Carbon Dipping - How easy to fix a bad job?

Randy_Baton

Okay now I know you've all come here to rubber neck pictures of a bad job but it hasn't happened yet!

I'm getting some interior parts done (door sills/rear strut brace/centre console) but my local place just looks to be a guy doing it in his shed. His examples look fine and its fairly cheap (no VAT :disguise: ). Can't be bothered to ship my parts off to places would rather drive to the place which is only 15 minutes away.

My question is how thick is the coating process and can you just lightly sand back and redo if it looks pony.

I'd have thought its a couple of base layers + a tint layer then the dipping layer and a few layers of clearcoat. So easily fixable by a reputable source.

I'm probably going to get the sills and rear strut done first to check out the workmanship.

Edited by Randy_Baton

Okay now I know you've all come here to rubber neck pictures of a bad job but it hasn't happened yet!

I'm getting some interior parts done (door sills/rear strut brace/centre console) but my local place just looks to be a guy doing it in his shed. His examples look fine and its fairly cheap (no VAT :disguise:). Can't be bothered to ship my parts off to places would rather drive to the place which is only 15 minutes away.

My question is how thick is the coating process and can you just lightly sand back and redo if it looks pony.

I'd have thought its a couple of base layers + a tint layer then the dipping layer and a few layers of clearcoat. So easily fixable by a reputable source.

I'm probably going to get the sills and rear strut done first to check out the workmanship.

I've been there and done that.....If its a crap job you wont recover it. Spend the extra and save yourself some hassle and heartache by getting it done by a reputable company. Check my posts for pictures of the work carried out by Aquagraphix. :thumbs:

• Like 2

You really need to have someone who knows his stuff when it comes to dipping. As in painting, its all in the prep, and the bling is all in the finish, so the guy needs to be skilled at all elements.

If he screws it up and it looks pants, the only way back is to strip it and do it again.

Save yourself some heartache and pay the little extra to have the job done right in the first place.

That's why I was thinking of starting with the door sills as I actually have the aluminium ones on the way from Steve, so I'm doing my spare set as a tester (they'll probably be on here in a few weeks!). Also going to be doing the rear strut bar as thats kind of out the way.

Based on the results of that I'll then go for the centre console. Its also why I'm more concerned on how easy it is to correct it if it goes horribly wrong!

Any idea how much it would cost to send the centre console in the post/courier to another company?

Edited by Randy_Baton

• 2 weeks later...

Is he new at it? He should have pictures of example pieces he's done :)

If he doesn't have any pics or examples, get him to do a tester piece? Something you have a left and a right of. Say if he does one side perfectly you'll pay a bit extra for the rest of the bits and you'll recommend him to every man and his dog. He can also take pictures of it and use them everywhere. If it's naff you don't pay?

He might tell you to p*ss off, he might say that sounds good. If you make it fair for both of you, he's more inclined to say yes.