Looking at buying a 370, need some help!!

JoshC

As some of you may have seen I wrote my 350 off a couple weeks ago, still waiting on my insurance pay out so not sure where I really stand but atm I'm looking at 370's and a Z4 35i.

I fell in love with the interior of the Z4's and it has a great engine but, today at least, I'm leaning more towards a 370 because I think a Z4 looks a tad run of the mill of and boring styling wise and I would miss that V6 noise! :blush::p

Anywway, what I really liked in the Z4 was the double clutch auto with the paddles. How does the 370 paddle box perform? Is it a serious affair or just a bit of an after thought which is a bit slow and clunky?

Also, how good is the sat nav and audio system in the 370?

And a random question... are the 370's keyless? I can't see any ignition in any of the pics I've looked at?

Cheers all :thumbs:

370 is key-less start :thumbs:

Auto box - Hmm mixed reviews most on here seem to like it though - Get a manual anyway :thumbs:

post 2010 premium connect sat nav and audio is very good (IMO)

Now stop looking at them German cars and get a 370 :rant:

:lol:

Enjoy the hunt - you can only spend it once :)

• Like 4

If budget is allowing, I'd have to say that I'd go for the BMW. The 35i is a seriously quick car.

A DCT will always be so much quicker than a slushbox, however good that slushbox may be. The 370Z auto is okay as far as they go, but it's not a patch on the latest ZF 'boxes much less a proper dual clutch.

Which audio system are we comparing the 370 to in the Z4? They have a couple of options.

370 is key-less start :thumbs:

Auto box - Hmm mixed reviews most on here seem to like it though - Get a manual anyway :thumbs:

post 2010 premium connect sat nav and audio is very good (IMO)

Now stop looking at them German cars and get a 370 :rant:

:lol:

Enjoy the hunt - you can only spend it once :)

Cheers for confirming that mate, that's another pro for the 370 then :)

Yeah, read a few reviews online and most say it's good but they would probably still get the manual anyway, but I loved the DCT in the Z4 so much I'm just hoping it's something close to as good as that :(

This may be of help.. :thumbs:

http://www.autoexpre...ide-nissan-370z

Cheers, will give that a read now :thumbs:

If budget is allowing, I'd have to say that I'd go for the BMW. The 35i is a seriously quick car.

A DCT will always be so much quicker than a slushbox, however good that slushbox may be. The 370Z auto is okay as far as they go, but it's not a patch on the latest ZF 'boxes much less a proper dual clutch.

Which audio system are we comparing the 370 to in the Z4? They have a couple of options.

Yeah this is my issue, I know that performance wise the Z4 is probably a better car (maybe not handling wise though given a lot think it's a bit soft in corners) and like I say I love the interior but I think I'm still young enough to be at the stage where I want something like the 370 which gets a lot of attention and looks!

I would say drive both cars in both manual and auto variants if you're able to, that may help you to decide. There's probably good and bad points to both but it depends on what you feel is best for you, reviews aside its a personal choice where one person prefers the z4 another will prefer the 370. Enjoy a few test drives before trying to decide :)

Hopefully going to test drive this tonight.... http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/370z/370z-coupe-3-7-v6-gt-3dr-auto/3110612

Just by chance it's popped up 2 miles down the road from me in the past few days! Since I've been looking the nearest 370 for sale was about 100 miles away so at least now I'll get a chnace to sit in 1, see how the interior feels and see how the paddle shift drives :)

I would say drive both cars in both manual and auto variants if you're able to, that may help you to decide. There's probably good and bad points to both but it depends on what you feel is best for you, reviews aside its a personal choice where one person prefers the z4 another will prefer the 370. Enjoy a few test drives before trying to decide :)

Yeah hopefully will, as I said above only now getting the chnace to test a 370 that is near me, sadly not a manual for sale anywhere near me :(

Have driven the Z4's though and would definitely go for the auto if I did get one.

No - nothing major. The connect premium on later models is probably the most significant (apart from the very latest ones with the DRL`s)

link below to various specs ;

http://www.350z-uk.c...segtgtebenismo/

Fair play to the guy who put that together!! Very helpful :)

Just to clarify though, I'm guessing the auto 7 speed doesn't come with synchro rev?

Edited by JoshC

370. Obviously.

In terms of best balance of features for price I'd suggest a 2010 or 2011. As said above, the only really significant enhancement to the standard 370 has been the Connect Premium sat nav, which you'll get on anything 2010 onwards.

The Black Editions are a good buy these days.....:)

Don't forget to budget for an exhaust.

Edited by sipar69

370. Obviously.

In terms of best balance of features for price I'd suggest a 2010 or 2011. As said above, the only really significant enhancement to the standard 370 has been the Connect Premium sat nav, which you'll get on anything 2010 onwards.

The Black Editions are a good buy these days..... :)

I'm still torn between the 2, both pretty different cars really. The styling, engine noise and exclusivity all plus points of the 370 but the interior, convertible, build quality, engine and gear box all plus points of the Z4 :dry:

So any 2010 370 with sat nav should have the pemium system with touchscreen? Hopefully the one I posted above (which I'm test driving Friday) will do so then.

Seen a lovely black edition for sale but I just don't like black cars :( I'm leaning towards white or blue if it is to be a 370!

I guess I'll know better which I prefer when I drive the 370 on Friday! :)

No - nothing major. The connect premium on later models is probably the most significant (apart from the very latest ones with the DRL`s)

Just to clarify though, I'm guessing the auto 7 speed doesn't come with synchro rev?

There`s been some debate about this on here. Certainly when I got mine the Nissan website only made mention of the manual having it (and only the manual has the button to turn it on and off) but owners of autos say that the auto does have it (without a button)

when I bought my 370z last year I also was torn between the 370z and the z4 with the folding metal roof but opted for the 370z (obviously as I'm here now on this forum :lol: ) for me though the choice was made easier for 2 reasons, firstly for me anyway the 370 seemed to have more cabin space, I know that may sound strange as its a 2 seater but it just felt like it had a bit more space inside and I found it more comfortable, secondly my mrs (the gaffer ;) ) hated the z4 :lol: personally I think as I said earlier they both have good and bad points but for me anyway the zed won.

When in manual mode the 7at will indeed Rev on downshifts , it really is an excellent box , have a search for 370z auto on YouTube there is a great video of a guy on track and also an informative one of a guy showing how the box works. In the US where the auto is more popular it's been shown to be a tad quicker on the 1/4 mile but still straits the haters

There are pros and cons compared to a dsg , shift speed is just one (I drive a 7speed dsg daily)

Having driven a manual 350 and 370 it was a no brainer to me , I think the manual box is dire coupled to a noisy and clunky dmf.

Beśt advice though is to try both

For me, a real downside of the 370 auto is the paddles are mounted on the wheel which does not help when pressing on along the twisties ;)

That said, in a straight line it is a tad quicker than the manual.

No they arent ! They are mounted on the steering column (just like the GTR same paddles so you can get some funky carbon ones )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_bxGdleRxo

This guy shows that on track the auto works rather well

370. Obviously.

The Black Editions are a good buy these days..... :)

I'm still torn between the 2, both pretty different cars really. The styling, engine noise and exclusivity all plus points of the 370 but the interior, convertible, build quality, engine and gear box all plus points of the Z4 :dry:

So any 2010 370 with sat nav should have the pemium system with touchscreen? Hopefully the one I posted above (which I'm test driving Friday) will do so then.

Seen a lovely black edition for sale but I just don't like black cars :( I'm leaning towards white or blue if it is to be a 370!

I guess I'll know better which I prefer when I drive the 370 on Friday! :)

Simple way to check for Connect Premium is to see if it has touch screen controls. A further check is to look in the cubby between the seats for a USB port. I believe all 2010 cars onwards are Connect Premium.

I'm not a huge fan of black cars either but don't forget the Black Edition also came in this colour. Known as Quartz... :). The blue looks good as well though.

image_zpsf796ddd3.jpg

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Went to test drive it on Friday and I've decided I want it! In person the blue is lovely, a real wow factor when you first see it! It did indeed have the connect premium as I cheched the touch screen nav and usb. Also, looking at the pics it seems to have something with Bose branding in the wheel well? Is that an amp? I assume it'll have the Bose speakers as well in that case?

Only took it for a short drive but really liked it. Cabin is far improved on a 350 and the auto box isn't as good as a BMW DCT but plenty good enough! Just hoping insurance will hurry up and pay me so I can put a deposit down next week!

One other question I have... Is there anything that I need to look out for? I know when I bought my 350 I was advised to get one with the gearbox changed at 60k. Even though this has only done 34k, are there any common faults that should have been put right?

the bose in the spare wheel well is the sub, well 2 4" subs in an enclosure, the small amp is just behind the silver strut brace, under the false floor (haven't looked just googled it ) :)

this is my first auto so nothing to compare it to, seems pretty quick on using the paddles or box manual mode :)