any case it cannot be worse than a true cold start could it? Surely having the engine pre-warmed even if the oil is still far from optimum temperature is a positive thing to do given my circumstances.

Oh... before I forget...

Cycling doesn't mean you have to ride like Wiggins...

I have to wear suit trousers, shirt and tie as a minimum to work so cycling would be a major pain in the *** :(

Not retaining Cat1 status.

No remote start alarm can be cat1 with I believe the exception of the clifford (edit: not G5. Avant Guard 5.5) but I dont know how they got around it...

Edited by longsh07

I have an issue with the heated seats, by the time they are warm the cars warm any way. Always seemed pointless to me :lol:

If you could come up with a way of remotely turning them on, then I might be interested!

Sometimes it's nice though and also in summer when the mrs is being a pain, you just stick her seat on and you feel like you've had a small win?

• Like 1

I have an issue with the heated seats, by the time they are warm the cars warm any way. Always seemed pointless to me :lol:

If you could come up with a way of remotely turning them on, then I might be interested!

Sometimes it's nice though and also in summer when the mrs is being a pain, you just stick her seat on and you feel like you've had a small win?

I think they had this in mind. Why else would they put them in the prefect position for a stealthy elbow press :lol:

• Like 2

Not retaining Cat1 status.

No remote start alarm can be cat1 with I believe the exception of the clifford (edit: not G5. Avant Guard 5.5) but I dont know how they got around it...

Didn't know about that, but Clifford sell the Viper kits.

Cold start is not so much of a problem these days due to modern oils and the cling abilities, however its idle that put a lot of extra stress on an engine, the stress on the valve train is considerable at idle, so leaving an engine to warm up is likely to be doing more harm than good.

Yeah Clifford and viper are the same company.

I had a viper alarm with remote start fitted to my 350Z under the assumption it was cat1. Was livid when I found out it wasn't.

I had a number of other issues with the installer too but I won't go into that here.

Planning on having it ripped out and a different one fitted soon.

FYI my factory alarm wasn't working on my zed and Nissan were not able to fix it hence the need to fit aftermarket.

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 1

Just to highlight how poor they are, I have a ten year old Land Rover with heated seats and you can feel them working by the time you move off the driveway. Funny how Nissan felt the need for a 'low' setting.

I think the conversation go's something like: "is your seat warm yet?" "I can't tell, what about yours?", "I think it's doing something, are they on high?", "Yes, stupid question.", "Okay, well turn them off now, we're here..." :lol: