Navdy - Feels like driving in the future...

Adrian@TORQEN

I think it's bad in principle because it validates inappropriate behaviour. I don't want to see gadgets that imply you can safely do things you shouldn't be doing at all. (And I'm not convinced it would be significantly less distracting).

I'm not having a go at your views - we just see this from a different perspective.

Be nice if you read what was written though, all I said was if you think social media isn't going to enter every aspect of life you are very wrong, didn't say for a moment I agree with it in the slightest but never let what is written ever get in the way of making a point ;)

Er. No. You wrote 'Absolutely' indicating that you agreed 'absolutely' with Flex's post. I didn't agree with his post (i.e. that the gadget is a step in the right direction), so I didn't agree with your absolute endorsement of what Flex was saying.

But hey, never let what you've written get in the way of having a little dig ;)

And I love the internet, gadgets, media etc. Just think there's a time and a place...

Edited by sipar69

I gave up trying to do a King Canute a long time ago and just accept "progress" has good, no so good and bad points. For me, (and for many others of similar vintage) the issue is learning how to use new technology and what the various acronyms not only stand for their meaning too! More often than not I find, and I suspect a good proportion of other smartphone users are the same, it is the same when you buy a new washing machine with umpteen programmes and end up using one or two....... :surrender:

It was bad enough learning how to use a slide rule at school (yes, I'm that old) but now computers are 2nd nature to youngsters even my 6 year old grandson puts me to shame :blush: And I have seen Adrian (the OP) at work on computers and it was just mind-blowing how quick and simply he used photoshop and posting on here, so I am not surprised he sees this latest aid to keeping in touch on the move as another useful bit of kit that will help his lifestyle.

So I am afraid those of you who condem the use of gadgets in cars are showing your age..... but will you admit it? Sure, anything to help safe driving I'm 100% in favour and absolutely no excuses for those not using hands-free. But honestly if you get so wound up up about the Navdy I can recall similar concerns about when radios/cassette players were introduced. And then we have drivers who are more concentrating more on animated conversations in cars or turning round to see if little Joey has wet himself - there are a whole host of potential distractions that for me are more dangerous than a gadget to stop what drivers doing what they currently do (we all see the hand texting and phone to the ear going on everyday) and not keeping their eyes on the road.

And how far away are we from driverless cars on the road anyway - God forbid :scare: The thought of a computer driven car on our roads scares the shite out me bigtime as I fail to see how any technology will ever react in the same way as the human brain when something out the ordinary happens and has not been thought about by the programmers.

• Like 1

Er. No. You wrote 'Absolutely' indicating that you agreed 'absolutely' with Flex's post. I didn't agree with his post (i.e. that the gadget is a step in the right direction), so I didn't agree with your absolute endorsement of what Flex was saying.

But hey, never let what you've written get in the way of having a little dig ;)

And I love the internet, gadgets, media etc. Just think there's a time and a place...

Yep and that time and place is everywhere and anytime :lol:

It is a step in the right direction, doesn't mean it is perfect but certainly a step in the right direction

Opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one, and if it isn't yours then it probably stinks ;)

Edited by spursmaddave

I wonder how long it would be before criminals use the tweets/posts from it to aid them in hijackings

Hi mom on the corner of this street in my new Audi

Or how long before you have a tweet blah blah blah and you. Know it says posted by iPhone or what ever, get post by navdy that will stand up well in court for driving with out due care and attention or you have a crash in the same minute you posted bee intresting if insurance pays out

Edited by StevoD

I wonder how long it would be before criminals use the tweets/posts from it to aid them in hijackings

Hi mom on the corner of this street in my new Audi

Or how long before you have a tweet blah blah blah and you. Know it says posted by iPhone or what ever, get post by navdy that will stand up well in court for driving with out due care and attention or you have a crash in the same minute you posted bee intresting if insurance pays out

Same as phone records/texts records in court...

I like the unit in terms of showing nav directions in front of you and showing who is calling you though :thumbs:

I gave up trying to do a King Canute a long time ago and just accept "progress" has good, no so good and bad points. For me, (and for many others of similar vintage) the issue is learning how to use new technology and what the various acronyms not only stand for their meaning too! More often than not I find, and I suspect a good proportion of other smartphone users are the same, it is the same when you buy a new washing machine with umpteen programmes and end up using one or two....... :surrender:

It was bad enough learning how to use a slide rule at school (yes, I'm that old) but now computers are 2nd nature to youngsters even my 6 year old grandson puts me to shame :blush: And I have seen Adrian (the OP) at work on computers and it was just mind-blowing how quick and simply he used photoshop and posting on here, so I am not surprised he sees this latest aid to keeping in touch on the move as another useful bit of kit that will help his lifestyle.

So I am afraid those of you who condem the use of gadgets in cars are showing your age..... but will you admit it? Sure, anything to help safe driving I'm 100% in favour and absolutely no excuses for those not using hands-free. But honestly if you get so wound up up about the Navdy I can recall similar concerns about when radios/cassette players were introduced. And then we have drivers who are more concentrating more on animated conversations in cars or turning round to see if little Joey has wet himself - there are a whole host of potential distractions that for me are more dangerous than a gadget to stop what drivers doing what they currently do (we all see the hand texting and phone to the ear going on everyday) and not keeping their eyes on the road.

And how far away are we from driverless cars on the road anyway - God forbid :scare: The thought of a computer driven car on our roads scares the shite out me bigtime as I fail to see how any technology will ever react in the same way as the human brain when something out the ordinary happens and has not been thought about by the programmers.

Colin, don't ever change, you'll always have my utmost respect.

... I fail to see how any technology will ever react in the same way as the human brain when something out the ordinary happens and has not been thought about by the programmers.

I'd love it if there's a team of geeks churning out a use case for every single conceivable road related event:

Scenario 1 - Pedestrian forgets to look before crossing

Scenario 2 - Car in front slams all on

Scenario 44,765 - A tree is struck by lightning and falls across the road

Scenario 8,125,245 - An extreme sports enthusiast is zorbing on the hillside next to the road and at the bottom of the slope there's a trade show for giant trampolines...

I'm quite excited by the prospect of driverless cars, it'll remove people who have absoletly no interest in driving from driving and the new driver won't get distracted by a girl in a tight dress, or a particularly cute cat, or a billboard advertising a sale at ShopX, or get tired or bored, or re-apply eye liner, or urgently need to tweet that it just saw that-guy-from-that-thing-on-the-TV-last-year walking down the street :lol:

The google driverless cars (I think there's about ten of them on the roads of California at any one point) have done over 700,000 miles accident free. They can "see" in 360 degrees and track hundreds of objects all at once. Sadly it is reported to be extremely capable at spotting cyclists too ;)

thing is driverless cars will ruin the car industry,

Whats the point of a 500 plus super saloon over a little toyota iq when all cars will accelerate brake and do thy same they will be a need for 1 car manufacture

This presupposes that everyone will be mandated to have one. I kinda assumed they'd be optional for people who want to drive themselves?

thing is driverless cars will ruin the car industry,

Whats the point of a 500 plus super saloon over a little toyota iq when all cars will accelerate brake and do thy same they will be a need for 1 car manufacture

This presupposes that everyone will be mandated to have one. I kinda assumed they'd be optional for people who want to drive themselves?

true but i imagine as the number of accident should drop to 0 imagine all 3 lanes on a motorway all being occupied by this car doing 70mph etc with a full family in watching a film there going to be no room to move apart from early morning/night times, as you will only be able to follow there movements which in that case you might aswell have a the same car,e

feel sorry for taxi drivers transport company etc that will all be wiped out

Hate to say it but i recon within 50-75 years humans will be unneeded for employment, as there will be a robot for everything, and the whole economy will collapse

Edited by StevoD

Hate to say it but i recon within 50-75 years humans will be unneeded for employment, as there will be a robot for everything, and the whole economy will collapse

If robots can do every job, why do we need an economy or money?

Can't we just all enjoy living whilst they crack on with the graft?

Coming Spring 2040, Spouse Robot 1.0!!!!!!

Does all requested tasks without question or second guessing.

Never says I told you so.

Never nags.

Never argues.

Satisfies any "personal" request without complaint and with lifelike tongue/skin.

Could drive your car, if we hadn't done away with that in 2033!!!!

:lol:

how you going to pay for food? with no economy

The robots just grow it all, for everyone.

It'll be like Star Trek, team humanity.

so whos going to pay for the robots or the materials to grow food

Edited by StevoD

No economy so no need to pay for them ;)

Robots grow on trees do they

No economy so no need to pay for them ;)

Robots grow on trees do they

Yep special robot trees ;)

The first robots build the robot trees....