Advice please - car brokers - good or bad

sipar69

We're thinking of getting a second car for practical use. My other half wants something new and since she'll be paying I'm not arguing. We'll probably go for a 'city car' - e.g Hyundai i10 or something like that, as it'll suit our purposes.

My question - is it worth going through an organisation such as 'Drive the Deal' or 'Orange Wheels'. They seem to promise pretty good discounts on new cars but I've no idea if they're good/bad/indifferent or whether it's better to just try and get a deal from our local dealership.

Be grateful for any views/experiences

Normally a local dealer won't match them. The other half's dad has used drive the deal twice and both time she's been really happy. Both have been for brand new mercs, but he's saved a couple of grand each time. First time he had to get the train to Nottingham to collect the car, the second they delivered it anywhere in mainland UK for free. Both cars then get serviced through the local dealership with no issues.

I'd think with something like the i10, the discount might be so negligible they wouldn't no. They might for a small fee though?

Have you thought about an ex demo car? I think Kia/Hyundai etc still give a full warranty with their ex demo's

• Like 1

My t'other half has the old shape Kia Picanto, it's actually great to drive. The newer one is supposed to be better still. The driving position is really nice and it handles pretty well for a budget car too.

Oh and Nissan have just released a new Note, I'm going to drive one on Thursday for my dad, so I'll let you know how it is :)

• Like 1

I like the idea of these broker sites, however most don't accept your car as P/X so you have to sell that first and also being across the water all but one would require me to fly over and take the ferry back to Belfast, so there goes most of the savings unfortunately for me :(

dunno how it compares price wise but the new Yaris is nice car to drive and frugal id say quality feels better than the VAG brand although every magazine seem to this there the best thing since sliced bread :dry:

just any thing Toyota avoid Steven Eagells like the plague

I only hear good things about Drive the deal, will be ordering a car though them soon. They put you in contact with dealer and you pay all money direct to the dealer. I'd be wary of any broker that takes payments through them.

Thanks folks. Will see how the deals compare with local dealership. The cars we're looking at are only about £8K - £10K new so I'm guessing the discounts are going to be fairly small - still worth a shot.

Hyundai i10 is the current front runner based on reviews. About 60BHP and 0-60 in 14 seconds.........Vrooom!

• Like 1

We have just ordered a new Leon (baby due in December) through Drive the Deal and it was a very pleasant hassle-free experience.

I plugged in all my details, paid a £500 deposit directly to DTD who then tell you which dealer they have placed the order with.

After that point all your dealings are directly with the dealer in question and DTD are not involved.

The dealer I have ordered with happens to be in Kent which is completely the other side of the country for me but they will deliver (driven) for free so I'm weighing up whether to collect the car or have it driven to me.

My local dealer originally matched my price from DTD and I ordered with them, they then decided they had quoted on the outgoing version and not the incoming version (slight engine change) and had to bump the price up £200. It may have been an honest mistake but, I cancelled the order as a matter of principal, after taking my money they should have honoured the price they quoted.

I'd buy a pre-registered car from a dealership - you know, the ones they discount heavily because they need to make their end-of-month sales target. You can work a really good deal this way, if you keep at it. You'd be getting a brand new car in everything but name, with a whopping discount, just because you're not the first name on the registration document.

Good luck with whatever you choose, though personally I'd talk her into a Vauxhall Corsa VXR - they're mental little cars.

• Like 1

I've driven the citreon c1 which I believe is the same car with a different body. The gear stick felt like it was stuck in a blancmange. Terrible car with no power.

Please drive an I10 if you're looking at others.

I'd be looking at the Aygo too in that budget: Will almost certainly hold the value better, and the new one is a bit of a looker in the orange too :cloud9:

They do look pretty cool but don't seem to fare very well in some reviews.

Well, I enjoyed our mk1. Very light which made it ideal for nipping around town, sure it was gutless after 50mph but then they all are (look at the similar 0-60 times), and whilst it was hardly the last word in driving dynamics the fact that we lost very little over two years made it a veritable bargain.

I never found any issue with the few Aygos I drove in terms of the gearshift. It was nicely positive, for what it is. If it was me I'd be buying something lightly used, a bit larger and pref with a diesel engine for a bit of torque (Clio/Corsa/Ka), but for brand new I think the Toyota is the way to go if you want to look at residuals. Plus, as I said the new one is uber-cool and makes up for the fact you're pootling around in a tin can :lol:

Actually, having read a few more reviews they do look quite good - most of the criticisms wouldn't be an issue for us. There's a Toyota dealer in Twickenham so I reckon we'll go and have a look this week some time. I'm liking the orange one (although black and white would make for a nice mini-me effect next to the Nismo).....I'll post up once a decision has been made.

Edited by sipar69

Agree with Dan on the Aygo, my missus picked up a 3 year old one earlier this year with 8500 miles on the clock. Shes a community nurse so needed a car with very low running costs and it seems to be working out great, I actually enjoy driving it around the city. Maybe not great if you have lot of motorway runs to do but then its not really designed for that.

Watch out for water leaks and raspy exhausts, they come with 5 year warranty's though so shouldn't be a problem, I also think the new ones look good :blush:

Agree with Dan on the Aygo, my missus picked up a 3 year old one earlier this year with 8500 miles on the clock. Shes a community nurse so needed a car with very low running costs and it seems to be working out great, I actually enjoy driving it around the city. Maybe not great if you have lot of motorway runs to do but then its not really designed for that.

Watch out for water leaks and raspy exhausts, they come with 5 year warranty's though so shouldn't be a problem, I also think the new ones look good :blush:

Cheers - we're gonna look at the new ones - they do look quite cool. :)

• Like 1

I'd be looking at the Aygo too in that budget: Will almost certainly hold the value better, and the new one is a bit of a looker in the orange too :cloud9:

Can vouch for that, middle daughter had one on a three year deal and, was given a fair few quid more than the guaranteed minimum trade in, great wee cars.

Used Orange Wheels to drive the Nismo deal as well.

I would use a car broker. Try 'morgs' on the forum as he may be able to help. I have an i10 (older style) and have been very pleased with it. Good 'bang for your buck' . The new one seems to be even better :thumbs: