370z and baby!

Brayster

So unexpectedly a number of weeks ago I found out I'm going to be a Dad for the first time- Brill - as at the ripe old age of 38 I/we didn't think it was going to happen...

But after the excitement has dropped a bit -- I've realised I'm gonna have to sell my car? Gutted as having had it for just 9 mths .. Simply I love it!

But I got thinking today? If I trade the missus's mini in for a Juke with sat nav and rear camera (and plastic wheel arches) 😆 we can use that as a family car and I can keep my 370z as my daily driver....

But can I? Doing a little research im a little worried that in an emergency if I needed to collect said little one ...can a car seat go safely in a 370z? this weight activated switch I read about that turns the airbag on or off when something "light is in the front seat" worries me and I don't want to risk it.

Anyone successfully done this?

Any advice or something you seasoned parents think I'm missing/forgetting/not considering?

Thx

Edited by Brayster

Bask in the joy of being a dad. Get a sensible car and be a dad.

It's not the end of the world. You can get one when your family is older.

I did and now my son is mates with a hell of a lot of the guys on this forum.

A rear facing seat shouldn't really be used in any circumstances in a Zed or for that matter any 2 seater or in the front of a 4 seater. As far as front facing seats go the child has to weigh somewhere around 9-13kgs before they can go into one of these. I looked into this when my step daughter had her first baby 4 years ago and decided that I wouldn't feel that she was safe until she was at least 3 years old. My own daughter (now 25) didn't get to sit in the front of my car till she was 6 or 7 at the insistence of her mother :surrender:

Congrats BTW, like you I thought it'd never happen and became a first (and only) time father at 40.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

A rear facing seat shouldn't really be used in any circumstances in a Zed or for that matter any 2 seater or in the front of a 4 seater. As far as front facing seats go the child has to weigh somewhere around 9-13kgs before they can go into one of these. I looked into this when my step daughter had her first baby 4 years ago and decided that I wouldn't feel that she was safe until she was at least 3 years old. My own daughter (now 25) didn't get to sit in the front of my car till she was 6 or 7 at the insistence of her mother :surrender:

Congrats BTW, like you I thought it'd never happen and became a first (and only) time father at 40.

Pete

Understood thanks Pete and ChrisS.

Now I did always like those c63 mercs! I wish!

Edited by Brayster

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations Brayster

Same thing happened to me. My technique was misdirection and good old bury the head in the sand.

In the end the baby is here and I still have my z.

Baby seat in the front is a no no but then we use her car for transporting our little chap as she's off work for a year.

My advice, make a decision closer to when the maternity leave ends.......

6 years ago when my daughter was born we had my wife's R50 mini as our family car and I kept the zed.

It's only when our 2nd kid arrived 3 yrs later that we outgrew the mini.

There are quite a few prams that fit in the mini boot with the passenger floor and seat available for shopping and bags.

For the odd occasion when it wasn't enough space for a big shop we'd take both cars but this was quite rare.

Now I've 2 kids we bought a suv and I've kept the mini as a 3rd car.

It's an 06 Cooper so not worth much to trade in.

Couple hundred quid to tax.

Now with 2yrs no claims as a 3rd car £250 to insure.

Has been cheap to service.

So for me is well worth keeping in order to have my zed and a 2nd baby carrier.

My kids are now old enough to sit in the zed in front facing seats and both love it.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH I think it sounds like its time to trade in for a GT-R :p.

That's got rear seats no!

I think so long as you have one sensible car that should be fine, just plan whos going to have to go in an emergency with baby and make sure they've got the sensible machine.

Ed

Thank all for advice - I think that I will wait closer to the end of May leave re the z as suggested...Getting a Juke is on the cards still tho as the other half has had the mini for 4 years and it doesn't have bluetooth sat nav etc. in addition to it being a bit bigger/safer we found out she gets to keep her car allowance whilst on mat leave - so that's a bonus we hadn't budgeted for..

I did think about keeping the mini for emergencies - as even tho it is a 57 plate it only has 40k miles on it and is the 1.4 engine so cheap to run.. But I know I'll never use it.

I'd really love a gtr a chap I know at my gym has one. But it has been in the garage for the last 7 mths!!!!!!,,, being fixed ....but that's another story..

Edited by Brayster

I was recently in the same boat. Daughter now 18months old & glad I kept the zed. Problem I have now is that we have recently moved home which is further out of town meaning I can no longer walk to pick my daughter up from nursery if she is sick or the wife's late at work etc & the zed is rendered useless in that scenario. Luckily for me the wife is very understanding as to how much I love my zed & suggested that a good compromise would be to take the zed off the road for winter since the tax ran out on 1st October anyway & get a little run around with back seats. Currently looking for a clean clio 182 as they are a bit of a bargain for how much fun they are & as a bonus are pretty safe :thumbs:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thx coyoteBoy again - you seem to know more about my personal circumstances than I do 😎 I'm starting hope

Little one doesn't arrive with a Scottish accent - but I am afraid ur mistaken

Yep granted some people can cope without a motor but I do "need" a car due to remoteness of where work and the lack of any form of public transport/fast taxi service - should an emergency arise...and how Id transport said little one...it's called forward planning ( like checking ur wipers work work before you drive in the rain)😆

Anyway back to topic in hand .... Initial thoughts on the juke is that it is pretty good a few shared parts to the 370z .... Just needs some new tyres as does my z --££££££

Edited by Brayster

..... My technique was misdirection and good old bury the head in the sand.

is that a euphemism for something :blush:

Trust me I tried that for a while 😆 oh well all sorted now thx for everyone's input

Edited by Brayster