People who drive fast cars are idiots?

twobears

I'm getting more and more perplexed by the comments on the other forum now. Apparently, the widely held view is that people who drive fast cars are either dangerous drivers, ar$eholes or vain and materialistic or some combination of the foregoing. I honestly hadn't realised that so many people automatically hate you if you have a nice car, whatever form that 'niceness' takes, whether is is looks, speed or cost of the car.

Having loved cars since I was a lad :lol: I just don't understand what makes other people so riled? Dangerous driving, yes, I can quite see that is something to get hacked off about, but does simply owning a fast-ish car really make you a bona fide idiot? How can you judge, simply from seeing a nice car that the driver is materialistic? Surely most people buy things according to their financial situation so if you want a nice house and can afford it, you buy one? Same with cars, clothes, gadgets or whatever.

I bet if I said that owning an expensive horse made you an ar$ehole people would jump to defend themselves. Funny really how we all judge what others choose to spend their money on :dry:

this attitude is often driven by jealousy

I think you are right that jealousy plays a part in some cases judging by the amount of people who are busily telling themselves that their clapped out old shed of a car is way better than any Ferrari they have ever seen - yeah right :lol: In other cases though I think it is because the people concerned simply don't want a fast/expensive or whatever car because they genuinely prefer tootling around in their elderly Landy. That doesn't make someone with a nice car materialistic necessarily though. I mean they might be but they might simply like nice cars and have the wherewithal to purchase one?

To be fair, a lot of people do fit into that selection of categories.

For instance I can't stand people who have no clues about car, literally know nothing about them, other than how to get from A - B. and go out and buy a brand new 'Insert expensive car here' because they think it will impress their rich friends.

That would be the materialistic category.

Also this could just be me being jealous. But still annoys me :lol:

Edited by grundy225
  • Like 2

this attitude is often driven by jealousy

I think you are right that jealousy plays a part in some cases judging by the amount of people who are busily telling themselves that their clapped out old shed of a car is way better than any Ferrari they have ever seen - yeah right :lol: In other cases though I think it is because the people concerned simply don't want a fast/expensive or whatever car because they genuinely prefer tootling around in their elderly Landy. That doesn't make someone with a nice car materialistic necessarily though. I mean they might be but they might simply like nice cars and have the wherewithal to purchase one?

Some people do buy cars to show off their wealth but the majority are enthusiasts who forgo other luxuries to get the car they want

The people who are jealous always focus on the negative, asking what's mpg or cost of insurance etc, they have no idea the sacrifices some people have made to get and keep that car

These are the people you don't want to park near as they have no concept of taking care of a car or respect for people who do

Wendy, it is silly being jealous of other people's possessions isn't it? I would love a really expensive car myself but I can't find it in me to be jealous of those who have worked hard and managed to buy themselves one.

Did you mean to post that on the other forum to Wendy? :lol:

Wendy, it is silly being jealous of other people's possessions isn't it? I would love a really expensive car myself but I can't find it in me to be jealous of those who have worked hard and managed to buy themselves one.

Did you mean to post that on the other forum to Wendy? :lol:

I don't think so? Did I? Stop trying to confuse me. You know it doesn't take much :blush::wacko::lol:

Annie - More time on your hands ?

You can do some Wales 2015 stuff for me haha! Keep you out of trouble with other forums

Time on my hands? Ha ha, I guess so. I've been very good and been to the gym and I'm off to the Barbican in a couple of hours so it was either play on the forums or do the ironing and erm, the ironing lost!!

Annie - More time on your hands ?

You can do some Wales 2015 stuff for me haha! Keep you out of trouble with other forums

Time on my hands? Ha ha, I guess so. I've been very good and been to the gym and I'm off to the Barbican in a couple of hours so it was either play on the forums or do the ironing and erm, the ironing lost!!

It's a bit materialistic .. Showing off that you have an ironing board ;)

• Like 2

To be fair, a lot of people do fit into that selection of categories.

For instance I can't stand people who have no clues about car, literally know nothing about them, other than how to get from A - B. and go out and buy a brand new 'Insert expensive car here' because they think it will impress their rich friends.

That would be the materialistic category.

Also this could just be me being jealous. But still annoys me :lol:

This ^^^

Guy I play football with bought a fairly new TTs, obviously knew I liked cars but decides to talk to me about how he went for the baseball stitching on his seats even though he bought it second hand.... Douchebag

• Like 2