NA Builds Info

Pete87

I'm just spit balling at the moment for possible future plans but I'm quite happy with the performance of my zed but would like abit more. I understand why people go for the usual forced induction route as it's the best performance per pound.

I don't want to go for crazy performance but really like the thought of a decent NA build. So what I'm thinking is big cams, bigger valves, valve springs, manifolds, port and polishing and any cooling and fueling mods that would be need doing.

I read ages ago that in the Zeds you can only go to a certain size cams without work, any info from you engine building gods would be great.

I would expect to only see another maybe 15-20BHPmax over the usual after a remap, with adding cams and port an polish + all the other usual mods, perhaps another 10-15 if you add ITBs but the cost is going to end up being similar to going FI by the time you have finished I would have thought.

NA gains are very hard won, and often require a capacity and RPM limit increase to make the best of things.

I understand I'm not going to see stupid gains but I'm more looking for abit more power and response, and I want it to sound crazy. I plan on keeping the zed indefinitely and constantly upgrading bits slowly. I'm also not comfortably running the engine very close to its limit all the time say 390 Bhp.

Also another problem I have is I have to drive autos so don't want to put to much strain on the box as there not that easy to come by. So I'm looking at 300-350Bhp if it's possible.

I shall have a read through that thread thanks for the link.

Edited by Pete87

Have you done everything else you can to make it go faster? Brakes, tyres, bracing, suspension, removing weight etc?

I only ask as they get you large gains in performance for medium cash, tuning an NA engine will net you small gains for big cash. I agree with you, a good NA build would be my call too, but only as a last resort once I'd done everything else.

• Like 2

It's currently got wheels, coilovers , updated front pads and I will uprate the rears when I change them next and I have semi stripped the car and yes the little I have taken out I did notice a difference. And in terms of them engine build I would just like to do something abit different from the norm I found a video on you tube of a silver time attack zed that has big cams on it and fell in love with the sound.

It's currently got wheels, coilovers , updated front pads and I will uprate the rears when I change them next and I have semi stripped the car and yes the little I have taken out I did notice a difference. And in terms of them engine build I would just like to do something abit different from the norm I found a video on you tube of a silver time attack zed that has big cams on it and fell in love with the sound.

Have you looked at any of the Brian Crower worked Zeds?

If you want to stay n/a then you can get stroker kits, cams and things from him. Another popular in the US upgrade.

Link: http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan/vq35de_stroker.shtml

Tarmac Sportz is your place for that if that's what you want. I've been looking at it for a while now. :cloud9:

Link: http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350z_03-06_Brian_Crower_4.15L_Stroker_Kit/350z-BC0229_.aspx

372 whp n/a 350z

Great video Steveo..inspiration!

Pete I am in the same boat as you; I will be keeping the zed indefinitely as I am financially beyond the point of return :lol:! It will be interesting to see what you decide and how it goes! Could inform my decision as I don't want my ass handed to me by a Skoda :lol:;)

• 5 weeks later...

Afternoon,

I am a NA lover.

FI is and always will be ''cheating'' in my eyes.

Every tuning project ive done has been NA. to the extent of valve work, compression increasing, ITBs and standalone ECU jobbies.

however these are as we know, expensive. Not only that these projects were on 4 cylinder engines. adding an extra 2 is literally 50% more in cost!

Anyway....

Check out this 350z project in the US. they are doing a full ''bolt on'' NA tune. they have not yet remapped the ECU, but have a full exhaust (inc manifold) and cams installed, and have dynoed at every step.

Results are impressive, especially as ECU remapping is yet to come.

put into perspective for a minute though... a 3.5liter making nr 300bhp NA. its already quite efficient.

read this 350z project... and all its bolt on articles. very well put together.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Nissan/350Z.aspx

Pritchard