Who's driven an BMW E46 M3?

brillomaster

BMW 330ci is a far more practical car than a M3, you can use it every day

for poodling about and when you want to release the pony's it goes like stink..!! :thumbs:

How is a 330ci 'far more practical' than an M3?

Quite, if you buy a 46 M3 and dont use ot every day youre wasting it.

M3 is slightly quicker than Zed but feels more sensible, and like any M car you have to cane it to get the best out of it. Im not a great fan of SMG but guess its a matter of taste :)

Single best all round car in the word IMO, Id still take a 350 over one though ;)

Don't do it,the E46 M3 is the car I traded in for the Z. Steering is dire unless you get a more recent CS with the quicker rack.Very twitchy and the manual gearbox is agricultural with the SMG auto being potentially high maintenance. Save up and get an E92. Every month bar one it required work. Ironically mine was a tidy low mileage one :)

i took an E46 M3 SMG for a test drive as i was unsure between that or the 350z. When i drove the car i didn't like the SMG at all and to me it seems like it should be the ultimate of what i want, can be used as auto for my daily driving and work journeys, paddles when i am on track or driving through the lake district. I didn't like the noise, feeling or the gearbox. That gear change can be brutal.

I have previously owned an E39 M5, which alot of people will say i am mad for this but i found it a little too boring, it could do almost everything with ease apart from very tight twisties. Overtaking just involved pushing the pedal down more, you could throw it round for a big old barge and it did very well. i just felt like it wasn't me driving it, the car took it all in its stride so easily. to me a fun drivers car is about keeping it in the power, using the power available, good handling etc etc ultimate pace is not what i want from a car, if it was i would get a turbo something.

Definitely have a drive as on paper it was the best car for me/my type of use, but i never plan on owning one. The E92 M3 on the other hand, i had a go in my mates and i will own one of those at some point in my life.

Don't do it,the E46 M3 is the car I traded in for the Z. Steering is dire unless you get a more recent CS with the quicker rack.Very twitchy and the manual gearbox is agricultural with the SMG auto being potentially high maintenance. Save up and get an E92. Every month bar one it required work. Ironically mine was a tidy low mileage one :)

A rebuilt SMG pump with warranty and fitted costs less than £800 these days, so about as expensive as when 2nd or 6th gear goes in a Zed. I find the steering fine - this is just horses for courses imho.

M3s don't constantly get rated as something like 'best car in the world' for nothing... just buy one - you can always sell it again if you don't like it.

E9X definitely the way forward though, but they're a lot more expensive...

Thanks for all the opinions guys!

unfortunately the E92 M3 is out of my price range at the moment, but to be honest it doesn't sound like the M3 is worth the upgrade over the 350z for the type of driving I do. Certainly not for an extra 5 grand which is what it would take to get one that's even comparable to my zed in terms of mileage or age.

think i'll go back to a 645ci - for the same money I could get one that's newer, lower mileage, V8 engine, bags more torque and better styled (if you ignore the bangle butt!)

I know I know, but what (I think) I want is power and luggzury... as I say, my roadcars don't get driven hard, all the driving i've done in the zed in the last year has either been commuting, or the occasional long distance run for a weekend away or visiting family. So it needs to be a cruiser, rather than a sports car. accessible power while the missus is asleep in the passenger seat is what I need!

• Like 1

The only positive I have for the M is practicality,adjustable electric seat bolsters and the heated seats were better.Its simply not as communicative to drive as the Z. The moment I drove the Z the deal was done,more low down torque feel and a much better gearbox.I was running on Conti M3 spec tyres new shocks and dampers full geometry done etc. Even on a motorway the steering was to light and twitchy whereas the Z stays true and firm. Also it was more turns lock to lock than the Z. As stated it was horses for courses but my M experience over 10 months cost me an average of 400 notes just to keep it on the road lol. At the end of the day they are knocking on in age so problems are to be expected.

E46 M3 looks so dated these days and in the eyes of joe public they all look the same as every other 3 series, I had a laguna Seca blue convertible 10 years ago and in fairness i loved it at the time, but i doubt I would buy another in today's market, if so, it would be a coupe for sure but I would prob go back down the route of the E36 in Estoril blue. Or if you want a good investment besides the E36 (as prices are on the rise) choose a Z3MCoupe, I currently own one of these and love everything about it. They come with the E36 lump with no traction what so ever or the E46 With.

But saying that I'm sure you would be sad to see your 350Z go? Personally I would tweek it and keep it! Apart from my disappointment from acceleration on my very first 350 there's nothing else to moan about really so possibly a super charger or turbo conversion would do the trick? I'm sure these Zeds will start rising in value in a few years and as you know they have a huge following and do so for a reason. keep it! ðŸ‘

5f3c97fdb903361928ad6e3f421377cc.jpg

Edited by Shades Rs

My mate had an E46 M3 Ragtop. There was a recall on the rear floor cracking. Although out of warranty BMW paid for a new rear floor to be fitted. Not an expert on BMW`s but make sure this has been done prior to buying any vehicle. Maybe worth doing a search on this issue as my knowledge of the fault is very limited :thumbs:

• Like 1

No-one who owns a Z3M can accuse the E46 of looking dated! :lol:

Marmite, you either love them or hate them. There a lot more unique than a E46 M3 for sure. And there's a big difference between a Z3M & Z3MC 😜 don't get me wrong I've had an E30 M3, E36 M3 and E46 M3 and although the E46 is a great car it just didn't do anything for me.

Personally I'd be looking at the Audi equivalent, Rs4 or even S4 much better build quality for starters and don't depreciate as much as BMW, Rs4 comes in at 414bhp and the S4 must be around M3 power.

Edited by Shades Rs

E46 M3 looks so dated these days and in the eyes of joe public they all look the same as every other 3 series, I had a laguna Seca blue convertible 10 years ago and in fairness i loved it at the time, but i doubt I would buy another in today's market, if so, it would be a coupe for sure but I would prob go back down the route of the E36 in Estoril blue. Or if you want a good investment besides the E36 (as prices are on the rise) choose a Z3MCoupe, I currently own one of these and love everything about it. They come with the E36 lump with no traction what so ever or the E46 With.

But saying that I'm sure you would be sad to see your 350Z go? Personally I would tweek it and keep it! Apart from my disappointment from acceleration on my very first 350 there's nothing else to moan about really so possibly a super charger or turbo conversion would do the trick? I'm sure these Zeds will start rising in value in a few years and as you know they have a huge following and do so for a reason. keep it! ������

5f3c97fdb903361928ad6e3f421377cc.jpg

I think these are the mutz nutz but the prices are high along with the mileage on most of them. A true future classic and great choice.

Check this one out http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c45461487 and its a left hooker

Edited by gsexr

Prices are rising fast but there are good examples out there for around as little as 10k if your willing to be patient and look hard enough. Most are priced around 15k with exceptional models fetching around 20k. Think it's Better to buy sooner rather than later when it comes to classic status. ðŸ‘

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk