What would you do with 10K for a track car?

hensh65

Probably be better off with a DC2 and swapping the engine over.

Agreed, as a for a track car they will be better alternative than the better to live with daily DC5.

That said, they're probably going the same way too.

UKDM ones will be the best bet for that.

I'd just get a £1500 EP3 though probably with a diff.

If, I was going Honda that is.

What if you went down the Evo/Scooby route? Are they good out the box? as 2 weeks ago at japfest we watched an Evo torch itself. Then probably a further 2 break down.

Personally, I'd skip them.

I don't know enough personality about boosted lumps and they're highly strung beasties that are more likely to develop issues than a tacked NA car.

Personally, that's why I don't ever consider them.

Just buy a Caterham that somebody else has sunk a small fortune into :thumbs:

What, like the guy who already has one and has just suggested a 370Z :lol:

Evo's are a good laugh on track, scoobs can be a bit nose heavy but you can dial that out ........... but TBH, if youre just buying for track anything over 1000KGs is too lardy, you dont really want FWD so Caterhams, Westfields, Elises etc. etc. are always going to be best bet :)

What if you went down the Evo/Scooby route? Are they good out the box? as 2 weeks ago at japfest we watched an Evo torch itself. Then probably a further 2 break down.

Personally, I'd skip them.

I don't know enough personality about boosted lumps and they're highly strung beasties that are more likely to develop issues than a tacked NA car.

Personally, that's why I don't ever consider them.

Agree, although there is a few ways you could look at it.

Couple have said they would buy really cheap and do full engine swaps.

Coldel going with higher purchase of the vx then increasing the power.

Could you not buy an evo 5 at a fair price, invest in a cooling system and a remap and be left with a really quick reliable track car?

I went on Piston heads and had a look at what you could buy that is ready to put on the track straight away. Never saw anything interesting in the slightest. I think if you were going to own a track car you would have wanted to be the person picking the upgrades!

I considered a Scooby WRX turbo for a track car, but was put off by the complexities of the engine. trackday cars need to be simple and lightweight with readily available parts, which is why you always see the same mix of caterhams, lotuses, clios, old bmws, and so on.

rare cars do not make good trackday cars, as you need things like brakes and tyres to be nice common sizes so they're cheap.

350zs wont ever be popular track cars as they're just too heavy... yes the engine would be good engine, but the chassis is just too heavy which means brakes and tyres are prohibitively expensive.

• Like 1

however (having never driven a lightweight) the idea of big power at the expense of weight has always been more appealing to me than a lightweight car that can't keep up down the straights.

hence why my realistic dream track car would be something like a BMW M3 rather than a lotus elise. if money was no object, i'm sure an ariel atom would be great, but I think i'd have more fun in a Porsche GT3 RS.

(having never driven a lightweight)

I thought this until I drove one. The experience is much more involving, the inputs much more precise, the feeling of speed is greater, even full on race cars cant replicate the feeling, you need to give it a go man B)

Dc5 is a great base for a track car. I'd also look at an s2000 for the fun factor

I don't know if zeds will become common place on track cos they're made as gt cruisers not for raw power. Yes they are capable and yea they're great cars I miss mine loads. But I think most people would go for something that's more track orientated from factory or with built with brut power in mind

(having never driven a lightweight)

I thought this until I drove one. The experience is much more involving, the inputs much more precise, the feeling of speed is greater, even full on race cars cant replicate the feeling, you need to give it a go man B)

+1

Scoobies are a hoot on track, but they're always the first car parked up in the paddock on a TD. Apart from a Noble, of course.

Coldel wins this with his VX suggestion. Nothing else comes close if you want a quick track car for that money, BUT be aware that one prang could write it off easily.

Completely biased, but this would be fun:

MR2 mk3 £1500

Suspension £600

Brakes £300

Hardtop £500

Bracing £200

Turbo kit £4000

Seats, harnesses £600

R888s £500

That's £8300, so room to allow for fitting of parts as well if you like. My suggestion includes a set of tyres, too :p

• Like 3

I wouldnt be buying a road car, i'd be buying something that i'd need to trailor to the track.

Something like a single seater / hill climb / sprint car, very lightweight and fun in the corners.

Couple of interesting ones on ebay...

Space Frame chassis, plastic body, £6k!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACE-CAR-HILLCLIMB-SPRINT-TRACK-CAR-/271381156498?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f2f93d292

$T2eC16RHJHcFFkMMJ50RBRljjHCEfg~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJEIFGN!9ns1gBRljjG4p,Q~~_12.JPG

Single Seater - £6k (i've seen loads better on PH but none on there currently within budget).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ray-Formula-Vee-Chassis-No-1-GAC-Engine-Single-Seater-Track-Day-Racing-Car-/390879555062?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item5b023cadf6

$_57.JPG

• Like 2

Loved my E46 M/// SMG as well, sadly missed to fund house move.

The 944 is great fun, but once a year for my precious baby is enough, now do I turn the Z into a track car or sell it and buy a VX220.......

Mmmmmm, a bit more thinking is required

however (having never driven a lightweight) the idea of big power at the expense of weight has always been more appealing to me than a lightweight car that can't keep up down the straights.

hence why my realistic dream track car would be something like a BMW M3 rather than a lotus elise. if money was no object, i'm sure an ariel atom would be great, but I think i'd have more fun in a Porsche GT3 RS.

You need to drive a lightweight then ;) VX220 turbo is only a fag butt width behind a £10k m3 over quarter mile so straights are marginal, however pretty sure the VX could brake plenty later and exit quicker from corners and generally take the laps quicker?

The smallest car ive ever driven is a Suzuki Jimny :lol: So i cant comment on the joys of lightweight motoring. Is the fun factor there? The car that looked the most fun on track was a Ford capri flinging its weight around the tight corners. Looked a handful but would have loved a shot!

Edited by hensh65

@ Marzman - watch the vid, PM me if youre interested as I think he would sell it for the right price .......... ;)

Oh, its a supercharged MeV Exocet BTW, I drive it on the same day as the vid and sweet jesus.

Up to 400hp, about 600KG I think and was less than 10K with a set of wets and the trailer ;)

@ Marzman - watch the vid, PM me if youre interested as I think he would sell it for the right price .......... ;)

Oh, its a supercharged MeV Exocet BTW, I drive it on the same day as the vid and sweet jesus.

Up to 400hp, about 600KG I think and was less than 10K with a set of wets and the trailer ;)

Love it. Definitely prefer the look of the Rockets over the Exocet, but this looks ace.

No more cars for me im afraid (for the next 3 or 4 years or so), i'm buying a house this year. :thumbdown: