370Z Nismo

WINKJ

Totally with you on the MPSSs in general. Great tyres. And with you on the chasis. It's probably the most significant improvement over the standard 370 - very flat and poised on the bends.

I posted a review of my exhaust upgrade which may be of interest if you've not seen it already.

http://www.350z-uk.c...llen-treatment/

Know what you mean about attention - it keeps coming :)

Already put a deposit on gumpy's Cobra, that Nismo POS is coming straight off! Was tossing up HFCs or Decats and erring towards the latter. Might also be thinking about some induction mods (don't care if a lose a few horses).

Any CEL issues with your stillen / hfc combo?

I had the CEL come on just once about two or three months ago. Diagnosed and cleared it with a ten quid dongle and free Ipad app and its not come back since.

Thanks Sipar, I though this kind of exhaust alteration required some kind of uprev remap to properly implement but it appears as though you've found a workaround. I'd be grateful if you could share more details with me on this.

Furthermore I was also think about decatting completely and also adding some k&n intakes. I'm guessing this might be harder for the engine mgmt system to deal with Rahther than hfc+cbe?

No problem. You may have seen from other threads that there are mixed views on the value of Uprev on the 370s. Most people seem to think it is worth doing but I had one on my previous 370 and really could not feel a significant benefit. I believe GMan also isn't a fan.

I wouldn't say I'd found a workaround as such - just not had a problem save the one isolated incident with the CEL light.

I did my mod solely for the sound benefit and I couldn't be happier on that score. Performance wise, the car feels the same. It may be that an uprev would give you a few more HP and improve throttle response but based on my previous experiences I'm not willing to fork out £400+ to find out. The car feels plenty quick enough to me.

I'm not an expert on decats but don't they create MOT issues?

One final thing, Im not sure that all 370 aftermarket exhausts fit perfectly to the underside of the Nismo. My Stillen required a fairly straightforward workaround to get the tips to line up straight. I believe one of the hanger brackets on the car may be in a slightly different position on the Nismo. Shouldn't be too hard to resolve though if you do have a similar issue with the Cobra.

Edited by sipar69

If you take out the CAT's your car will not pass the emissions test come MOT time.

Unless you pay a garage off to get it through.

HFC's are designed to get you through the MOT emissions test at the very minimum.

I'd not bother changing them out unless you're after every single db and are chasing HP figures for the pub, it's not worth the hassle or cost in my opinion.

Well the main benefit to my 350 was the improvement in throttle response. Now unless the weak link in the Nismo’s chain is a 50kg flywheel I’d say it needs throttle de-limiting more than ever - it’s so depressingly lazy. I guess there’s no guarantee that Abbey’s remap will be any more accurate than nissan’s but I’m really not bothered about horsepower because it has enough of that. I’m speaking to them about options and both the dealers and Gumpy have confirmed that the Cobra will fit snugly underneath the 370 chassis.

Decatting is not a problem – the car won’t need an MOT for another two years and I have a friendly mechanic who cares even less about trees than I do J . Main issue is whether it will push the car too far the other way and make it unbearably noisy. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Berks on my 350z though, they add a wonderful sense of theatre.

Need to figure out induction options too. Has anyone fitted CAIs / pop chargers, or just made do with boring old panel filters?

I think it must just be my lack of driving experience (I took my test fairly late in life) that means I don't notice all of these things that are niggling you. :wacko:

I've been grinning from ear to ear about my Nismo since the day I picked it up a year ago. With the exception of the exhaust the only thing that bothers me (I'm a bit OCD) is the way the cloth seats pick up fluff! :lol:

As sipar69 said, I'm not a great fan of Uprev, nor Berks HFC's if I'm honest.

I had Berks, Akropovic Evolution exhaust and threw in a couple of Cosworth filters on my last 370 before Uprev. When it was first done, yeah sort of felt, what I thought was a big difference, throttle may have had a bit more response, sound it made was awesome though.

Then I started getting CEL's, after a good 10k miles or so, had it reset then it would come up again. Could have been the O2 sensor?, I don't really know, but there's been a few owners that have had it with HFC's fitted.

It put me off them to be honest. Funnily enough, when I returned the car to stock, that felt much better and just as responsive as when I first had the Uprev. Again, I don't know whether it was me getting used to the 'new' found responsiveness after Uprev but, it definitely felt less responsive after a while.

When I dropped the old 370 off to pick up my Nismo, it just felt, well, a different class. Not that I thrashed it straight out the packet but, definitely more responsive (small bit of torque, extra few HP? Placebo?, don't know really, it just was).

It was RS Tuning in Leeds that Upreved mine, not Abbey, I suspect that they don't run the same packages, but they run the same cost!

For me, Upreved on reflection is a bit meh, if I were to put HFC's in, they wouldn't be Berks, would try something different, exhaust, as much as I've persevered with the Nismo unit, needs changing, there is a bit more noise as it gets the miles on and you get very warm, but, I'll admit, needs done. That should be sorted soonish, do I get HFC's? TBC

I definitely wouldn't get any form of induction, especially if it was just for a bit more noise, get one of them Armytrix exhausts, that would be noise enough :)

I had Berks, Akropovic Evolution exhaust and threw in a couple of Cosworth filters on my last 370 before Uprev. When it was first done, yeah sort of felt, what I thought was a big difference, throttle may have had a bit more response, sound it made was awesome though.

Then I started getting CEL's, after a good 10k miles or so, had it reset then it would come up again. Could have been the O2 sensor?, I don't really know, but there's been a few owners that have had it with HFC's fitted.

It put me off them to be honest. Funnily enough, when I returned the car to stock, that felt much better and just as responsive as when I first had the Uprev. Again, I don't know whether it was me getting used to the 'new' found responsiveness after Uprev but, it definitely felt less responsive after a while.

When I dropped the old 370 off to pick up my Nismo, it just felt, well, a different class. Not that I thrashed it straight out the packet but, definitely more responsive (small bit of torque, extra few HP? Placebo?, don't know really, it just was).

It was RS Tuning in Leeds that Upreved mine, not Abbey, I suspect that they don't run the same packages, but they run the same cost!

For me, Upreved on reflection is a bit meh, if I were to put HFC's in, they wouldn't be Berks, would try something different, exhaust, as much as I've persevered with the Nismo unit, needs changing, there is a bit more noise as it gets the miles on and you get very warm, but, I'll admit, needs done. That should be sorted soonish, do I get HFC's? TBC

I would just change the system - well I have... And I am doing it again in Saturday. I have a stillen and moving back to my old friend cobra. - which I loved on my 350.

I have alllllleays been put off with decat/HFC due to the CELs and other things that change when changing those components

I know mine isn't Nismo, but to comment on the CEL's or lack of them in my case - I have a full Berks system including the Berks HFC's ........ and no CEL's ever (he says firmly planting fist on wood)

• Like 2

I know mine isn't Nismo, but to comment on the CEL's or lack of them in my case - I have a full Berks system including the Berks HFC's ........ and no CEL's ever (he says firmly planting fist on wood)

I'm risk overse ok..... :) haha

I would just change the system - well I have... And I am doing it again in Saturday. I have a stillen and moving back to my old friend cobra. - which I loved on my 350.

I have alllllleays been put off with decat/HFC due to the CELs and other things that change when changing those components

So you're saying the real "sonic choke" in the exhaust is not the cats but the silencers in the backbox? So I should just stick a cobra and panel filters in there and be done with it?

Have to admit that I loved the rasp of the HFCs on my 350z...

I don't think it's because they're all the same make but, when I change my exhaust and, if I'm still not happy with the sound, I may consider HFC's again, just not Berks, but follow on with your thinking, it may well have to be the same manufacturer.

You probably haven't got a CEL because of them darned good Cosworths I gave you, which you cleaned, made all the difference ;)

• Like 1

Unlike the 350's, the 370's ECU's retain the bhp gains after exhaust changes etc without the uprev.

Personally, I found the uprev improved the driveability/responsiveness or whatever you choose to call it. As others have said before it's difficult to describe the 'feel' but if you enjoy using the full rev range that is where it comes into its own. But if you are someone that does not explore the full revs too often then it may be a waste of money.

Oh, and it improved the mpg - not by any great amount but for me it was by about 3mpg cruising on the motorways, when I got bored and monitored the consumption. :lol:

I definitely wouldn't get any form of induction, especially if it was just for a bit more noise, get one of them Armytrix exhausts, that would be noise enough :)

Interesting points, particularly on induction. At £460 the K&N is a bit flipping toppy as well. Might just do the panels but I'm not even sure if they add any real value (apart from being non-disposable / washable).

I don't think it's because they're all the same make but, when I change my exhaust and, if I'm still not happy with the sound, I may consider HFC's again, just not Berks, but follow on with your thinking, it may well have to be the same manufacturer.

You probably haven't got a CEL because of them darned good Cosworths I gave you, which you cleaned, made all the difference ;)

removing them thar scottish midges made all the difference :teeth::lol:

• Like 1

Interesting points, particularly on induction. At £460 the K&N is a bit flipping toppy as well. Might just do the panels but I'm not even sure if they add any real value (apart from being non-disposable / washable).

The only reason I changed the panels was on advice for the least restrictive airflow to go with the Berk/Akro combination prior to Uprev, the advice was from a more than just a knowledgeable member, but from someone whom I consider has some expertise, ZMANALEX, who's my dad BTW :) ( he won't mind me saying that)

Have no idea if it gave me that extra gazillion HP or not but I took the advice and for not much money, got them, then gave them away doh!

• Like 1

The only reason I changed the panels was on advice for the least restrictive airflow to go with the Berk/Akro combination prior to Uprev, the advice was from a more than just a knowledgeable member, but from someone whom I consider has some expertise, ZMANALEX, who's my dad BTW :) ( he won't mind me saying that)

Have no idea if it gave me that extra gazillion HP or not but I took the advice and for not much money, got them, then gave them away doh!

Wait wait wait.... Zmanalex is your dad gman ?????? Well I never. That must make you jesus!

Edited by WINKJ

Wait wait wait.... Zmanalex is your dad gman ?????? Well I never. That must make you jesus!

No that's my younger brother :lol:

Unlike the 350's, the 370's ECU's retain the bhp gains after exhaust changes etc without the uprev.

Personally, I found the uprev improved the driveability/responsiveness or whatever you choose to call it. As others have said before it's difficult to describe the 'feel' but if you enjoy using the full rev range that is where it comes into its own. But if you are someone that does not explore the full revs too often then it may be a waste of money.

Oh, and it improved the mpg - not by any great amount but for me it was by about 3mpg cruising on the motorways, when I got bored and monitored the consumption. :lol:

Yeah, I seem to remember some mpg gain, don't know how many miles you would have to do to regain the cost of Uprev back, or whether you could stop your heavy foot from damaging the new found frugality.

I've never been one to worry too much about how much mpg from my 3.7 litre car was getting though, and have never been a stranger to exercising the full rev range ;). Except when scrubbing tyres in :)

Apart from my single CEL issue a few months back I've been very happy with the Cobra HFCs. They definitely give an extra dimension to the sound, but having said that I wouldn't be too sad if I had to take them off. I was happy with my previous Z's set up, which was stock cats and the Stillen exhaust. Still sounded great, just not quite as raucous. :)

Very interesting factoid re the 370's learning ECU. Skynet @*!#!

Looks like I'm just going to keeps things simple and modular for the time being and start by replacing the exhaust and leaving the cats in place. No uprev or intakes at this point - if it works nicely then I'll be done with it. If not I might explore more options...

Thanks again for all your help, will let you know how it sounds over the weekend.

DT

p.s. Looks like there will also be a 370z nismo for sale here soon, any idea on value @ 7k miles?