And there was me thinking it was as simple as putting one foot in front of the other

And probably written by a qualified running trainer.......makes me laugh these days everything seems to have "expert" and every job has a fancy title, i guess in these days of political correctness nobody should have a crappy job title, and feel inferior.

• Like 1

Not sure what the point is here? There is a lot more to running than just putting on a pair of etnies and stepping out the door, it's why a lot of people end up hurting themselves with short and long term injuries.

I see nothing wrong with being educated :)

It's also why some athletes spend THOUSANDS a year on training to be better and faster. If you're running in a bad way you can cause massive damage to bones and ligaments. Yeah, we've been running for several thousand years, but it's not always been in shoes and it's never been on things as hard as tarmac and concrete. The shocks which go through your legs are huge when you're running. When we only lived to 25 because we'd be eaten by a wolf or die of the common Cold the longevity of your joints and muscles didn't really matter much. Now we're living almost 4 times longer it matters quite a bit more.

• Like 1

1. Only run after 3 hours from waking up. 2. Eat something an hour before you run 3. Buy some decent running shoes. Three simple rules that don't require a magazine publication that should see you straight for the rest of your running life.

92b691ea8d742a2d1da9bdf336976360.jpg

Oh hells yeah!

Then of course there's running from the squat rack to the nearest toilet/bin before you unintentionally redecorate the gym floor...!

It is quite sad that we've slipped so far as a species that we have to be coached on how to do things that should come naturally, but I do agree it's now necessary in most cases - get fit to run, not run to get fit.

• Like 1

Its a worthwhile one off magazine - weather is nice so people are motivated to go out and try get fit so fair play.

As for something natural - I would agree if we still lived in caves/trees and spent half the day physically chasing our lunch and dinner but nowadays most people are doing very unnatural things including their diet, work (sitting in offices/physical work our bodies weren't designed for etc) and our sleeping patterns to name a few. Our bodies are different.

I would bet half the people on this forum if they just jumped up at the weekend, stuck on a pair of trainers that 'would do the job' and went for a run would spend the next three days aching all over because they did more harm than good - in fact this will stop people doing it again.

Do it right or do it twice...! Well you know what I mean :lol:

Blah blah blah, lots of words :D

Do it right or do it twice...! Well you know what I mean :lol:

Do it right or spend the rest of the week struggling to put your socks on? That seems true to me :lol:

Did full service in the mob. Many former soldiers have bad knees, ankles and backs through years of physical training, carrying weight at speed so I welcome anything that gives a guide. Not seen the book but likely to have training plans, nutrition, correct footwear, stretches before and after etc. I have fallen arches so any foot wear I use need insoles. Sports science has come a long way in the last 20 years

Edited by Mudman

What stands out to me most these days is that people on the whole seem to have no common sense, the most simple of tasks seem to require training, whereas 40-50 years ago people would know instinctively what to do and how to do it.

I have taught myself to do most things in this life, and find my own common sense and intelligence seems to supply me with enough savvy to tackle most things without disaster,

for instance i think nothing of tearing something apart to learn how it works, and fix it, yet that sort of aptitude seems to have all but disappeared, at least in the people i have met in the last 20 odd years, and i despairer at some of the people you end up talking to on the phone, it almost feels like devolution is happening.

Ah, issue found. You're 70 odd and you're jealous of all the "blasted youngens" who are going out there cleaning up the mess which your generation has caused. Righto, crack on old boy.

Well that sort of comment goes a long way to prove my point, and i,m actually 62 not 70 odd, not that it matters, apart from keeping me from making deliberately offensive comments like yours.

SHOTS FIRED.

LOL! It also illustrates whats wrong with people today, if they feel an any way threatened/derided whatever, they come out fighting without any thought, like i said common sense has all but disappeared.

It's funny too, because if the current generation is going through "devolution" which generation is it to blame for that?! Well I'd say its the generation which raised them which would have caused the issues...

Ah, issue found. You're 70 odd and you're jealous of all the "blasted youngens" who are going out there cleaning up the mess which your generation has caused. Righto, crack on old boy.

Well that sort of comment goes a long way to prove my point, and i,m actually 62 not 70 odd, not that it matters, apart from keeping me from making deliberately offensive comments like yours.

62 not 70, you're right, it doesn't really matter, you're still closer to being dead than not.

Deliberately offensive comments? Yeah, because tarring a whole generation with the same brush isn't offensive? Just because you didn't raise your children properly, doesn't mean other people didn't either.

That's the generation after mumm-ra, sorry I meant Tricky. :p

The thing is in this day and age, everything is throw away that is why most people don't take things apart anymore because they'll just go get another on the never never.

Also technology and understanding has come a long way, sports science has come a long way and there are perhaps things you would like to know to best prepare yourself for running or whatever. I see no problem with that and in fact I think it's pretty ignorant to laugh at those that want to be informed.