MPG - I know it comes up a lot.

Svothe

I have a 4x4 2.0 tdi I can sort of steal from family. I think I'm going to have to have a sit down and see if i can take that on full time as my work horse and keep the zed for my fun car. Not sure how well that will go down. Is it bad I'm seriously considering changing job just so its closer for a zed commute?

Yes as a cruiser they don't come much better for getting from A to B effortlessly, but it comes into its own when pushing on along B roads and really the mpg is going to take a dive, and all depending of course what you are doing with your right foot.

Having seen many before you worry about the mpg but taking the plunge we have then seen sales soon follow on due to the running costs as they are not exactly cheap cars to run and given 350's are least 5 years old now going onto 12 years old so invariably wear and tear items, aside from any unexpected costs, will all add up.

Deepish pockets then ;)

I get about 300 - 350 miles to a tank when commuting 10 miles each way to work and back. Display shows 25mpg average. I've had cars before that supped fuel for fun and it did take the enjoyment out of them whilst constantly watching the rev counter. As mentioned before, make sure you have plenty of spare cash left over each month before considering it.

My girlfriend up until recently did 60 miles a day and we have a Golf TDI for that reason. She used to do it in a VR6, absolutely loved the car but hated putting petrol in!

don't forget, even though the zed uses a bit more fuel, it is a far more special place to sit than a diesel repmobile, and it does make a lovely noise, and when you need the torque, its there ready at low rpm.

In fact im seriously considering binning my car share scheme just so I can drive my zed more, rather than get lifts in a mates mini cooper. sure it'll cost me £90 more a month in petrol but it will mean I spend an extra 8 hours a month behind the wheel!

• Like 1

don't forget, even though the zed uses a bit more fuel, it is a far more special place to sit than a diesel repmobile, and it does make a lovely noise, and when you need the torque, its there ready at low rpm.

In fact im seriously considering binning my car share scheme just so I can drive my zed more, rather than get lifts in a mates mini cooper. sure it'll cost me £90 more a month in petrol but it will mean I spend an extra 8 hours a month behind the wheel!

^^ This entirely in my opinion. A large amount of life time is spent in cars commuting - it might as well be zedding - otherwise it's driving time wasted! So it costs a fair bit, but so does anything nice. Drive, enjoy, mod, maintain, repeat in my opinion :thumbs:

Anyway it could be worse - I often see swish, German more than any other (usually Mercs and older fast BMWs) broken down on my route - I'm sure they had a nice drive in pious luxury until the light came on and the engine stopped going at the most inconvenient late for work or broken down on the way home :lol:

Going along with the general how much, how many mpg etc I feel the whole subject should be viewed from a different perspective...

....zedding / zed driving should be viewed as smiles per miles which in my case(and probably most zed owners) equals loads and you can't put a price on happiness so using that logic then the zed is very economical because it just gives soooo much happiness ;)

Edited by tatooandy67
  • Like 2

awwwww smiles per mile :)

so for me that's:

think about driving zed SMILE

walk up to zed SMILE

start zed up BIG SMILE

pull out onto road SMILE

that's 4 smiles in the space of about 50 yards!

and then once on the move, theres:

accelerate out of 30 limit into 50 limit SMILE

pull out from side road onto an A road - gratuitous acceleration from 10mph to 60mph up a hill BIG SMILE

accelerate down the slip road to join motorway SMILE

that's another 3 in as many miles!

• Like 3

I was obsessed with fuel consumption before I bought mine as I'd read so many posts of 200 miles/£85 fill ups and I can't stomach that. I've had mine about 1,000 miles now. Using it daily and doing a short commute to work with a few spirited drives I got 300-350 miles to a tank. I recently drove 170 miles and stuck to 65 mph most of the way with a couple of quicker blasts towards the end. I got 33mpg. I then drove home at 80mph for the majority of the 170 miles and I got 31mpg. I don't think that's bad at all to be honest!

I was obsessed with fuel consumption before I bought mine as I'd read so many posts of 200 miles/£85 fill ups and I can't stomach that. I've had mine about 1,000 miles now. Using it daily and doing a short commute to work with a few spirited drives I got 300-350 miles to a tank. I recently drove 170 miles and stuck to 65 mph most of the way with a couple of quicker blasts towards the end. I got 33mpg. I then drove home at 80mph for the majority of the 170 miles and I got 31mpg. I don't think that's bad at all to be honest!

You need to use it for what it was intended for...not an economy run... :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

I've had mine from what was essentially new and apart from the time I had to replace the battery (it stood unused for the first 13 months of its life) I've never reset the computer. It was reading pretty much the same in 2009, when the battery was changed as it is now, that is 26.1 MPG. Seeing as I only do around 150 miles a month I rarely fill it to the brim as I see little point in carrying a full tank of petrol for weeks on end but I have on occasions taken note of my mileage and fuel added and done some calculations. On longer runs around 29/30 on shorter runs 20/22. Of course when the temperature drops in the winter it'll use a fair bit more fuel. Caroline's Zed has never been reset either, 7.8k when we got it and 22k on the clock now and hers has never reached 22 MPG but she only does short runs to work and back with the occasional trip to Cheshire Oaks.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

Mine started out at 28mpg when I got her in June and it's gradually reduced to 22.3 now I've got used to her and enjoy my short commute and a nice blast here and there but as the others have said you can't put a price on the smiles & pleasure glad you've decided to go for it! Life's too short not to enjoy what you love😎 less booze more driving sounds like a planðŸ˜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My worst average so far was 22mpg (short trips, average traffic), best 29, keeping steady 70 mph on motorway returns about 34-35mpg.

My Civic Type R used to return same mpg on the motorway and was much noisier and less comfy than the Zed. :) It did significantly better around town but Zed's engine noise compensates for that. :D

On a side note:

I've logged all my fill ups in aCar android app (very good app for keeping track of what you spend on the car, running costs, mpg, servicing, etc.) to compare the actual mpg with what the trip computer says (resetting avg. mpg after every fill up) and I was surprised to find that Zed's trip computer is very accurate - always within 0.2 mpg!