Mushroom but are they harmful.

Harryjax

They look like "Fools Funnel" to me. Will make you fairly ill and can be fatal in some cases. Wild edible mushrooms usually grow in uncultivated pasture land and not in gardens, although it is possible for them to grow there if conditions are right. I used to go mushrooming with my parents and left anything that wasn't the classic mushroom shape alone.

Pete

• Like 3

I don't know about the ones in your pic without looking in my book, but here's a good general tip if you see fungus that looks just like a 'normal' supermarket mushroom...

THE YELLOW STAINERIf you 'scratch' the top of the fungus with your fingernail and the skin turns yellow, DON'T EAT IT. IT'S A 'YELLOW STAINER'. It looks just like an edible mushroom, but it will make you ill. If you're still not sure, cut the stem with a knife and look at the cut stem. If the cut part has turned yellow, it's a yellow stainer - poisonous - don't eat it.Please be very careful. If in doubt, leave it.

Personally, I'd not eat the ones in your pic. I go out and find mushrooms locally - I've not made a mistake yet, but I'm extremely careful. Some can kill you.

Edit - As for your worries about your grandson. Probably best to make sure he doesn't touch them. They won't last long - 2 weeks at most, probably less.

Edited by chubbster
  • Like 1

Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Bit harsh considering they're only in my garden.

They're not trying to take over the world. :lol:

Maybe I will decapitate them. Much less mess than a nuke. ;)

• Like 1

Mushrooms like this actually live underground, what you are seeing is only the fruits, or reproductive parts.

Rather than try to kill them (which will be near on impossible), why not teach your grandson about the wonderful world of fungi? They're amazing things.

Poisonous mushrooms are much less common than non-poisonous mushrooms and generally taste bitter and awful (much like their smell). Little harm will be done from entering the mouth without ingestion - it's a common procedure in identification.

• Like 3