New car idea's

AJRFulton

Unfortunately I've reached the point with the 370Z where I've lost faith in the car. I bought the car brand new last year, and in 18mths of ownership it has spent 2mths off the road, which frankly is totally unacceptable.

Now I love the car, love how it looks, love how it drives..... but.... it's one problem after another, and tbh it's been the most problematic car I've owned.

However, here is the problem.... I'm void of inspiration on what to get to replace the Z.

The 370Z is a very rare car, and that is something I really liked about it, that and the fact people looked at it. This in mind I'm finding it hard to get excited at browsing around for new cars, because unless I spend a lot of money - I'm never going to get that head turn factor again.

Part of the problem is I don't know what I want. Do I want a comfortable car, sports car... I dunno.

My only rule is it has to be under 4yrs old and of the current model shape. I'm happy to pay up to £500pcm with a £7k deposit. The running costs also should exceed that of the Z by too much. I do 20K miles a year and the car will be my daily driver. I'm also not keen on going Japanese again.

I've been looking at M class Mercs, XK-R's, GT-R's, RS5's, but... whether it be price, running costs, etc... somethings made me baulk.

Inspire me people.

It won't help you to say this but I think you've been very unlucky. In five years and three 370s I've had no problems at all (although I don't do a lot of miles). I'm not a huge fan but perhaps for your purposes one of the BMW M cars. I'm assuming you could get a decent second hand deal for the money you've suggested. I'm quite partial to the later model SLK 55 AMGs as well but I'm not sure you could get one for that money. Shame you'll be saying goodbye to the 370 but if you've not fallen in love best to move on :)

If I was going for something non Z now it would (and probably will next time) be a Lotus Evora. I know everyone says Lotus's are unreliable but from the research I've done it's a pretty reliable car (perhaps not ideal as a motorway daily driver though).

Edited by sipar69

Some of them have four seats meaning you get a bit of extra space for luggage. They vary widely in terms of price but the non supercharged version can be had for reasonable money and it's still quick. I love Evoras and am definitely considering one when it's time for a change.

Edit - Oops I see I just repeated what Ekona said about seats (just be aware that they're not all four seat).

Edited by sipar69

Yeah, most people bought the 2+2 because they thought that's what the market would want after they got rid of it, but really you wouldn't want to sit in those seats for too long :lol: I'd search out a good 2+0 if it were me, but there's not really much difference in terms of usable space between the two.

As Ekona says, best to go for a MY2012 onwards as they apparently have the better quality interiors.

Reasonable money....

http://www.autotrade...dcars?logcode=p

Silly money (but droool!) I saw one in this colour on the M3 recently - looked like a proper super car. Absolutely stunning.

http://www.autotrade.../1500?logcode=p

Edited by sipar69

I know i'm probably going to get crucified for saying this but I think a lot of cars today are a little boring or at least aesthetically. The usual euro box humming down the road, oh look another BMW, Audi, BMW, Audi, Renault, Vauxhall, BMW, Audi :yawn: depends what floats your boat. Why not something retro cool? Or something that really caught my eye recently that I really liked that isn't retro cool perhaps more up your street in respect to "under 4 years old" the AMG A45 Merc. That thing is ballistic. 50k I know but wow, looks good and definitely means business.

Not just the interior, there was a lot of mechanical fixes as well, not least of all sorting out the dreadful gearshift of some of the early cars. Stirring a bucket of bricks doesn't really come close!

Was only on the odd car though to be fair, but you'd have to drive it to know (i.e. you wouldn't know by when it was made, or serial number). Ah, the benefits of a car made in a shed in Norfolk! :lol:

...the AMG A45 Merc. That thing is ballistic. 50k I know but wow, looks good and definitely means business.

£50K today, £30K by Xmas, £10K by next year. If usual AMG depreciation is to be followed of course! ;)

On a different note, could you not run two cars? One is the boring cheapy DD that does the miles, the other is the fun car for weekends? That way you could run something more compromised for the toy.

...the AMG A45 Merc. That thing is ballistic. 50k I know but wow, looks good and definitely means business.

£50K today, £30K by Xmas, £10K by next year. If usual AMG depreciation is to be followed of course! ;)

On a different note, could you not run two cars? One is the boring cheapy DD that does the miles, the other is the fun car for weekends? That way you could run something more compromised for the toy.

Not really feasable. Since November I've been home less than 20 days.

Not sure how much the 370 costs to maintain, but the GTR would fit the bill for most of that - not sure about 20k a year though. I have had mine a little over 3 years, but its a second/third car for me and I am happy to leave it with my mechanic for 2-4 weeks at a time. Its great on the motorway, lots of space, etc.

The issue would be Nissan again.... I refuse to use Nissan, unless I absolutely have to! They are also not the best at being speedy to correct an issue.... when my bellhousing became a problem, they want to take the car apart, check the part send notification to Nissan, wait for approval of warranty, order the part and then fit when they had time. All in, they said 6 weeks........ Sly did the work in less than 6 hours and ordered the parts 2 days before.

How many dealers are going to be any better than that? I seriously doubt that Merc would be. I tested the C63 AMG and loved the noise, didnt like much else (seating position was weird, handbrake is very weird and its just a standard car with a v8).

My missus had a Range Rover from new and it was back with them every 3-4 weeks and they were utterly useless!!! I think its more the service of the dealer than the car!

With that in mind, my recommendation is 2x GTR :D 1 to use, 1 to have serviced :D

• Like 1