manual VS automatic

polfa

im hunting for a 350z and seen some really nice automatic versions, i just wondered if anyone can give me some feedback on auto version? i know it will be a tiny bit slower in corners as you wont be able to pop it to the right gear but is it that much of a difference? in a sraight line i supposed it would be a bit faster woulndt it? and what about manitenance?

If you're a manual driver, hold out for the right one. There's nothing WRONG with an automatic 350z, but I think you might regret not waiting a few months down the line if you actually really want a manual.

I know it's tough to hold out, but it will be worth it. The manual box is amazing IMO :)

thanks for moving it

and yea im manual all the way especially with performance cars i had (rx7,wrx) but just wondered...is there that much difference?

Not really performance wise, but if you're a manual guy there's a huge difference enjoyment wise. The Z gearbox is amazing in manual form, really nice and notchy. The Automatic is, well.... automatic! :lol:

It's harder to redline an auto, wait for a manual!! ;)

Whats a "red line"...??? :lol: :lol:

I don't know but I've heard rumours about it ;)

It's not really a Red lion it's just a sun burnt ordinary lion :)

• Like 2

It's harder to redline an auto, wait for a manual!! ;)

Whats a "red line"...??? :lol: :lol:

I don't know but I've heard rumours about it ;)

It's not really a Red lion it's just a sun burnt ordinary lion :)

I'll be popping into The Red Lion in a while.... :lol: :lol:

I own a Fairlady (Auto) and can say that it is the smoothest drive I've ever experienced. I understand people's opinion for the manual version but I wouldn't change. Loads of torque and such an easy drive, it sounds great skipping thru the gears with a little bit of pedal :)

Edited by jamess115

As I've said before, I've got both and the auto gets my vote. It is a superb gearbox and the car is a lot easier to drive fast than the manual. It's also got a sport button so it will hold the gear if that's your thing and a winter setting - which is apparently a bit scary, but it haven't had to weather a winter yet! The manual gearbox on the other hand isn't the best I've ever driven to be honest - easy to mess up gear changes on the upper gate (3/5).

• Like 1

I also have both and I think the manual is by far the better. Don't make the same mistake I did and buy an auto, because you full well know in a few months you'll want an manual.

Don't get me wrong the auto box is really good, probably one of the best automatic Japanese cars going, but, it's not a manual

I find it a much more involving drive with a manual, but that's just me. Auto is smooth and no worries in traffic/town but I would always miss not being in complete control. Plus I would miss blipping the throttle to rev match manual changes.

Its interesting that irrespective of the "whats best" in driving terms, both the 350 and 370 auto boxes do not seem to have any reported weaknesses, unlike the manual boxes..........unless someone knows otherwise?

Being controversial - I think people who think that 'they can do better' are deluding themselves.

I am a mature and relatively skilled driver, but I still occasionally crunch gears, select the wrong gate (the wife's always complaining about that one) or fail to shift at the optimum time.

With an auto - no such problems. Yes, okay a manual could perhaps gain the upper hand on a track or if there was any competitive element to the driving but for 97.5% of my life I'd be pleased to let my tartan slippered right foot do all the work and for my left hand to be available for either nasal decluttering, handling my oversize Starbucks or my pipe.

I can understand the convention that a sportscar should be manual but when you look at most of the serious machinery these days: Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, even the Nissan GTR - they are in the main, autos. QED.

• Like 2

Being controversial - I think people who think that 'they can do better' are deluding themselves.

I am a mature and relatively skilled driver, but I still occasionally crunch gears, select the wrong gate (the wife's always complaining about that one) or fail to shift at the optimum time.

With an auto - no such problems. Yes, okay a manual could perhaps gain the upper hand on a track or if there was any competitive element to the driving but for 97.5% of my life I'd be pleased to let my tartan slippered right foot do all the work and for my left hand to be available for either nasal decluttering, handling my oversize Starbucks or my pipe.

I can understand the convention that a sportscar should be manual but when you look at most of the serious machinery these days: Aston Martin, Ferrari, Bentley, Lamborghini, even the Nissan GTR - they are in the main, autos. QED.

+1 for this.

I absolutely love the auto box in the Z, it really suits the car and the torque of the engine.

My previous fun car was a E46 M3 with SMG II and I much prefer the box in the Z!

Also it was a previso in getting a 3rd car with the wife so she can drive it :lol:

The M3 forum was always full of members arguing which was best.

For all this though the only option really is for you to drive both and ignore other peoples opinions.

• Like 1

In the final analysis - you need to bear in mind saleability.

If you think that you will be in and out of the Z in 12 months, buy the manual - as there is a much bigger market for them.

But, If you are thinking that you will keep it for a few years - it wont really matter.

Also, bear in in that the auto does have tiptronic - but not on the steering wheel - if you really want to hear downshifts!

Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? You can't be a skilled driver AND crunch gears? They're the total opposite of each other.

I've never crunched a gear in the Z and I wouldn't call myself a skilled driver by any means. I've had no advanced training, the Z is one of the most "exotic" manual cars I've ever driven and the box has never caused me any issues at all :shrug:

• Like 2

Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? You can't be a skilled driver AND crunch gears? They're the total opposite of each other.

I've never crunched a gear in the Z and I wouldn't call myself a skilled driver by any means. I've had no advanced training, the Z is one of the most "exotic" manual cars I've ever driven and the box has never caused me any issues at all :shrug:

Stop being a cocky idiot.

• Like 2