Oil grade which one to use?

-Bradders-

Hi all, Cars due an oil change, done 3.5k miles in 3 months lol..

When i bought the car it came with 5l of motul 3000 i think it was 5w30 grade, but its done a few miles so think i want to opt for 10w40, little bit thicker for the old girl, 122k miles now!

What would you guys reccomend? i need it today/tomorrow so needs to be purchasable at a local store, unless i can get guaranteed next day delivery somewhere?!

thanks for the help.

Brad

10w40 is the wrong oil for our climate�� though you can use it. 5w30 or 40 is all you need. Read up Opie or speak to oilman.

Since our temps don't reach -30F it makes no difference whether you use 0w40 0w30 5w30 or10w40 the cold viscosity is virtually the same.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky
  • Like 1

...just make sure it's a decent oil. Basically, not Magnatec! :lol:

What makes you say that, what's wrong with Magnatec? I'm looking at which oil to use myself and Magnatec 5W30 A1 meets all the original specs in the handbook, whereas some of the other oils that get mentioned don't, e.g. Castrol Edge 5W30. Castrol website actually recommends Magnatec as a second choice for the HR engine. However it recommends Edge 0W30 as a first choice but that doesn't meet the original specs!

It may be that the spec of more expensive oils is actually better but just different, but not being an oil rating system expert I don't know. The whole subject of engine oils is a nightmare nowadays. There are so many different ratings and specs mentioned that nobody knows what the hell to use, hence threads like this.

Having seen first hand how incredibly thin Magnatec goes when warm, it's not something I would ever use again. Yes, it meets all the specs and I agree that it should be of an equal standard, but my own eyes do not deceive me and it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I've seen incredible wear on engines that have been run with Magnatec, and it was horrendous to witness. Ultimately if it's in budget and it's the only thing you can find then it's clearly better than no oil at all, and better than a mineral oil, but I still would only use it in an emergency.

• Like 1

Having seen first hand how incredibly thin Magnatec goes when warm, it's not something I would ever use again. Yes, it meets all the specs and I agree that it should be of an equal standard, but my own eyes do not deceive me and it's not a risk I'm prepared to take.

I've seen incredible wear on engines that have been run with Magnatec, and it was horrendous to witness. Ultimately if it's in budget and it's the only thing you can find then it's clearly better than no oil at all, and better than a mineral oil, but I still would only use it in an emergency.

Fair do's :thumbs: It seems to me that most modern engines are specced to use 5W30 now, and they're like water when they're hot. What's your personal oil choice and why?

Fair do's :thumbs: It seems to me that most modern engines are specced to use 5W30 now, and they're like water when they're hot. What's your personal oil choice and why?

This I s mainly to do with economy figures and emission's, but because modern oils are so good you can get away with using low viscosity oils, also modern engines are designed to run lower oil pressures, for the same reason.

How many threads have we seen with zeds smoking like dot cotton because they use magnatec!

It was one a month at one point.

• Like 1