Overheating... only driven 250 miles.

craigbev92

Okay so I bought my first zed last night and love it to bits!!! However driving around today. Light traffic. Not driving fast just casual driving and the engine light comes on and starts pouring coolant out the overfill.

Noticed that the coolant is way overfilled but there was a sort of warring noise when it was running from the left of the engine as you look at it. And also a noise as it cooled down as if something was being poured???

Needing some urgent help guys. Not a good start to zed life :(

Cheers

Craig

start the car from stationary then.. (as if you were sitting in the drivers seat looking at the engine) the right fan should come on if it doesn't it would need fixing or replacing.

Have a search on forum for repair on fan motors or I think zmanalex sells upgraded mishimoto fans for around £200

Edited by jumping350

Sounds like the fans, then - I had this happen early in my Zeds life and before I found this forum. It may even be that on your return drive home, if you were driving normally, you didn't get any faults as normal airflow will have kept you cool enough - it's only when you hit traffic and you need the fans to really keep the airflow up that you have problems.

I paid £600 at a main stealer but there are a couple of traders on here who do Mishimoto ( iirc) at a fraction of this and if you fit them yourself its in the £100 or so range

I can't remember who the trader is, sorry about that, but several people have had this so hopefully you'll find it in 'search'

As others have said the likely cause is the fans not working. When the car is running and comes up to working temperature you should see one of the fans start to work, if not then it's probably had it. The other fan works when the A/c is turned on so you can check that by turning that on when the cars running.

Some members have taken their fan motors apart and cleaned them/replaced parts but usually this is just a temporary fix. Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/69810-how-to-repairfix-your-cooling-fan-motors-youtube-vid/

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/88321-carried-out-a-rad-fan-motor-fix-today-small-how-too/

Alternatively you could get a good used set of OEM fans from zmanalex on here or from one of the other members/traders that are currently breaking 350Z's.

Another alternative is to take the opportunity to upgrade at a cost more reasonable than the OEM parts from Nissan. As Jumping350 mentioned you can get the Mishimoto fan shroud which Clark Motorsport, Tarmac Sportz and others sell on here.

Link to Tarmacs fans although PM him for best delivered price; http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/350z_Mishimoto_350Z_Fan_Shroud/350z-MMFS-350Z-03_.aspx

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Honestly Craig, ...easiest thing to do now you've got coolant in it again is to check whether the fans work as they should. If not then it's them.

I've only been on here about a year but have seen this so many times now, ...Jumping350, AttakZ, Ricky, Will etc have all been on here for like 4-5+ years so I'd listen to what they're saying.

It could be the thermostat but it's much easier to check the fans first, fix if needed, then work from there. ;)

If your issue is only when driving in traffic or stationery then it is a 1% chance that it will be the stat.

From cold, top up your coolant from the radiator and then the reservoir bottle up to max slowly leaving enough time for the air to escape.

Start the car and leave to tick over with air con on until the fans kick in or until it overheats.

Going on what you have written it will 99% be the fan motor/motors that have failed.

Oh! unfortunately you may now have to bleed the coolant system which is another can of worms.

Let me know if I can help further.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX
  • Like 1

If the EML has also come on then best to pull the codes and post up what they are and I will provide you the fix.

However I doubt if the issues will be related.

Hope that you have not been sold a pup :surrender:

Did you get a pre purchase independent inspection carried out on the car ?

How did you pay?

If the EML has also come on then best to pull the codes and post up what they are and I will provide you the fix.

How did you pay?

How do I pull these codes up?

And no test drove it and it made it home 120 miles fine.

And bank transfer

How did you pay?

How do I pull these codes up?

And no test drove it and it made it home 120 miles fine.

And bank transfer

Best to use a code reader to pull and reset the codes.

Paying cash, then you are well and truly shafted if is costly unless the seller is prepared to help you out.

Check the fan motor operation and report back.

Nissan will probably charge you circa £50.00. for the privilege.

Buy a code reader for half that price as you will require it in the future.

There is a pedal dance procedure to read the code, however best get your self a code reader.

Nissan will probably charge you circa £50.00. for the privilege.

Buy a code reader for half that price as you will require it in the future.

There is a pedal dance procedure to read the code, however best get your self a code reader.

Do you know the best one to buy?

Craig