Engine rebuild

Yellowgt4

Any other thoughts/advice guys?

If you're thinking of having an engine rebuild rather than buying a second hand motor like I linked then one person to speak to that springs to my mind is Keyser.

Here is his build thread; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52481-project-zee-business-update-25th-july/

I'm sure he could give you a few pointers. :thumbs:

If you're thinking of having an engine rebuild rather than buying a second hand motor like I linked then one person to speak to that springs to my mind is Keyser.

Here is his build thread; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/52481-project-zee-business-update-25th-july/

That engine is gone mate. Spoke to a nice chap at Clark.

That rebuild thread is 80 pages long 😱!! I'd like to supercharge and forge the engine but that's a whole new territory!!

Here is his build thread; http://www.350z-uk.c...date-25th-july/

Me?? I know nothing :)

It's a tough one to answer -

If your not going to to something silly like a 2JZ or LSx engine swap don't change the engine as Alex (who has more experience than me) has said it is not cost effective and you get very little gain (yes the HR has more poke on paper)

As to new engine or rebuild, cheapest option (especially if like me you have the facilities and mates) is an engine swap. Always a chance you will get a bad motor though - as Luke did a while back :scare:

Go to a reputable source and you should be OK on that one though.

Engine rebuild - will cost more even if you do it yourself but you should have an "as new" engine when finished - forged internals etc a great idea but you need a good idea of where your going, if your adding a turbo later you want lower comp pistons etc for an SC build maybe slightly lower than stock but you can stay at stock ratio if you want just run lower boost.

I'm going to be looking at something on Mrs K's roadster soon as that uses oil so gonna have to do one or the other myself, although I do have 3 spare (broken) engines to rebuild if I go that way :)

Good luck whatever you decide mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Me?? I know nothing :)

It's a tough one to answer -

If your not going to to something silly like a 2JZ or LSx engine swap don't change the engine as Alex (who has more experience than me) has said it is not cost effective and you get very little gain (yes the HR has more poke on paper)

As to new engine or rebuild, cheapest option (especially if like me you have the facilities and mates) is an engine swap. Always a chance you will get a bad motor though - as Luke did a while back :scare:

Go to a reputable source and you should be OK on that one though.

Engine rebuild - will cost more even if you do it yourself but you should have an "as new" engine when finished - forged internals etc a great idea but you need a good idea of where your going, if your adding a turbo later you want lower comp pistons etc for an SC build maybe slightly lower than stock but you can stay at stock ratio if you want just run lower boost.

I'm going to be looking at something on Mrs K's roadster soon as that uses oil so gonna have to do one or the other myself, although I do have 3 spare (broken) engines to rebuild if I go that way :)

Good luck whatever you decide mate :thumbs:

Abbey quoted roughly £4k for a rebuild including parts. If I was rebuilding I definitely will be going down the forged route. But it would be 11.0 compression, as I'll be keeping it na. What will I need to do to the block? Am I as well to get oversized pistons or just stay standard? The rebuild kit from z1 would be about £2k plus customs. I was thinking of getting the cosworth or kinetix plenum plus stage 1 or 2 cams. If I could get all that for under £5k with me and my mate doing the labour I'd be a happy chap

If the block is good - minimum is a hone probably have it re-bored +.5 to 96mm (thats what I had)

Not sure what kit you were looking at from Z1 but pistons and rings as well as rods etc can be sourced fairly easily. You will want ARP bolts and something like ACL bearings.

Get the crank balanced while you are at it.

Cams will help an N/A build, your gonna need to add an uprev licence and some dyno time in to keep it all running sweet.

Simon had some cams and pistons up for sale a while ago - dunno if they are still there ??

Cosworth plenum is :cloud9: but looses power on an N/A build so look at the Kinetix, APS tall boy or just a spacer.

You should be close to getting it in on a £5k budget if your doing the labour yourself.

To help you with the cost of your build, if you decide to go that route, I have some piston sets in stock, complete with rings, pins and lockers.

1 x new Arias complete forged piston set, rings, pins and lockers.

1 x pre-owned Cosworth complete forged piston set, rings, pins and lockers.

The Cosworth set have only done less than 1000 miles which were mostly running in miles and were replaced for custom made Wossner pistons.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)

If your not going to do something silly like a 2JZ or LSx engine swap

Silly? You mean logical :teeth:

• Like 1

To help you with the cost of your build, if you decide to go that route, I have some piston sets in stock, complete with rings, pins and lockers.

1 x new Arias complete forged piston set, rings, pins and lockers.

1 x pre-owned Cosworth complete forged piston set, rings, pins and lockers.

The Cosworth set have only done less than 1000 miles which were mostly running in miles and were replaced for custom made Wossner pistons.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)

you have PM