400bhp in a 350z

Bodyboarder81

Sounds great:)

Just wanting to know as if I go down this route I want to be able to use the car on a regular basis and not be getting 15mpg ..... 20-25 I can cope with . But more importantly is having 400 odd in a 350 going to keep me happy ? What's yours running chris? I know it's a 70 but not a lot different to my HR .....

The 350 (above) was running just over 500WHP in the end - not a daily but that was more to do with suspension and setup than engine power - got about 17MPG but I never drove her with fuel consumption as a priority :lol:

The 370 is running 440WHP at the moment and drives like stock - as Harryjax said after a passenger ride - does everything my 370 does - just quicker :)

Easy car to have as a daily - if I'm honest I haven't even bothered working out the MPG but I know she will do the speedo (180mph) that won't be accurate mind you - that was tested out in Germany so speed wise she is well up with the big boys.

Probably faster in a straight line than the 350 but on standard suspension no where near the cornering of the 350 but then you can drive the 370 all day and not get out half deaf needing dental surgery :lol:

Horses for courses and all that so depends what you want out of a car, I had a 911 and I still prefer the 370 :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Josh just get it done and worry about it afterwards :thumbs:

Yes but I'm trying to be sensible !! And looking at the whole picture .......

I love my 50 ..... With a charger I think it would be perfect ..... But at what cost ( both money , hassle, worry ,never running right , constant tuning ) Its a big decision . Just read mouthwashes build and that's put me right off ! As it has for him I reckon as he's selling I think ......

Short video of my old girl at Gurston Down hill climb.

Timing beam at the bottom of the first downhill section recorded 100 mph in 7.5 secs.

Same car two years earlier 79 mph and 10 secs.

That's a darn narrow track Andy although just makes me want to go out for a drive now. :surrender::lol::drive1

• Like 1

That's mighty quick ...... But you do have the ultimate spec 350 in my opinion :) and have the receipts to prove it no doubt !

If we are talking 10 seconds 0-100 with running 400 at the wheels I would be very happy with that. Not that I would be doing that , it's just the way I gauge acceleration and what sort of cars do the same . Andy .... Any chance of meeting up and having a chat a some point?

That's mighty quick ...... But you do have the ultimate spec 350 in my opinion :) and have the receipts to prove it no doubt !

If we are talking 10 seconds 0-100 with running 400 at the wheels I would be very happy with that. Not that I would be doing that , it's just the way I gauge acceleration and what sort of cars do the same . Andy .... Any chance of meeting up and having a chat a some point?

No worries mate.

Your not far away from me so would be happy to catch up/take you out for a gentle run in my car! Lol.

Chris and Bob are not too far from me as well so you could overdose on boosted Zeditus in one meeting!

No worries mate.

Your not far away from me so would be happy to catch up/take you out for a gentle run in my car! Lol.

Chris and Bob are not too far from me as well so you could overdose on boosted Zeditus in one meeting!

Sounds like a plan:)

Need to go and see bob anyway and get him to give me a hand to fit my reversing camera ....... Ill bring the cakes ;)

Ill send you a pm over the weekend to try and sort a mini meet sometime soon :)

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan:)

Need to go and see bob anyway and get him to give me a hand to fit my reversing camera ....... Ill bring the cakes ;)

Ill send you a pm over the weekend to try and sort a mini meet sometime soon :)

This is proper funny - I just said this exact same sentence to my mrs... hahaha

• Like 1

Hi all just wandering what a 350z with 400-450 bhp would be comparable to on the road , as in other performance cars ? Does anyone know what sort of 0-100mph the car would be able to achieve? And also at this level of power what else is required ? An uprated clutch when it lets go ? A proper diff? Brakes?

This is for a car that won't see a track just some odd blasts on the road

And what sort of mpg are people getting? Obviously not a lot ..... Just wandering:)

Thanks for your help :)

As has been said already, there are too many variables to compare cars accurately and most performance calculators are nowhere near accurate.

My previous car - Supra TT6 was running ~400bhp @fly but 'felt' a bit faster due to the twin turbo power delivery but that also meant it was a lot more unpredictable.

My Zed running 402BHP @ Hubs (~442@Fly) is much nicer to drive and power is much more usable due to its linear power delivery, but that does mean you need to use the revs more to get the best out of it.

If I'm honest, I think they are actually faster than they feel. Actual times, I don't know, but realistically would say 0-60 under 5 secs, maybe if you manage a perfect get away and gear change down towards 4.5secs but definitely no fast than that. (I'd love to be proved wrong though ;) )

I think they really start to perform in 3rd gear and upwards once you get it rolling. Over taking is a pleasure. :blush:

Whether it'll be enough for you..........Its never enough. :lol:

I've had mine over 4 years now and still love it. It's comfortable, beautiful, sounds awesome, goes pretty fast and I can drive it to and from track for an occasional session.

Regarding comparisons, A friend of mine had a TVR Cerberra 4.5. and on various spirited drives (on private roads/runway), once rolling, he struggled to pull away from me up to about 120mph when we slowed down. This was a surprise to us. That said, they are hand built and quite feasibly he could have had less power then advertised. We actually swapped cars for an afternoon and both preferred my Zed. The TVR felt and sounded like you were going a million miles an hour, but in truth it wasn't much, if any, quicker than mine. And when it got to a corner there was no contest.

Also last year at a trackday I did, I spent most of the day driving round with a nice bloke in an AM V8 Vantage. I was slightly faster than him, but not by a lot. Over the course of the day pretty much whoever started the session in front remained there as there was not enough difference in speed to get past each other.

Here's a little vid from the pit lane of the Aston in tow.

There are more vids on my page if you wanna look. (can't seem to embed it for somereason!)

MPG - I reckon over the years I average between 18-21mpg everyday driving. On a long run I get about 24mpg and on track...about 7mpg :lol:

If you love your 350z but want it faster, its a no-brainer. If you just want a fast car, then there is much cheaper options.

Also, I'd be very surprised if you manage 400WHP from the Stillen setup as you mention, so do you research. They sound amazing, but 400BHP@fly will be about the max you can expect.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 3

its been said to death about comparisons etc, but the other thing that blurs the lines are gearboxes. You could have the same car, same power etc, but with with a twin clutch, one with and auto and one with a manual, and all 3 will give you different figures. Iv followed a 996 C4S round a track, and that only pulled a yard or so on corner exit, down the straights, it was even. Got a friend that has a 997 C4S, and that is quicker, but not massively, its about the same pace as a 4.3 AM V8. I think if you had a 370, then you would get more out of it, with more potential than a 350, but as you have a 350, id go out with someone who has the setup and power you are looking at, and see if you think its enough and if its for you.

• Like 1

Ok some good info coming through now and also appreciate the pms ,

I believe the stillen charger for my HR is the vortech v3 spec .... So I'm thinking 400whp is possible?

Ah right, yeah on the HR it should be do-able. I thought you meant the stillen twin screw SC for the De.

Ok some good info coming through now and also appreciate the pms ,

I believe the stillen charger for my HR is the vortech v3 spec .... So I'm thinking 400whp is possible?

Ah right, yeah on the HR it should be do-able. I thought you meant the stillen twin screw SC for the De.

Ya I wouldn't bother with the twin screw .... Screw up !