Tree sap

Richy

How do I get rid of tree sap that has been baked on ? Fortunately it is not on my Z but my daughters Alfa. The Alfa was mine for 16 years so still attached to it. :)

Tried tar remover, bug remover, WD40 and white spirit. My fingers are rubbed to the bone, and I think I might have got a little high on the cocktail of liquids. :headhurt:

Please help I am desperate.

Jetset has the same problem on a Clio of his daughters. Clay was the only thing that got it off.

Having also detailed Jetset and Caroline's zed's I'm also going to say that claybar is the only thing that will remove it as they both park under a row of conifers! There was more sap than car!

Clay bar as above. :thumbs:

DONT use the following it will severely damage the paint. :surrender:

Tried tar remover, bug remover, WD40 and white spirit.

not sure I'd like to get WD40 on my paint (god knows what miracle stuff is in that), but there's certainly nothing wrong with the other stuff

Clay bar as above. :thumbs:

DONT use the following it will severely damage the paint. :surrender:

Tried tar remover, bug remover, WD40 and white spirit.

not sure I'd like to get WD40 on my paint (god knows what miracle stuff is in that), but there's certainly nothing wrong with the other stuff

Mentholated Spirit no problem, but White Spirit is paint remover. :surrender:

I sprayed my petrol cap release pin with WD40 and some got on the paintwork

and it took me ages to try and polish out the stain on the paint. :surrender:

Anyway just saying, I wouldn't use them, but different strokes for different folk..!! :blush:

White spirit is a paint thinner (and I believe is an ingredient in some car wax?), you will have a hardened coat of lacquer on your cars paint, as long as you use a small amount and rinse within a few minutes I have found its absolutely fine.

There have been some favourable reviews on the clay mitts recently on here (do a searchy) if you want a more beginners introduction to clay bar work.

It isnt as bad as you think using the bars, just make sure you keep the surface well covered in lubrication to prevent any marring. Once you do one panel and run your finger tips over it you will wonder why you never did it before, the difference is huge.

• Like 1

Just as a follow up, the car is covered is swirls. I assume I use the swirl remover after the clay bar ? Do I then need to wash the car again, or can I go straight to the paint cleaner, polish and wax.

I have all the gear but no idea. :)

There are some much more knowledgeable people than me on here but I would suggest a detox shampoo then clay bar - wash with normal shampoo - for the swirl marks, you may need to machine polish (Megs Ultimate Compound is good for this) - then wax and seal.

• Like 1

Just as a follow up, the car is covered is swirls. I assume I use the swirl remover after the clay bar ? Do I then need to wash the car again, or can I go straight to the paint cleaner, polish and wax.

I have all the gear but no idea. :)

You'll need a cutting compound to remove the swirls, or something with fillers in to hide them. If you're machine polishing you should be able to remove all of the swirls (depending on the depth of both swirls and paint, of course) so you should be okay with just the compound. If you're working by hand you might struggle to get 100% perfect, so I'd recommend using a compound to remove what you can and fillers to mask the remainders.

If you're polishing there's no real need to re-wash, certainly after claying, but there's no harm in it if you want to be thorough - you can go straight onto the next stage though. Incidentally, polish first, then paint cleaner though. ;)

Clayed the car, and the bodywork is like glass, except for the tree sap. :angry: Claying was easy, though I am glad I had my first go on 16 year old car, rather than my 4 month old Z. Amazed at the finish, but now need to find something stronger to get rid of the sap. Weakened nail varnish remover ? It worked on the windows but not so sure about the paint.

The car is covered in swirls, and without a machine polisher I think I am in for some hard manual polishing. :yuck:

Once the outside is finished I need to start on the inside. Plenty of hoovering, and leather seats to treat, but the worst job will be getting all the white marks off the black plastics. It seems that my daughter gets make up on her hands, and then everything she touches stains white. Hoping a good wash down will solve the problem, but I might be back for more advice. :)

Try a courser clay bar - you may have to go aggressive if the sap has been baked on and you might still need to give it multiple hits too. You could try either hot water or a hair drier to heat the sap up first, which should loosen it somewhat, just be careful not to burn the paint if you're using heat though. Don't use the clay on the hot panel though, you'll just make more of a mess. :lol:

The interior marks, if a diluted APC (all purpose cleaner) doesn't shift them, give them a wipe with a "magic sponge" (but only on the plastics, not on any leather or soft touch stuff).

• Like 1

Did you solve this? If not I highly recommend the g3 clay mitt (handily available from halfords). Just make an extra soapy bucket of a ph neautral car shampoo such as angelwax or Mainz passion and then begin to stroke over the paint using the mitt dipping into the solution every few seconds.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tree Sap is actually Aphid droppings, sometimes known as honeydew. These aphids suck the sap out of the leaves then poo on your car. From experience, Lime trees are the worst (aphids just love them) but all trees and bushes will have aphids in them. As Ricey has said our cars were covered in sap but not as first thought from the conifers. I think the conifers just shed the tips of the needles which then got glued to the car by sap that the aphids dropped from the oak and Black poplar trees also in the vicinity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeydew_(secretion) . Link not working, final bracket needs to be added manually for some strange reason.

Pete

Edited by JetSet
  • Like 1

All the sap off at last. I found that the sap was easier to get off in full sun with the car almost boiling. :scare:

The inside looks great, no make up stains. :) I used some Poorboys cleaner which was brilliant. Brought up the dashboard as new, and also did all the rubbers, plastics and bumbers. Read on here how good the stuff is, and it even smells like bakewell tarts. :p

Glad you got it sorted - I have to park my car under a 25m scots pine and tree sap is a problem for me.

On paintwork I use Tardis - a good solvent to have in your armoury for a number of tasks esp number plate double sided tape.

I just dab the sap, leave it 2 mins, rub off and then wipe over with a cloth and a soapy water mist (from a spray bottle) to remove the solvent.

It's a bit more awkward on the roadster hood as it rots the vinyl if you leave it on - as I found out!