Tell me I'll be making a big mistake (Alfa 159)

Wasso

Don't worry project C6 isn't going anywhere but now that I've relocated I'm now going to be doing a lot of motorway miles.

Always wanted to own an Alfa and the 159 2.4 Diesel is catching my eye.

Yes I know if the historic problems of the Alfa but reading current reviews on Autotrader the issues are very minimal.

Costs are high for parts, consumption isn't the greatest.

Give me reasons from experience if possible to help me take the plunge.

In looking at cars which are around 2007 60-80k miles.

Discuss and recommend :)

Edited by Wasso

How about a Nissan Juke ?. I purchased a new Nismo couple of months back and love it. The standard Juke is a decent vehicle too and something different and will keep you in a Jap car...

You don't want to spend 5K @ first, how much do you want to spend when it brakes :lol:

My old manager had the diesel and had so much bother with it. He broke down on the way to the garage :lol:

He absolute loved it and was looking at another alfa when he was changing it... Having never owned an Alfa I can't understand that but there must be some good points of owning it clearly.

• Like 1

Hate beemers!

I don't want to be brushed with their poor driving skills!

I daily have a Beemer up my arse thinking he's better than everyone else on the road. Undercutting, tapping brakes every second and generally don't give a @*!# about other road users.

I'd rather stick a cone on my head and ride a penny farthing to work.

Okay any more suggestions - apart from Grundys contributions :lol:

• Like 1

Get one, great looking saloon... I was looking for a Brera Prodrive till I bought my Zed on a whim...yes it will go wrong at some point, think the power steering reservoir is one issue and dpf if fitted..later ones were better but prices jump up from the earlier ones.....or get a Brera.. :)

Get one, great looking saloon... I was looking for a Brera Prodrive till I bought my Zed on a whim...yes it will go wrong at some point, think the power steering reservoir is one issue and dpf if fitted..later ones were better but prices jump up from the earlier ones.....or get a Brera.. :)

I'll be doing 160 miles a day. So it needs to be reasonably economical. I liked the Brera when it first came out, but just feel the back end is a bit of a mess.

Diesel Civic? Pretty bullet proof, good turn of speed (always remember Ricky on here keeping up well in one on the 2008 Scottish hoon when his ZED was run over just as he left home to join us), and reliable as they come.

• Like 1

I'll be doing 160 miles a day. So it needs to be reasonably economical. I liked the Brera when it first came out, but just feel the back end is a bit of a mess.

Yes it is a bit Mr Blobby on the back end.....
  • Like 1

Just been reading up on the UK Alfa forum, especially with the "New Buyer Guide".

Interesting that there's not a wealth of moaning, or huge list of issues. In fact I'd say there's less issues than the Zed, which are likely to cause issue.

Every car has issues, and so far I'm not seeing a red flag.......

Diesel Civic? Pretty bullet proof, good turn of speed (always remember Ricky on here keeping up well in one on the 2008 Scottish hoon when his ZED was run over just as he left home to join us), and reliable as they come.

Colin it's a Honda...... I'm not aged over 60 (yet). Also they're a bit Ford Focus for me, too many on the road. I'd still like to retain "some" dignity from using a daily chugger.

@ Dan - Oh dear...... not good. Been reading the 2.4 is a little more reliable, the one I'll be placing my interest in.

Oh :(

:console:

Have to say I'm with Colin, a diesel CIvic is about as reliable as you're likely to find for reasonable money, so I'd suck up the image and drive that knowing I had something special waiting. You don't want to be getting something that gives you no end of trouble.

Have to say I'm with Colin, a diesel CIvic is about as reliable as you're likely to find for reasonable money, so I'd suck up the image and drive that knowing I had something special waiting. You don't want to be getting something that gives you no end of trouble.

But I'm not seeing long lists of bad reviews, along with pretty detailed buyers guide for known issues.

Nothing more issues than a Zed that I can see.

Engine fail in the Zed, wrong fuel. Window motors, Clicky Axle, Lower Compression Arm bushes, Exhaust among a number of other smaller issues.

Gonna try and see what happens.

I couldn't do a Civic sorry, I'd feel deprived in my life.

I was looking at the c270d merc. But then thought about parts.

The Alfa is hitting a certain need for my requirements. Good looking, sporty(ish) nice interior etc.

I can attention all of the suspect parts on purchase and get bushes sorted which is a known issue with the front wheels eating tyres.

All cars have changed..... I don't think Alfa are as bad as they were.

Edited by Wasso

I was feeling confident about the 159 until you started this thread :lol:

Sorry, get one, I will :lol: we can share issues, if any?

For a car that will be 7 years old there's to be expected issues. Hopefully nothing major, but like any car open minded expectations of things to fix. No car is bullet proof?