Oh ****. Rear-ended by old lady in West London this afternoon.

dajw

Thanks for that advice. Useful, as I didn't know. Do you happen to know if those lovely alloys can be 'un kerbed' as there's a bit of kerb damage. My local paintshop said the paint was difficult to match well.

The advice I had received from another paint guy was that the pearl really comes down to the individual style of whoever applied the coat, so even a replacement panel would have some differences.

This worried me because I'm a neat-freak!

Thanks for that advice. Useful, as I didn't know. Do you happen to know if those lovely alloys can be 'un kerbed' as there's a bit of kerb damage. My local paintshop said the paint was difficult to match well.

I've been advised before that it's best to get at least two of the alloys done as it's virtually impossible to get an exact match with the dark colour Rays. A slight mismatch between the alloys from one side to the other will not be noticeable wheras a mismatch between the two wheels on one side will be - hence its best to have two done on the same side. A company called Lepsons gets good reviews.

As for the paint, I've done a lot of my own research pending getting my bumper scratch repaired. A good painter should be able to do a repair that isn't detectable to the naked eye by blending the repaired area with the surrounding area etc. Pearls are supposedly harder to match, which is why you need to use a body shop with a very good rep. Like you I won't be happy unless the repair is invisible (although bear in mind that there is always a mismatch between bumper and body anyway due to the way paint sits on plastic and metal).

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

I've been advised before that it's best to get at least two of the alloys done as it's virtually impossible to get an exact match with the dark colour Rays. A slight mismatch between the alloys from one side to the other will not be noticeable wheras a mismatch between the two wheels on one side will be - hence its best to have two done on the same side. A company called Lepsons gets good reviews.

As for the paint, I've done a lot of my own research pending getting my bumper scratch repaired. A good painter should be able to do a repair that isn't detectable to the naked eye by blending the repaired area with the surrounding area etc. Pearls are supposedly harder to match, which is why you need to use a body shop with a very good rep. Like you I won't be happy unless the repair is invisible (although bear in mind that there is always a mismatch between bumper and body anyway due to the way paint sits on plastic and metal).

Yet to see a perfect 370 OEM wheel refurb colour match so as - Sipar says ^^^ but in my case I decided to all 4 done and asked that they match the satin alloy on the handles etc - pleased with what they did (powder coated btw).

And noting Sipar mentioned TGM in his previous post as regards the pearl white match, when I enquired about having the stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet done, Billy at TGM said as happy as would be to take my money he strongly advised to have the front blended and onto the front wings as the pearl sparkle does vary from car to car and on each car and helps to avoid any obvious change at panel lines and in my case said the chips were relatively minor and I should save my money!

You might like to pm Will370z who has had work done at TGM..... Not saying that is where you should go just passing on info obtained from one of the rare places I would entrusted my 370 to be painted.

TGM did two really good jobs for me, albeit on the Quartz colour of my previous Z. I'm only not using them this time as I seem to have found a more local shop with a similarly strong reputation (mostly on Merc forums).

Unlike the poor OP, the scratch on my bumper is very small (two or three inches) and the guy reckons the location means he won't need to paint into adjacent panels (also getting a couple of alloys done at the same time as I kerbed one and nobody was confident of a perfect match unless both wheels on the same side are done - the body shop are sending them away to be powdercoated by Lepsons). I'll post up results in a separate thread next week. :)

Edited by sipar69

Yes, this is correct. But any good painter will spray a test card with every pearl coat he or she applies. This card is then offered up to one of the sides that's not being painted to check or a match. The more coats of pearl applied the more pearl effect you get.

If there is any doubt that the repairer cant get a good colour match then the vehicle should be resprayed.

J

Yes, correct again. These wheels are paint black first then the chrome effect is applied. The more chrome sprayed the more silver the wheel becomes. This is why painters get a bit worried. But it doesn't need to be a spot on match as there is some distance between the wheels and your eyes wouldn't pick up on a slight colour difference.

J

Repair news:

I've taken Octet (Adrian)'s recommendation to get the car over to R-T Performance. Had a brief chat with Taras who should get custody of the behicle soon.

Insurance news:

WHAT A BLOODY FAFF!

I must have made a thousand phone calls trying to figure out what's going on. If you book via Adrian Flux then you might be interested:

AF are the broker. They sold me the policy.

'ULR' handle all claims on behalf of AF. They also pursue the uninsured losses from the third party, and arrange a replacement temporary vehicle at the third party's insurance cost. Most of my calls have been trying to get a vehicle that isn't boring. Easidrive had a 4 series BMW available, so ULR appointed 'Accident Exhange' instead. Hopefully a 2014 Boxster will turn up tomorrow after many many conversations that go "no, I'm 6'4", I won't fit in that car" and "no, I'm not your grandad, I don't want an E-class"...

Equity Red Star are my insurer/underwriter. They eventually decided to contact me today (everyone else was quite proactive). By this point I have given a witness statement about 6 times. They offered three choices:

1. Claim on mine, pay XS then reclaim it (I had already chosen this)

2. Give the whole case to ULR to chase from the third party

3. Go direct to the third party insurer.

There's also me ringing ERS regularly to find out where they've taken my car (Veetech) and to get it moved to a better garage for estimates.

I must say I didn't expect it to be quite so 'hands on' this insurance thing.

Ho hum. If none of this makes sense ask questions. ;)

Also also: everyone has an 0845 type of number so we are up to some fairly hefty phone charges from the mobile operator so far. Not a problem as I can claim them back via ULR.

The recovery took 2h to arrive (he was stuck in traffic himself, lovely chap tho) and couldn't take us home so ended up on various tubes to Waterloo, navigating the line closures (overground to CLJ would have been so much quicker, were it not closed) and then a walking-pace train home to Farnham. Took aaaaaaages!

Moral of this, maybe check the fine print about the recovery/relay etc options.

And finally whilst I'm on the small print.. My modifications are covered, but not the cost. The fine wording of my policy will take a market rate for the car and mods together. More phone calls to AF to figure this mess out (the only point of me insuring via then was because of the mods, which were discussed and detailed at length). I'm annoyed that they at no point told me this. It is easy to assume that the policy covers all £7,700 of parts and labour for my Stillen/Norris work.

Anyway, a very small premium has been paid (£40) and my value is properly insured.

At renewal time I will be going for an Agreed Value policy, which will pay out a specifically agreed value in the unfortunate event of a total loss.

Buy wisely, people.

*rants*

The 370z is an 'SP7' car, so a 'like for like' replacement car is not actually this. Most of what was offered was diesel, automatic and convertible. E class barge, 3-series and 4-series.

I got the replacement car yesterday. Porsche Boxster 2.7 PDK, specified with PCM and a few sporting bits. Not a bad ride, smells 'Porschey' - interior has a definite Porsche smell that I recall from my Cayman S, and the hot rubber smell after you give it beans is there too. Nicely balanced car, very easy to position. Just a bit slow overall. Needs double the horses!

PDK is an excellent gearbox fhough. No quibbles there.

Picture outside:

Dashboard:

Edited by dajw

Repair news:

I've taken Octet (Adrian)'s recommendation to get the car over to R-T Performance. Had a brief chat with Taras who should get custody of the behicle soon.

Insurance news:

WHAT A BLOODY FAFF!

I must have made a thousand phone calls trying to figure out what's going on. If you book via Adrian Flux then you might be interested:

AF are the broker. They sold me the policy.

'ULR' handle all claims on behalf of AF. They also pursue the uninsured losses from the third party, and arrange a replacement temporary vehicle at the third party's insurance cost. Most of my calls have been trying to get a vehicle that isn't boring. Easidrive had a 4 series BMW available, so ULR appointed 'Accident Exhange' instead. Hopefully a 2014 Boxster will turn up tomorrow after many many conversations that go "no, I'm 6'4", I won't fit in that car" and "no, I'm not your grandad, I don't want an E-class"...

Equity Red Star are my insurer/underwriter. They eventually decided to contact me today (everyone else was quite proactive). By this point I have given a witness statement about 6 times. They offered three choices:

1. Claim on mine, pay XS then reclaim it (I had already chosen this)

2. Give the whole case to ULR to chase from the third party

3. Go direct to the third party insurer.

There's also me ringing ERS regularly to find out where they've taken my car (Veetech) and to get it moved to a better garage for estimates.

I must say I didn't expect it to be quite so 'hands on' this insurance thing.

Ho hum. If none of this makes sense ask questions. ;)

Good call ! I did body repair at RT when my neighbour scratched/dented my car while parking.RT did a great job!

May be its time to put proper body kit,amuse?

I won't put a body kit on mine, as I like the standard look, however the current Nismo is quite cheeky. That turned my head, but those wheel arch trims are a bit odd. Last years Nismo was too much for me! Each to their own!

I'd love to paint mine in an unusual colour. I've got my eye on a Nardo Grey (Audi RS colour) with a mid/light blue accent on the (stock) wing, possibly with identical vinyls for the GT Edition but in that same blue. IMHO that would look fantastic with some dark ultraleggera wheels. Maybe I'll stick with the classic jap wheel design though as per the 350 Rays.

Mmmm grey! It's all a matter of taste.

I won't put a body kit on mine, as I like the standard look, however the current Nismo is quite cheeky. That turned my head, but those wheel arch trims are a bit odd. Last years Nismo was too much for me! Each to their own!

I'd love to paint mine in an unusual colour. I've got my eye on a Nardo Grey (Audi RS colour) with a mid/light blue accent on the (stock) wing, possibly with identical vinyls for the GT Edition but in that same blue. IMHO that would look fantastic with some dark ultraleggera wheels. Maybe I'll stick with the classic jap wheel design though as per the 350 Rays.

Mmmm grey! It's all a matter of taste.

that sounds like a plan ;)

Taras at RTP is informing the insurer of the estimate for repairs. I'm hoping it all gets approved, don't mind how long it takes so long as it it's job well done.

As for a race... Santa Pod? :D Run what you brung! I'm pretty sure that Adrian's is what, 100 lb/ft up on mine!? Reggie would be smoked!