Recommendations

Hooch

Right, been looking through a lot of threads and annoyingly most of the posts are arguments.

To avoid this you are not allowed to mention Michelin Pilot SUPER Sports, this should avoid arguments (hopefully)

I need to replace all 4 of my tyres as the current ones are cracked (manufacture date 2010, not good!) and the fronts are low.

Currently I'm on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050.

I don't want to spend a huge amount as I don't do track days but when I want a spirited drive I don't want to end up in a hedge.

I could go with the RE050's again for £128 each corner but its a bit over budget and I wanted some more suggestions.

Can I get something equal or better for cheaper?

I like the idea of the Kumho KU39's at £88.... :D

Edited by Hooch

Asking for tyre recommendations is like going into a London pub and asking a people who they support. Everyone has a favourite and will defend it to the hilt.

Go onto Tyreleader, see what tyres are in your price range, and go with them.

• Like 2

I have and I still cannot decide so that's why I was asking what peoples favourites were...

Also people have gone though a lot of types so its interesting to know what their findings were

Edited by Hooch

I have and I still cannot decide so that's why I was asking what peoples favourites were...

You said yourself you have read dozens of threads on the same subject and they all end in arguements. Do you think this will end any different?

You will get recommendations from people for just about every brand and variety of tyre out there. It still won't help you choose.

I always swear by VUS, others hate them. Some swear by P-Zero's, others hate them. Some swear by Falkens, others hate them. Get where I am going with this?...

I'm using Continental ContiSportContact right now and I think they're pretty decent, probably not going to be any cheaper than Bridgestone though. How about some Hankook's? My mate has them and seems pretty pleased with them. As for Falken's I've used them before on my previous car and thought they were very good, give them a go?

Edited by pjf1985

Interesting, it seems the Hankook's are only being brought up recently, have they started getting better?

The Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 are only around £100 but people always mention the Hankook Ventus S1.

There's an Evo 1 version of the S1's and an Evo 2, what's the difference in these?

And I'v never heard of Nexen N8000 tyres, there's some interesting stuff on the internet about them also.

So many tyres!!

Below is the tyres ive driven on in the Z and the order i rate them

1) Maxxis Maz1

2) Khumo Ku39

3) Continental Contisport 3

4) Michelin pilot sport 2

5) Nexen Nefa SU1

6) Kenda kr20

7) Achillies ATR Sport (regular compound not the track version, Although i do have a set to try :D )

But im going to be trying Hankooks ventus s1 evo 2 next for road use as a few of the US guys i talk to rate them

I know its not life or death (unless I choose Linglongs) but they will be on there for a good few years so want to make sure I don't end up with a car that looses it in the wet.

I have priced up some of the common ones (best price):

Kumho KU39: £330 + Fitting = £390

Eagle F1: £480 + Fitting = £540

Falken 453: £406 + Fitting = £466

Hankook S1: £419 + Fitting = £479

So it is quite a saving going for the Kumho's but is the saving worth the decrease in grip, that's what I can't work out :surrender:

I know its not life or death (unless I choose Linglongs) but they will be on there for a good few years so want to make sure I don't end up with a car that looses it in the wet.

I have priced up some of the common ones (best price):

Kumho KU39: £330 + Fitting = £390

Eagle F1: £480 + Fitting = £540

Falken 453: £406 + Fitting = £466

Hankook S1: £419 + Fitting = £479

So it is quite a saving going for the Kumho's but is the saving worth the decrease in grip, that's what I can't work out :surrender:

Quite a saving there, though like you say if there gonna be on for a good few years is it not worth paying that little bit extra. May work out cheaper in the end ?

That's the big plus about the MPSS, you get more than your money's worth as they last so long.

Eagle F1s are excellent, but honestly if you're happy with the RE050A and could find the cash for them, then I would stick with those. They're really very good.