Stone chip protection kits...

zippypooz

Hi guys an gurls,

Having got fed up with the stone chips on my front spoiler and having had it re-sprayed, ive designed a kit that fits on to the front bumper of the Zed, its basically a stone chip protector, much the same as the one just in front of the rear wheel arch. Its a clear self adhesive vinyl panel, the same as they use on Porches, Zeds and other cars.

I think its worth doing especially as the Zed is known for chipping!!

• Like 1

Don't think stone chips have ever been a problem for Porches. Hailstones and tramps sleeping inside them, maybe.

:p

Good luck, but you'll struggle to do this for less than the big boys for the same quality, I feel. Needs to be good stuff too or it'll yellow quickly.

• Like 1

Don't think stone chips have ever been a problem for Porches. Hailstones and tramps sleeping inside them, maybe.

:p

Good luck, but you'll struggle to do this for less than the big boys for the same quality, I feel. Needs to be good stuff too or it'll yellow quickly.

Haha...I used to apply the Porsche protectors at dealerships, i'll using the same material. Cost wise ive gotta see but im in the trade so hoping i can get a good deal which i think i can, plus im able to supply the artwork for die cutting...we'll see!!

Im never to convinced with these stone chip protectors. The Z being a blunt front car is going to be prone to them, but sounds like you know your stuff and the market so I wish you every success :)

• Like 1

Im never to convinced with these stone chip protectors. The Z being a blunt front car is going to be prone to them, but sounds like you know your stuff and the market so I wish you every success :)

Thanks, well its pretty good stuff, slightly rubberised and a little thicker than standard vinyl, so it doesnt split if a stone hits it. The stone in effect bounces off. Ive used it before on a Porsche Cayenne as a scuff mat on the door seals so your shoe doesnt scuff the paint as you get in. Worked well.
  • Like 1

look forward to seeing how you get on with this bud, I am looking at getting my front resprayed soon and was looking at the paint protection film being applied afterwards to protect the new paint job etc. I remember seeing a film kit for the zed which covered the bumper bonnet front wings have you seen them?

Just to be clear, some companies supply the kit as one thing ie a templated shape of the whole of the front spoiler for example. Im not intending to do this, im gonna make a kit that you piece together so it will be in various shapes and sizes, nothing too big...mainly because i want to make a kit that people can fit themselves OR if theyre not confident, get someone to fit for them but arnt gonna charge the earth to fit as they should be cut in reasonable bitesize chunks! Im gonna see how this goes, make one and fit it so you can see how it will look so that you know what youd be getting. It'll be similar to how we fit police car reflectives ie battenburg markings/chevron kits.

one thing I have noticed also is since having rear spats fitted the paint has started to get chipped off on them so some protection film that sits on them would be invaluable too!

• Like 1

one thing I have noticed also is since having rear spats fitted the paint has started to get chipped off on them so some protection film that sits on them would be invaluable too!

If you can give me some details i can make some one off protectors for you. ie measurements and a front on photo, im happy to help out!

How about when u want to remove it. Does it come off easily or does it stick firm like the window tint film and have to be picked off piece by piece?

You can remove it, its nothing like window film, just get it warm and it should peel off in one piece, sometimes leaves the adhesive behind though but that can be removed with a tar and glue remover. One thing i would say though, if youve had a crappy respray (im sure you havnt lol!!) you cant guarantee it wont pull your paint off when you remove it!!

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the stone chip kits, im looking at selling each kit for about £140 if i can get enough buyers and it may be available at a slightly cheaper rate, i'll post a photo in situ. It will come with instructions and i'll throw in a 'special' anti scratch squeegee!! Will post a pic of the kit which will consist of easier to apply bite size chunks. Im not only doing Zeds as ive had a fair bit of interest from the RS boys too, in fact i can do any model as long as i can template it. I can also do custom shapes other than front spoilers but the waiting time will be a little longer. Let me know if youre interested and i can go from there. :)

Edited by zippypooz
  • Like 1

One thing I do know is this guy is renowned for being one of the best if not the best vehicle wrappers in the Southeast so not doubt the product will be top drawer. Good price too.

• Like 1

What panels will the kit cover ie bumper, wings, edge of bonnet etc or is it just for the bumper, also is the kit available for the nismo front bumper?

At the moment its for the standard oem front spoiler but i am going to make up a kit for the wings and bonnet edge. Just takes a long time to get right, im putting this on my zed so its got to be pretty spot on as im a fusspot!!...plus if im selling it then it needs to be good, i dont want people being unhappy with what they get...at the end of the day, ive put a lot of hours into this and i want it to be a popular product.