Ouch

Bear11

Well after 5 weeks of ownership, my zed doesn't look pretty anymore.

Someone pulled out of a junction and hit the side of the car. The next couple of days will see if it is repairable or total loss, apparently it is a close call.

So a bit gutted. Looks like only panel damage so would it be worth buying it back if it is written off?

post-23233-0-80203700-1414694840_thumb.jpg

post-23233-0-02570200-1414694842_thumb.jpg

Oh that's just horrible anytime but after such a short ownership! I'm no expert others here are and will give you sound advice. Now go a and get bladdered! I would 😱😪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is that the insurance company will estimate the cost based on brand new panels from Nissan + spraying at insurance prices. If you buy the car back you should be able to do it significantly cheaper and come out of that better-off. It really depends on how valuable the car is to you and how sound it is mechanically. If you only had it for 5 weeks you might as well just take the cash and buy another one.

Well assessor just called me, total loss.

Valuation of the car is low so going to have the fun of the to-ing and fro-ing with the insurance company. He assessed the front wing, door+brackets, sill cover needed replacing, repair of alloy and rear quarter and a few other bits and bobs.

I'll have to wait for the insurance company to get back with their offer now.

Do not accept their first offer. Probably not the second one either. They always make their first offers too low and hope that people will just accept them without questioning. Get for sale ads of similar cars to show them as evidence that their offer is BS for mugs.

Edited by comrade
  • Like 5

I have seen a lot worse than that repaired.

Wings and door skin are not that much believe it or not.

It maybe the front wheel that made the insurance go ouch.

Mine was £1130 in 2011.

However there are complete set of rays with dunlop tyres on fleabay for £250 open to offers.

Door skin is about £100.

Wing is about £130 new but plenty of 2nd hand ones about.

Seal well OEM 2nd hand is £50 a set

Paint approx £300 per panel

And wheel approx £60 refurb.

Is there any structural damage?

• Like 2

Sorry, valuation was 5400.

No structural damage, alloy only needs refurbished but I have a couple of spare wheels anyway, I am still driving the car daily and it still goes well, just surprised how easily cars are put as a cat D with only a couple of panels damaged.

Still need to think about whether to buy it back or not, as with the repairs then potentially the hassle of selling on a cat D it may not be worth it.

It's a shame as it took me a long time to find one that was the right spec etc.

I bought mine from a friend. It only needed a new wing like yours, a new bumper + new light. It was a low speed accident, not his fault. Chassis is fine. Came out as a cat D. I was surprised too for such little cosmetic damage but hey ho. Keep it If you can and enjoy it if you're savvy with repairing cars. Good luck.

Edited by Rock_Steady

The problem is, as said in an earlier post, part prices from main dealers and body shops super escalating their prices when they know it's an insurance job

I had a mint and I mean mint Kawasaki zx7r, stationary at junction when a young girl knocked me off from behind, only damage was a scrape to one side panel and the exhaust, couldn't, believe it when they wrote it off :dry:

I was lucky, I got full £ for it and bought the bike back off them for peanuts, it was then my spare wet track bike :D

Rob