Oh ****. Rear-ended by old lady in West London this afternoon.

dajw

Just a minor thread revival as I've received a note from Accident Exchange about the claim. Now then, who would hazard a guess as to how much having a Porsche Boxster 2.7 PDK for 55 days cost the third party?

My guess was a bit lower than the real answer.

Quite a bit lower, in fact.

They're billing the TP for £15,000 for the hire period. That's around £273 a day. SHISHKEBAB THAT'S A LOT!!!

And there you have one reason why car insurance is so high, that and the exaggerated repair costs, oh and not forgetting all the injury claims nowadays.... car insurance should be way lower than it is, just a big money making circle....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

I'm surprised at the cost. You wouldn't believe how many personal injury claim BS calls we've had to deal with. My wife and I both recipients of unsolicited calls from companies who have obtained enough info about the incident to ask us whether we would and indeed hard sell the injury claim. We both believe this is abhorrent behaviour which is not at best for the wider good so have told them exactly where and why to stick it.

I maintained throughout the claim that I am not insured to get all I can, but to be covered to get things returned to before the incident and a similar experience whilst I'm inconvenienced by the repairs. That's fair. What's surprising is the high cost of the rental car, as those are retail rates.

The insurance industry needs a good shake up. "Guevara" has an interesting model that seems worthy of further interest.

Edited by dajw

You wouldn't believe how many personal injury claim BS calls we've had to deal with. My wife and I both recipients of unsolicited calls from companies who have obtained enough info about the incident to ask us whether we would and indeed hard sell the injury claim. We both believe this is abhorrent behaviour which is not at best for the wider good so have told them exactly where and why to stick it.

funnily enough I received a call this afternoon from someone stating I'd had a non-fault claim within the last 2 years ................ my comment "really ........ I'm afraid i don't recall anything ???" ............ they hung up

funnily enough I received a call this afternoon from someone stating I'd had a non-fault claim within the last 2 years ................ my comment "really ........ I'm afraid i don't recall anything ???" ............ they hung up

These guys have always had the basic info on the incident. Time, date, location, number of parties. Two calls to me, two to my wife.

One claimed to be from ULR Additions, who handle the claim on behalf of Adrian Flux. I spoke with ULR afterwards and the agent there told me he'd heard of this happening more and more. I personally wonder if they have a problem with data security.

Big money.

Next time you have an accident, and get offered/need a courtesy car, think about taking the cheapest piece of crap you can. You'll be helping everyone to get cheaper car insurance in the future.

Not you as in you Dajw, you as in everyone. Me included.

I'm surprised at the cost. You wouldn't believe how many personal injury claim BS calls we've had to deal with. My wife and I both recipients of unsolicited calls from companies who have obtained enough info about the incident to ask us whether we would and indeed hard sell the injury claim. We both believe this is abhorrent behaviour which is not at best for the wider good so have told them exactly where and why to stick it.

I maintained throughout the claim that I am not insured to get all I can, but to be covered to get things returned to before the incident and a similar experience whilst I'm inconvenienced by the repairs. That's fair. What's surprising is the high cost of the rental car, as those are retail rates.

The insurance industry needs a good shake up. "Guevara" has an interesting model that seems worthy of further interest.

It's an inflated price because it is sucked up by us all in our premiums, not having a dig at you its just how it is.... it is fair enough to expect a similar car to that which has been damaged, but there should be limits on how much can be charged, for £300 a day you would expect a supercar or equivalent!!!

• Like 1

Hertz supercar rentals suggests similar prices for a Boxster S (though I only put in a week). They didn't have a regular Boxster. £900 a day is McLaren 12C and Ferarri 458 Italia territory.

Crazy!

I'd be alright with a standard economy car while my car gets fixed / replaced :)

Guide price for 55 days:

2015-04-13_19-31-14.jpeg

Yeah me too, but I can also understand that if someone has their car trashed through no fault of their own that they should be allowed something similar, just don't agree with the inflated prices :surrender:

Yeah me too, but I can also understand that if someone has their car trashed through no fault of their own that they should be allowed something similar, just don't agree with the inflated prices :surrender:

They should be allowed, I just don't think they should take it.

Don't see why not if there is better regulation, after all someone with a more expensive car would be paying more insurance in the first place... maybe some kind of incentive if you downscale possibly?

I am the other side I turned down a car as i did not see the need now the 3rd party are dragging there feet over the repair heading for 4 months now and they are still debating on how much damage there driver did to my car ......

if i had just gone to a claims company and took the car ect it would of all been fixed and settled by now. Turns out doing the right thing is not the way forwards either

I'd take that discount!

Before the mods my insurance was £380/year on the Z and the Golf on admiral multi car (I have 10 years no claims etc.) even with my high mileage.

After the mods all declared its £680 with an underwriter found by Adrian Flux. A bump for sure but not crazy.

At renewal I need to go for an "agreed value" policy as its otherwise hard to ensure the right level of cover for the mods and work done to install them. That way you declare a value, a loss adjuster assesses the car then you agree on a value. Better protection in the case of an accident - as without this there is a risk of total loss, and only getting back market value for the car plus the (heavily depreciated) mods. Out of pocket on labour and other bits.

Take care with Accedent Exchange.

You had to sign when you took the car to agree to underwright the hire cost yourself if they do not manage to get the hire cost claimed.

Hopefully they then "sold" you an insurance policy to be claimed back also to pay for the hire cost if they claim it off you.

I had the same, a like for like car at an inflated cost, and the other insurance company ( Swift Cover) contested the cost when the bill went in.

It took 3 years to sort out before I walked paying nothing.

Don't see why not if there is better regulation, after all someone with a more expensive car would be paying more insurance in the first place... maybe some kind of incentive if you downscale possibly?

Because every time someone takes an expensive courtesy car, every single person pays for it with their premiums. If folks only ever took the cheapest thing, like an Aygo, then premiums would come down.

Because every time someone takes an expensive courtesy car, every single person pays for it with their premiums. If folks only ever took the cheapest thing, like an Aygo, then premiums would come down.

Not disagreeing but if someone bumps my Jag, why should I drive an Aygo for a month or so? Like I said if my insurance was cheaper in the first place and clearly stated that all I could have is an Aygo then fair enough :)

The system is the problem as 'costs' are claimed against the other persons insurance so people think I will have what I want, same with injury claims.

I distinctly remember someone moaning a while back about a $hitty courtesy car, now who was that.....?

You had to sign when you took the car to agree to underwright the hire cost yourself if they do not manage to get the hire cost claimed.

Hopefully they then "sold" you an insurance policy to be claimed back also to pay for the hire cost if they claim it off you.

I had the same, a like for like car at an inflated cost, and the other insurance company ( Swift Cover) contested the cost when the bill went in.

It took 3 years to sort out before I walked paying nothing.

Not surprising when you see quotes like the OPs for £15k hire costs... no wonder premiums are so high...

..... If folks only ever took the cheapest thing, like an Aygo, then premiums would come down.

being a cynic ................ I doubt it

Yeah can't see it either, just need proper control over hire costs, if someone hits your 2 seater coupe then you should really get a 2 seater coupe to tide you over, but not get a bill for almost the cost of the car for a couple of months rental!!!

I personally like having different smaller rental cars I wouldn't usually drive, but why shouldn't I have a 5 series Beemer or CLS if my Jag is hit :shrug:

a few years ago I had an old toyota Corolla (worth about £800) that a 30 tonne truck reversed over the top of :wacko: (unbelievable scenario - but true)

insurance company gave me a choice of a mitsubishi Carisma or a shogun pinin - had never driven anything like the pinin before, so went for that

but again the hire car cost was more than the payout value on the toyota :wacko:

I remember when the 911 broke down, and I pretty much had my choice of cars from Enterprise due to the arrangement they had with Porsche. I chose a petrol Vaux Insignia and a diesel Merc C220, had never driven either before and figured that I might as well give them a go for when I need to buy a boring car as I'd have them for a few days.

The Merc was lovely, seats are stunningly comfy. I'd pick that over the equivalent 3-series if driving dynamics weren't an issue.

• Like 1

Hopefully they then "sold" you an insurance policy to be claimed back also to pay for the hire cost if they claim it off you.…

Interesting. My agreement paperwork is very clear about who is liable for the charges and it ain't me! They pursue the TP for the charges, and in the event they don't pay then there is a policy in place to protect me from any liability, actually this cost is also covered by the TP so no charge for that to me. I also also spoke with them on the phone yesterday and verified again that there's no comeback to me on the charges. Which is all good, because with £15k to spare I'd buy another 'Z and make it into a superlight project car!

Hopefully they then "sold" you an insurance policy to be claimed back also to pay for the hire cost if they claim it off you.…

Interesting. My agreement paperwork is very clear about who is liable for the charges and it ain't me! They pursue the TP for the charges, and in the event they don't pay then there is a policy in place to protect me from any liability, actually this cost is also covered by the TP so no charge for that to me. I also also spoke with them on the phone yesterday and verified again that there's no comeback to me on the charges. Which is all good, because with £15k to spare I'd buy another 'Z and make it into a superlight project car!

Yes that's what I said,

The TP is liable unless they dont pay then you are but you have been sold (which is claimed off the TP) an insurance policy to cover the fact you are liable.

It took me 3 years of letters answered again and again and a court appearance as a witness before the hire liability insurance policy paid out to cover the refusal of the TP insurance to pay out,

It is possible (However unlikely) that the hire liability insurance will not pay out and then you are liable. ( Read again what you have signed )

Some people will not be able to cope with the 3 years of uncertainty of who will have to pay the hire charge, despite there being an insurance policy in place to cover your liability.

At the end of the day Its still your liability (although insured), and if it all goes tits up they will claim off you.

Were you advised to take legal advice before signing? as the fact that I wasn't was a factor in the judgement in my case.