New car suggestions

LRF4N

As most of you know the skyline has probably reached the end of it's days so il most likely be looking for a new car in the next few days

Been driving a car from the mid 90s for 4 years so I was already craving something more modern and comfortable as a runaround. Don't wanna spend big yet so my thinking is get a runaround for now then next year get another project car and (hopefully) splash out on a nice cruiser for daily use

At the moment I'm thinking E46 3 coupe, E60 5 sport or CLK sport. Leaning towards the 3 series at the moment but open to suggestions

So my criteria:

3-4k, 5 at a push

Comfortable

A solid feeling car- no lightweight French or jap cars

Preferably auto

Reasonable miles but not too scared of 100k+

Reasonable economy

Up to 10 years old

Leather, xenons etc would be nice extras

There are more 3 coupes in this price range than the others, the mercs tend to be above 5k mark but some do come below

Iv been racking my brain for ages but can't see past the beamers. There must be others iv missed. Fire suggestions away

I would give the E46 a wide berth. I've had a couple of these and both were very unreliable. Conversely, i cant speak highly enough of my E90 3-Series 320d. Absolutely lovely car and like night and day in comparison to the E46.

I picked mine up for £4800 with 106k on the clock, but i've seen them cheaper.

• Like 1

Although I do want something a bit more grown up a jag is a stretch too far for me. I'm 31 so not ready for that yet lol

Will is love an A5 but they're still sitting above 7k for high miles and no spec

The A4 s line is nice to look at but interior is so dated. Was looking at one for my wife but decided against it

Neil iv never owned a bmw and love how they drive so can't rule them out

Hadn't considered an m3 I hate how they sound. I'd prefer a 330 clubsport

Dan see my post above about jags. The s type is the worst out the lot :lol:

Agreed. I'd rather have something with personality than something dull. If you're doing dull, then you might as well do cheap dull so something like a Mondeo would get my cash.

S-Type R is in budget, if you look hard enough.

LRF4N would you like petrol or diesel powered or not bothered?

What about number of doors, ...prefer 2 door coupes or do you have kids so 4 doors would be better?

Any preference on driven wheels? 4wd etc?

Also engine size: happy to drive a 1.1, 1.3 etc or prefer 2.0Litres and above?

Just thought if I/we got some more details from you could search Autotrader to see what turns up. ;)

I love how the 3 coupe drives. Wouldn't say it's dull at all. The 5 is a comfy cruiser with probably the best drive in it's class of that age. A mondeo doesn't come close to a bmw

GM- doesn't have to be a diesel but if it's petrol then as long as it's not too much of a guzzler. Not fussed on driven wheels.

We've got a family wagon so 2 and 4 doors would suit me

Would prefer something with at least 2 litres. Not fussed on performance but don't want anything too sluggish

Sorry that doesn't narrow it down much :lol:

Cheers GM- already looked at a few of them. Quite like the grey merc at 3999 with amg kit

Gixxer I saw a few 320cd's but people have told me they're slow so remap could sort that out. Hadn't thought of that mate

Cheers GM- already looked at a few of them. Quite like the grey merc at 3999 with amg kit

Gixxer I saw a few 320cd's but people have told me they're slow so remap could sort that out. Hadn't thought of that mate

I've been in a 320d which was remapped, certainly not slow :thumbs: also driven a 335d coupe which is mapped and that is quick

a friend had the 320d mapped and then bought a 530d and he said it felt slow in comparison

mapping a diesel is much cheaper than a zed :thumbs: I've had a few diesels (still have) and would not have one without remapping, it makes that much difference

Edited by GIXXERUK