Possible purchase but uneasy on milage!

harryjackson

The only thing I will say regardless of me previous post is that for another £1000 on top of your budget, you will get a zed without the lacquer peel and half the mileage.

Lacquer peel could be a prev paint job but there are owners on this forum who've got minters that have done more paint that Rolf Harris.

Cheap bodyshop will blow over it for a few hundred.

Perishables would be my main concern along with the clutch. You can burn £1500 very quickly with a new clutch and a set of boots for it.

Also at that milage you are playing the octane lottery. Unless this is a one owner car and he gives a gentlemans nod to using Super you're always going to be taking the chance that it's supped from the weak pump more than once.

Doesn't mean it will blow up but we've seen a few engines of late chucking a piston or ending up in some sort of terminal state.

At that sort of mileage i would expect to be looking at replacing things like dampers, wheel bearings, suspension bushes, a second exhaust etc etc, and thats besides engine ancillaries,

i would look at getting it checked by a decent mechanic before jumping at it.

Does anyone know any 350z for sale under 5k? Good examples with decent mileage?

Read my project lmao i took that jump spent 5k... Wonderful. Mileage was 118k

Clutch went on the way home

Needed new tyres all round

Needs new brakes all round

needed oil and plugs.

So ive spent the best part of 6k now and its all good :) your better off paying 6 and getting one with all the above already done unless your a tight git like me and dont mind a bit of a project!

All of the above could have just as easily have happened in a 50k miles car there just wear and tear products

Warning RANT coming sorry

This is in no relation to the quoted post above but I HATE it when people give out bad and just down right awful advise on forums often given by people who know nothing about what there advising on other than there best friends brothers girlfriends second cousin said so.....

High mileage shouldn't stop you buying a genuine car you just need to check things thoroughly.

Im' talking from 14 yrs in the trade (mechanic) and coming from someone who's bought more than my fair share of secondhand motors Im currently on number 59 in 14yrs of driving and every single car I've bought has been reliable and has been sold on normally for a small profit and in great condition and I'd say 85% of those have had over 100k on them and I'd say 15% had over 150k in the last 5 cars alone I've owned and loved driving there's been a 2001 4.4v8 X5 with 139k on it a 2004 new shape Range Rover with 178k a 2007 Chrysler 300C with 155k and this one wins on mileage a 2003 Mercedes CL55 AMG Supercharged 5.5 V8 with 340k you did read it right Three hundred and forty thousand miles and it pulled like a train and drove like a dream then there's obviously my current 350Z GT4 with 141k (barely broken in)

This is what you call full service history on my 141k GT4:

DSC_0122_zpskrkhxg6o.jpg

Now the only thing I would be looking at in a car with long legs on it would be it's service history now don't just take it's stamped book as gospel you really want them backed up with invoices for 2 reasons 1st it could be a fake eBay stamp slapped in the book or more commonly the owner has had a genuine stamp added in there book but there just for a cheap oil change without the rest of the maintenance work carried out when it should have been if no invoices are present give the number on the service stamp a call just be polite and explain why your calling I've done this many times and they will give you the history of work they've done service wise and other work.

Also check paperwork carefully I've been to see cars that have had stacks of paper work shame most of it didn't relate the car being sold so check reg on the paperwork also check dates and mileages reached at each date work out.

Another good sign to see when you are looking over the car after you've studied the history is check out the tyres I love to see premium tyres fitted it's a sign they spend good money where they have too, that doesn't mean budgets are only fitted to abused cars it's just a good thing to find also check the levels a keen car person keeps on top of the fluid levels I actually looked at a 350Z that is currently for sale on eBay I popped the bonnet and dipped the oil (do this before starting as there a mare to read the level if been run) and it was way below the minimum without showing the chap I said when did you last top the oil up he claimed last week I shut the bonnet and said good by.

Then there's the test drive I drive the car for around 15 miles mix town, back roads and motorway I've been to look at cars where there is very little fuel so I've chucked a tenner in the tank, I'd rather lose a tenner and spot a problem than do a quick road test then on the way home find a problem.

Now I'm not saying that car is the one to buy I'm simply saying mileage is not a big hang up on modern cars where modern engines with minimal good maintenance will surpass 250k at least, it's all down to its history I've seen some relatively low miles 50-60k dogs that have had hard low maintenance life that drive terrible knocking banging dash lit up like a christmass tree with management lights.

If your not mechanically minded to properly check over the car I'd suggest taking someone with you who is, I've had a few of our regular customers at the garage who have asked if I can take a look over a car if they drop by on road test and one good customer who took me to see a car needles to say I advised them accordingly.

RANT over again sorry

Edited by dpbayly
  • Like 2

I don't understand why anyone would want to buy a ratty Zed with galactic mileage? These cars aren't cheap to run, so if you only have a £4k budget, then is a Zed the right car for you?

Personally, I'd either be saving up for a better Zed or buying something different? You could get a really nice RX8 for £4k...

I know you're looking at it - but once a car goes over 100k it will turn off 80% of buyers - completely irrational, but it's how people are wired. I've always got half on eye on the exit and with this car - from your description- you'll be lucky to ever resell it.

In all honesty you'd be better off saving up just a bit longer and trying to get £6k together as at that price there are deals to be done on much, much better cars- cars very rarely sell for what they are advertised for, so with £6k you might get a car that's advertised/worth up to £7k if someone needs to move it on.

Also, don't discount imports as with the right spec they can be every bit as good as uk cars - I've got a well specced 2005 coupe auto with 58k miles and I paid £5k for it 6 months ago. I've spent about £750 on cosmetics and it now looks a million dollars.

If anything it drives better than my 2005 uk gt roadster. Just wished it had the brembos - but next bonus, Zmanalex may be getting a call....

As someone said earlier - buy on condition not mileage or age and you won't usually go far wrong.

• Like 1

I would never buy a car with that mileage when there are many cheaper lower mileage cars around.

Cheaper than 4300? Where? :wacko:

So it has a little lacquer peel, to be expected after 150k, shouldn't cost much to fix, especially if you can do it yourself. I also think you'll be hard pushed to find one that doesn't have a few carpark dings, especially on the doors.

The mileage is nothing to worry about if it been looked after service wise.

I just meant cheaper cars generally, not cheaper than £4300.

I'd rather pay a bit more for a better car.

I honestly think the mileage is a bit of a worry.

Ok Harryjackson just thought I'd give you a heads up on this Zed I've spotted in your price range.

Link: http://www.tradecarsalesbirmingham.co.uk/used-cars/nissan-350-z-3-5-v6-gt-3dr-birmingham-201405204349524

£4990 Nissan 350Z GT coupe ~ 79K miles ~ MOT/Tax ~ Nismo clocks ~ Reversing sensors ~ Sat Nav & more.

Going off the advert pictures of the Sat Nav unit it may be a JDM import (even though it has all UK bumpers/plates) but that doesn't matter really and it looks a great buy to me. Worth a phone call or test drive at least imo and much better then the high miler with lacquer peel.

I would never buy a car with that mileage when there are many cheaper lower mileage cars around.

So it has a little lacquer peel, to be expected after 150k, shouldn't cost much to fix, especially if you can do it yourself. I also think you'll be hard pushed to find one that doesn't have a few carpark dings, especially on the doors.

Aside the fact that the one being discussed is untidy Im interest to know why you feel high mileage is a cause for concern especially if backed up with good service history.

High miles is sure sign of lazy motorway miles ie an easy strain free life for an engine because you'd be hard pushed to clock up high mileage in city stop start driving. So the engine with regular oil changes should be as strong as a low miles engine that just leave ware and tare on components such as suspension and brakes well brakes have a life span of around 30k so that's neither here nor there and suspension components such as bushes deteriorate through lack of use as well as excessive use and also with general age so that's not an issue solely for high mileage as there's many posts of low mile Z's with knocked out front arms.

So if you have a valid reason for telling people to disregard high miles cars other than resale value because it's cheap in the first place then enlighten me

That's not to be interpreted as a dig at you personally Im just interested what makes people think this way about mileage

I know high mileage isn't an advantage when buying a car but it also isn't as bad as general consensus leads you to believe Ive certainly taken a big advantage to peoples misconceptions over the years and got some cracking deals

• Like 1

Ok Harryjackson just thought I'd give you a heads up on this Zed I've spotted in your price range.

Link: http://www.tradecars...201405204349524

£4990 Nissan 350Z GT coupe ~ 79K miles ~ MOT/Tax ~ Nismo clocks ~ Reversing sensors ~ Sat Nav & more.

Going off the advert pictures of the Sat Nav unit it may be a JDM import (even though it has all UK bumpers/plates) but that doesn't matter really and it looks a great buy to me. Worth a phone call or test drive at least imo and much better then the high miler with lacquer peel.

100% an import, but looks good and properly priced in my opinion :)

Link: http://www.tradecars...201405204349524

100% an import, but looks good and properly priced in my opinion :)

Thought it was.

Even so as you say properly priced and from what I read there is very little difference nowadays on insurance costs between imports & UK models if any. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Aside the fact that the one being discussed is untidy Im interest to know why you feel high mileage is a cause for concern especially if backed up with good service history.

High miles is sure sign of lazy motorway miles ie an easy strain free life for an engine because you'd be hard pushed to clock up high mileage in city stop start driving. So the engine with regular oil changes should be as strong as a low miles engine that just leave ware and tare on components such as suspension and brakes well brakes have a life span of around 30k so that's neither here nor there and suspension components such as bushes deteriorate through lack of use as well as excessive use and also with general age so that's not an issue solely for high mileage as there's many posts of low mile Z's with knocked out front arms.

So if you have a valid reason for telling people to disregard high miles cars other than resale value because it's cheap in the first place then enlighten me

That's not to be interpreted as a dig at you personally Im just interested what makes people think this way about mileage

I know high mileage isn't an advantage when buying a car but it also isn't as bad as general consensus leads you to believe Ive certainly taken a big advantage to peoples misconceptions over the years and got some cracking deals

I would agree with the motorway miles comment if the car was 3 years old, but it's 10 years old.

It's averaged 14,000 miles a year so I'd guess it's a well used daily driver that's had a few owners, rather than a motorway cruiser.

With most cars expensive problems are more likely and resale difficult.

I'd buy something with lower miles for £1000 more.

Edited by Kev

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the mileage as long as services have been regular and the oil used is good quality. The DE engines were designed to cover 200k+ miles and I know of owners in the USA have covered this and some more. So I wouldn't worry too much about mileage. Its just the rest of it that needs thoroughly checking out.
  • Like 1

I would agree with the motorway miles comment if the car was 3 years old, but it's 10 years old.

It's averaged 14,000 miles a year so I'd guess it's a well used daily driver that's had a few owners, rather than a motorway cruiser.

Ok I can see why you would think like that and I would say if the car was 3 years old with 140k I'd avoid that because at that age it can only have been used as a taxi and taxi's are notoriously run hard that aside i'd still claim at that mileage and that age its not had a hard life because that only works out at 52 miles a day (average 5 day use) thats certainly not 52 miles driving round stop start town driving.

Engine failures are incredibly rare in the 350z I'd put money on the only real reason for a failure to owner error and not mechanical at any mileage, a modern engine will not throw a big end shell for no reason I'd say the high majority of engine failures is down to oil starvation and lack of oil changes, I've heard some some talk about engine failure down to fuel octane but I'm not sure about that simply because the manufacture designed it to run on low octane, Gearbox failures are also almost unheard of so no worry there as to are diff's that then just leaves small engine ancillaries (alternator starter motor etc) again these can pack up at 20k or 250k and wear and tear parts brakes suspension again these are replaced at all mileage in a well maintained car.

I bet if I and another forum member doing similar mileage (8k a year) where to run are cars over the year logging any money spent on maintenance and brake downs there would be nothing in it,

If anyone would be up for that might be worth running a post for reference would make an eye opening read I reckon, a few high miles against a few mid mileage I'd say some ultra low mile motors too but they only every drive it out there garage clean them and drive them back in WHAT A WASTE....

In the nicest possible way, it sounds like you need to go your own way - we've made our points.

To paraphrase what I said in an earlier post - I don't buy anything that I couldn't see myself easily selling on.

With a mid mileage car in good nick you'll have almost 100% of the available market and recover most of your investment - with a high mileage tatty car you'll be down to 20% and you'll be selling it at bottom of the barrel money.

I suppose a lot depends on how long you are planning to keep it for.

• Like 2

I think what we're getting at is that whilst any zed is going to be a money pit (and I dont care what anyone says .....they are) a higher mileage car will have:

- higher potential for small ancillary jobs which are not all that cheap needing doing

- a seriously squeezed audience in resale situation

- more potential for poor maintenance over a larger amount of mileage

Basically if you can be balled with it then go for it but bear those things in mind.

As a mechanic is easy for you to look at any car and make an informed and professional decision.

It's isn't for everyone.

I think what we're getting at is that whilst any zed is going to be a money pit (and I dont care what anyone says .....they are) a higher mileage car will have:

- higher potential for small ancillary jobs which are not all that cheap needing doing

- a seriously squeezed audience in resale situation

- more potential for poor maintenance over a larger amount of mileage

Basically if you can be balled with it then go for it but bear those things in mind.

As a mechanic is easy for you to look at any car and make an informed and professional decision.

It's isn't for everyone.

I respect that comment fully,

I suppose when I look at a high miles car from my experience I can make a great buy and I can see an inexperienced person can very easily come unstuck from not knowing what to look for Im just here to say there are great buys out there and not to completely write off long legged cars

With a premium motor like a Z compared to your focus's and clio's I'd advise to always take someone who's knows what there looking at or get it AA checked what ever the mileage because I looked at some low miles heaps before finding my high miles minter.

I'll end it there I feel there's pros and cons to both sides and opinions are not easily changed

Ok I can see why you would think like that and I would say if the car was 3 years old with 140k I'd avoid that because at that age it can only have been used as a taxi and taxi's are notoriously run hard that aside i'd still claim at that mileage and that age its not had a hard life because that only works out at 52 miles a day (average 5 day use) thats certainly not 52 miles driving round stop start town driving.

Engine failures are incredibly rare in the 350z I'd put money on the only real reason for a failure to owner error and not mechanical at any mileage, a modern engine will not throw a big end shell for no reason I'd say the high majority of engine failures is down to oil starvation and lack of oil changes, I've heard some some talk about engine failure down to fuel octane but I'm not sure about that simply because the manufacture designed it to run on low octane, Gearbox failures are also almost unheard of so no worry there as to are diff's that then just leaves small engine ancillaries (alternator starter motor etc) again these can pack up at 20k or 250k and wear and tear parts brakes suspension again these are replaced at all mileage in a well maintained car.

I bet if I and another forum member doing similar mileage (8k a year) where to run are cars over the year logging any money spent on maintenance and brake downs there would be nothing in it,

If anyone would be up for that might be worth running a post for reference would make an eye opening read I reckon, a few high miles against a few mid mileage I'd say some ultra low mile motors too but they only every drive it out there garage clean them and drive them back in WHAT A WASTE....

It seems you've convinced yourself so why ask?

I was actually saying a car 3 or 4 years old with that mileage would be a better buy not a worse one. I don't think anyone has ever used a Z as a taxi.

I walked away from a recent 3.0 tdi Q7 due to mileage. Modern diesels can get very expensive to maintain over 100k miles and I doubt that was ever a taxi. Just a high mileage, motorway cruiser.

Cheap cars are cheap for a reason. In this case it's a very well used, 10 year old car.

He asked in a previous post and misread my point re motorway mile cars.

Seems all the people who are sure high miles make no difference have high mileage cars.

Edited by Kev

I was actually saying a car 3 or 4 years old with that mileage would be a better buy not a worse one. I don't think anyone has ever used a Z as a taxi.

I walked away from a recent 3.0 tdi Q7 due to mileage. Modern diesels can get very expensive to maintain over 100k miles and I doubt that was ever a taxi. Just a high mileage, motorway cruiser.

Cheap cars are cheap for a reason. In this case it's a very well used, 10 year old car.

I didn't ask as I I know from experience of owning many cars from low to high to astronomical,

My response regarding taxi's was aimed at cars in general because there's very few motorists that will clock up 46k a year for 3 years they would be driving an average of 176 miles a day 5 days a week to clock 140k in 3 years and most cars doing that sort of miles are taxis (again talking in general)

He asked in a previous question and misread my point re motorway mile cars.

Seems all the people who are sure high miles make no difference have high mileage cars.

So what your saying is us high miles owners the ones who have the experience of owning and running a high miles car are the only ones talking from experience.

So that comment says it all listen to us who have them ignore those how don't and never have and sadly never will (due to misconceptions) B)

I didn't ask as I I know from experience of owning many cars from low to high to astronomical,

My response regarding taxi's was aimed at cars in general because there's very few motorists that will clock up 46k a year for 3 years they would be driving an average of 176 miles a day 5 days a week to clock 140k in 3 years and most cars doing that sort of miles are taxis (again talking in general)

He asked in a previous question and misread my point re motorway mile cars.

So what your saying is us high miles owners the ones who have the experience of owning and running a high miles car are the only ones talking from experience.

So that comment says it all listen to us who have them ignore those how don't and never have and sadly never will (due to misconceptions) B)

I bought a 318is with 115,000 miles when I was 20 because I couldn't afford one with low miles. It was a pain to sell on, but I admit the only thing that went in my ownership was the manifold.

I appreciate you have more experience with high mileage cars than me, but you also have a high mileage car to sell.

The fact is high miles will put 90% of buyers off as it can lead to big bills, even with mundane cars like golf and vectra diesels. Loads of vw and vauxhall diesels being written off due to uneconomical repair.

My honest advice to the op would be buy the car with half the miles that's only a few hundred £ more. Even if it's only for a easy resale.

I've walked away from a nice q7 due to mileage. A quick google search put me off completely. Modern engines (especially diesels) aren't as reliable as older ones. Factor in the difficult resale and it didn't make sense.

If you can afford lower miles, buy lower miles. Just my honest opinion mate.

• Like 1

I totally agree on the diesels comment,

modern diesels are terrible mainly the fueling side of things injectors and pumps,

we must see 2-3 cars a week at least that are non starting diesels and there always down to the injectors or pumps.

That said VW/Audi are probably among the best for there diesel reliability

Oh and I'm not selling my motor and if I was to be selling it it's already sold for a cool £1700 more than it cost me 7 weeks ago to a chap who came to me cash in hand yesterday but I'm not ready to let go yet, I'm sure he'll be back with a revised offer as he's had cars off me before and knows I don't buy crap

So resale is't or has never been a problem for me you just need to be experience to sort through the crap when buying

Wow lots of chatter on here, i've chosen to leave the 4300 car and look for something maybe a little more expensive. Hopefully I can throw a post up in the not too distant future with a car I've bought :) Thanks for all the helpful comments and links.

Read page 1 - skipped page 2 - seems it got a little out of hand and to be honest you had your answer mate after about 6 posts.

Just not worth it - if you are on a budget can you afford £800 if the clutch goes a week later? Zeds are expensive, it always works out best if you play the waiting game and get the right one.

Wow lots of chatter on here, i've chosen to leave the 4300 car and look for something maybe a little more expensive. Hopefully I can throw a post up in the not too distant future with a car I've bought :) Thanks for all the helpful comments and links.

Amongst all the "chatter" did you notice that link I posted to that Zed for sale? post n#31?

Not sure if it's any good for you but just thought I'd let you know again in case you missed it. Good luck either way with your search. :thumbs: