Which 10k Hot Hatch?

Stutopia

A mate of mine has just given up his BMW company car and is in the market for a hot hatch. He's not a pterol head but enjoys a drive. He's after something with a bit of personality, on the list so far.

Mazda 3 MPS

Seat Leon Cupra

Focus ST2 / ST3

He's decided against a Golf R32/GTI as they don't rev his engine. He probably won't go Honda as his previous Civic was a bit of a money pit. Any suggestion appreciated, especially if you can give some idea of things to watch for when buying.

Thanks

Stu

Not too clued up on hit hatches but iv heard good things about the mps and the cupra- love the btcc kit on them

Never been a focus fan even in ST guise, never done it for me

How about an S3? Always liked the look of them, they look sporty but a bit more grown up than others in contrast to the boy racer btcc leons (which I also like :lol: )

They'll have that bit more quality too

Audi S3 is a good shout LRF4N. B)

Out of the choices you listed Stu I'd say the Focus ST2/3 ~ was behind one the other day who kept putting his foot down between traffic light sets and it sounded fantastic with whatever exhaust set up this guy had. ;)

Not sure about an s3 but I bought my wife an a3 and that was fine with an indy

4 wheel drive, a v6 and a better quality interior make it hard to look past

Iv never been a hot hatch kind of guy but I wouldn't say no to an s3

Renault Clio 200? Granted a bit smaller and less powerful than the others, but a very capable and fun car with bags of personality... and well under budget.

Edit: Not the new turbo one, the previous model.

Edited by Paddy78
  • Like 1

I'm hoping to nail down a top 3 and queue up some test drives with him. If we turn up in the Zed, they'll know we mean business ;)

He's veteod a Scooby, not sure why :shrug:. Current running order.

Audi S3

Mazda3 MPS

Focus ST2/3

Seat Leon Cupra

Edited by SuperStu

I had an '07 Focus ST-2 before the 370z. Brilliant car to drive - no problems in 6 years of ownership, great handling, awesome engine (in fact, one of the main reasons I got it was the fact a 2.5L five cylinder engine was a bit out of the ordinary in a hatch and, to me, that enhanced the character).

Pretty thirsty though - averaged about 26-27mpg, which is only slightly better than I get now.

• Like 1

Mazda MPS

Was looking at these pocket rockets a while ago, not as common as the others and look awesome in White

You got any bits for them, let's see if we can get him hooked on modding :lol:

Edited by SuperStu