True Dual - worth doing it right?

mr_smith126

So from doing a little research on what I want out of an exhaust I have seen some potentials.

The question i guess is should i do it properly and go true dual.

Requirements are close to OEM look as poss, i.e. rolled tips.

Good quality sound, not too raspy.

Cheapside - Cobra + y-pipes

A little extra - Invidia Gemini + decat pipes

Whats your views, worth going the extra mile..?

Whats your looking to achieve? Power? Noise?

Power - True dual

Noise - single pipe

Definitely don't want a single pipe, just not keen on the looks.

I'm not shy of a good exhaust note, but want a quality noise thats not too raspy, the Invidia Gemini seemed to tick those boxes.. I'll be at the ace cafe meet so should be able to get some feedback on sound whilst up there..

I just figured by the time I've got a Cobra or Japspeed K2 with a y-pipe.. I'm only a couple of hundred off the Invidia system which is true dual, so is it worth the push to go true dual..

have you considered a DC Sports true dual? im my opinion sounds a bit meatier than the invidia, and theres a trader on here at the moment (funkypower) who is doing an excellent price on them!

EDIT: this one: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/89841-dc-sports-dual-exhaust-system-with-x-pipe/

Edited by brillomaster

I'd steer clear of the japspeed k2 as there is fitment issues with them. I found out the hard way ! I've now got the invidia Gemini exhaust with berk Hfc's and love it not too loud unless you want it too be and with no rasp at all or drone at cruising speeds . Can't comment on the cobra , but like you say buy the time you've bought the y pipe (cobra) at about £700 complete for another £150 you can get the invidia. When I bought my berks on the last group buy from Tarmac i also bought the the exhaust at the same time and Chris did me a good deal on that too. There's a group buy on the berks at the moment so it's well worth a PM to Tarmac.

have you considered a DC Sports true dual? im my opinion sounds a bit meatier than the invidia, and theres a trader on here at the moment (funkypower) who is doing an excellent price on them!

EDIT: this one: http://www.350z-uk.c...em-with-x-pipe/

Not come across the DC before....

Like the fact everything is welded, no clamps here unlike the Invidia and the system looks like good quality for the price.

The cons would be the tips are straight cut, really really wanted rolled tips and also a little concerned that there are some reports from the states of it being mega raspy..? Might have to do more research.. Wonder if anyone has one that's heading to the Ace Cafe on the 20th..? Can't beat seeing/hearing in the flesh..

I moved from a HKS Style True Dual to the Invidia Gemini with Berk HFC's and its awesome, really love the sound, totally no droning at all on the motorway, or in fact at any speed, which I have to say, I did have with the HKS Style. Driving on the motorway and cruising was enough to give you a thumping headache with the droning.

Chose wisely ;-)

Like the fact everything is welded, no clamps here unlike the Invidia and the system looks like good quality for the price.

The only clamps on the Invidia are for the rear tail pipes ~ this is a good thing as it allows you to get the tips positioned correctly with your rear bumper and also if you fancy a change of tip it's an easy swap or if your originals get damaged again easy swap.

Also the Invidia exhaust system has no flexi joints unlike that DC system. Hate flexi joints so much as they are so prone to damage & are a definite weak point on any exhaust system.

After researching a lot before getting my exhaust system I decided the best one for me was the Invidia Gemini exhaust system with Berks HFC's from Tarmac Sportz. Sounds great, looks ace, excellent quality & no drone. :yahoo:B)

The only clamps on the Invidia are for the rear tail pipes ~ this is a good thing as it allows you to get the tips positioned correctly with your rear bumper and also if you fancy a change of tip it's an easy swap or if your originals get damaged again easy swap.

Also the Invidia exhaust system has no flexi joints unlike that DC system. Hate flexi joints so much as they are so prone to damage & are a definite weak point on any exhaust system.

After researching a lot before getting my exhaust system I decided the best one for me was the Invidia Gemini exhaust system with Berks HFC's from Tarmac Sportz. Sounds great, looks ace, excellent quality & no drone. :yahoo:B)

Does the Invidia not have flexi joints towards cat end..?

I've been trying to do a bit of research on true dual vs single etc and it seems that most standard set ups (y pipe, single mid pipe) are good for around 500hp, so unless you're going turbo there doesn't seem to be any real need to do it unless you fancy it.

Only reason I've been looking into this is I'm running a SC and I've heard that Abbey MS reckon the Cobra exhaust (similar to what I have) is naff for FI purposes.

You can probably push silly numbers out of a standard style exhaust, but that doesn't mean that with the same power mods that the true dual won't make better numbers. :)

I'd be curious to see the difference in numbers between the standard style and a true dual, if only I had the money and resources to see the results on a dyno.

I went with the resonated Milltek - looks OEM, sounds great (awarded 'best zorst' on our recent road-trip), doesn't drone, costs less than £900 delivered (cat back) and dead easy to fit. Win.

Please let me know where you can get a resonated Milltek for less than £900 delivered - I've only seen them at about £1,200. Sounds very interesting if it's true.

edit - just realised you're talking about a 350z and I'm thinking of my 370 - duh!

Edited by chubbster

• 2 weeks later...

So went to the Ace cafe meet but unfortunately no-one had a Invidia Gemini system for me to look at and have a listen..

Think this is the only system that ticks my boxes currently as per original post.

If anyone near Watford Herts has this system and wouldn't mind me coming to see them, give me a heads up..

And secondly I have seen a lot of people interested in this system recently, give me a shout if that is you and perhaps we can speak to one of the suppliers to sort out some kind of group buy.. i'll be looking at the Invidia Gemini system with rolled tips + Invidia 60mm decat pipes.