Alexdax VQ35DE rebuild

alexdax

I’m not a writher type man (Portuguese) more a reader…

but after some years (since 2004) reading about the Z I realize that the forums are a two way street and I´m going to make an effort to give my view of the Z game.

I want to give to you all my thanks and a special one to the forum because somehow I find our forum a safe place to be around, like home. The truth is that the usa forums have a lot more information but here I find it more accurate and friendly. This has been my family forum for a long time.

OLD picture

366_zps180d49db.jpg

Well you all know that I have bought in 2004 a new Z and put aside the beavers and unfortunately for my wallet I realize that it was a passion car (forget the quality and stuff, I have a bmw 635d and I don’t look at it twice, you know what I’m talking about)

So I start to mess around and this are my mods right now:

Complete 5.1 cinema alpine system (new head up display with internet)

Rear led tail lights

Diy headlights and Front led side markers

original from japan nismo rear spoiler

Alcantra steering wheel and seats with nismo logo

370Z nismo 19inch wheels with 275 and 245 Michelin Supersports

R35 gtr 6pot brakes (really big and beautiful on the Z)

Vortech V3 supercharger with intercooler and 3.12 vortech pulley (will I need a 2.87?)

550cc injectors

Diy stage ?? fuel setup with Tomei fuel regulator and OEM rail machined

GT Maf

Snow performance water/methanol stage 3 efi

Racing heaters without cats (mot? Don’t ask)

Diy oil catch can setup

Some minor stuff like gauges, caps and stuff

Ok now for the rebuild part

After some problems with the oil catch can breathing a lot I take a compression test and realize that the 4º and 6º cylinder was too weak almost 1/3 comparing to all the others, so I now had an excuse to open the engine and see what’s happening. And here we are…

copressontest_zpscf0177d8.jpg

Take some time researching for what will I need and this is my selection:

DSC07740_zps6bb2ef07.jpg

Cosworth Pistons rings and head gaskets CPR10:3

DSC07743_zpsd322f1ea.jpg

DSC07747_zps4a90df81.jpg

DSC07744_zps993f6051.jpg

DSC07757_zpsa3e13f9c.jpg

Brian crowler Rods +280.000psi i think its the toughest

DSC07746_zps72604a26.jpg

Brian crowler springs

DSC07750_zps6e590c5c.jpg

ARP studs

DSC07754_zps5a47db2c.jpg

ACL bearings

DSC07751_zpsa2ef6199.jpg

Crankshaft fluidamper

DSC07764_zps718274bb.jpg

Rev up Oil pump

DSC07765_zpsc150266b.jpg

This weekend I’m going to open it and hopefully update this tread

Feel free to comment my building

• Like 5

Where did you get the fluidampr as it's one of the last puzzle pieces for my build. The items you have look like good quality stuff, did you buy an engine gasket rebuild kit? What compression pistons did you go for i thought cosworth only did high and low? L17 head studs? Watching with interest.

Where did you get the fluidampr as it's one of the last puzzle pieces for my build. The items you have look like good quality stuff, did you buy an engine gasket rebuild kit? What compression pistons did you go for i thought cosworth only did high and low? L17 head studs? Watching with interest.

mate

All came from a friend from the US

the fluidampr = usa

nop the engine gaskets are the cosworth if i need some others minor gaskets will be Nissam OEM

the compression ratio is 10:3 youcan see here http://tomitaka.com/...heets v1.0a.pdf

I think that for a supercharger setup this ratio is the best because i can control knock event and make more power that with the 8:8 CPRatio

L17 headstuds are ok, no need L19 remember, supercharger not turbo... and... i never see an engine fail because of the studs... not even with nissan OEM studs. but i think that my 202-4701 are L19??

:)

Edited by alexdax
  • Like 1

Nice parts list Alex.

10.3:1 CR is equal to stock CR. Should be ok as you will be making just under 500whp with the V3 if you use the 2.87 pulley. The issue you will have is keeping AITs down with a very efficient Intercooler and avoiding belt slip. The STS Vortech intercooler will not cut it.

I did not get any belt slip when I upgraded my serpentine belt to the gates HD belt.

Keep the build and pics coming😎

Nice parts list Alex.

10.3:1 CR is equal to stock CR. Should be ok as you will be making just under 500whp with the V3 if you use the 2.87 pulley. The issue you will have is keeping AITs down with a very efficient Intercooler and avoiding belt slip. The STS Vortech intercooler will not cut it.

I did not get any belt slip when I upgraded my serpentine belt to the gates HD belt.

Keep the build and pics coming😎

thanks for the advice

i have done the mods on the vortech belt with a new gates heavy use and with adicional two pulleys near the vortech pulley, no slip at all.

intercooler not a problem meth keep down the internal temp.

Any chance you can post some good quality pictures of the car with the 370 Nismo wheels on?

Also anyone know where I can get a set? (I'm sure they are super expensive)

i will try to take a nice pics of the car as it is now.

Nice parts list Alex.

Keep the build and pics coming������

thanks for the advice

i have done the mods on the vortech belt with a new gates heavy use and with adicional two pulleys near the vortech pulley, no slip at all.

Aha, missed the fact you have meth. What are planing to tune with? UPrev or standalone ECU?Personally I would avoid meth injection and use water only if AITs are high but it's just easier to spec an appropriate intercooler. Reduces complexity, running cost and the need to get a steady meth supply. The same reason I would not use n2o. I have the mega efficient treadstone TR1245 intercooler which is rated over 1000hp. I also know somebody using it and pushing out 760whp with the Vortech V7 sc and no meth. His AITs are just a few degrees over ambient and he has no issues even on track/gymkhana. In anycase whatever works for you it will be interes to follow your buildðŸ‘

Nice parts list Alex.

Keep the build and pics coming������

thanks for the advice

Aha, missed the fact you have meth. What are planing to tune with? UPrev or standalone ECU?Personally I would avoid meth injection and use water only if AITs are high but it's just easier to spec an appropriate intercooler. Reduces complexity, running cost and the need to get a steady meth supply. The same reason I would not use n2o. I have the mega efficient treadstone TR1245 intercooler which is rated over 1000hp. I also know somebody using it and pushing out 760whp with the Vortech V7 sc and no meth. His AITs are just a few degrees over ambient and he has no issues even on track/gymkhana. In anycase whatever works for you it will be interes to follow your build������

your absolut right, i will take a look at this intercooler, thanks. :thumbs:

about the meth i have no worries because i work with this product.

i tune with UPREV, and if the forum allows i have to thank MARK GILLIAM from ABBEY MOTORSPORT cause i´m a pain in the ass and he always help me with my tune. (I tune myself on a friends dyno)

Thank you MARK

Sorry if i brake any rule ;)

Edited by alexdax

Loving the GTR brakes, much hassle to fit? custom brackets?

Yeah I noticed the cosworth head gaskets but there are quite a few nissan oem ones that need replaced when doing a full strip/build, What do you plan on reving to?(what are the BC springs rated for).

Didn't know cosworth did 10.3 comp pistons, good choice and as you say the meth should help avoid knock with lower intemp.

B)