350z left sat on a drive for a year? Buy?

W4ffles

Hi ladies and gents,

Noob here. I'm trying to get on to the Z wagon. Haven't driven one yet but I'm planning for a test drive soon with a dealership. Though I've found out at work that a colleague in a different dept has had a 53 plate 350z uk usual gt spec with 72k since new but.....it's been sitting on the drive for year with a dodgy starter apparently and flat batt. Bar the big service...what else should I be looking out for with the car been sitting not started for a year.

I'm not sure if I want him to try start it by getting a new batt or anything. From experience with my current car (Subaru legacy gtb) which had sat for 1or2 years not driven or started - once it was started and driven to the garage it's 2 turbos blew albeit the engine was ok. Now I know a 350 isn't turbo but I'm thinking it might be worth towing to a garage to give it a service and look over by a mech

Anyways I haven't seen it yet and don't know how much it is but could get it cheap. He has no use for it at the mo so may get a bargain! One owner since new has to be good!

Thanks for your help and hopefully I will have one soon!

Waffles.

One owner from new is only good if he's looked after it. He spent 30k on the car then leaves it laying around because of a dodgy starter? I think it's a bit dodgy because surely you'd just put a new starter in it and carry on? So this leads me to believe that there's more wrong than just that.

• Like 1

Ya I get ya. Things il be looking out for are decent brand tyres on it, tells me an owner putting money into it!

Well we both work at Nissan plant and he must have got a employee discount deal on it new and held onto to it since. He's had 2kids so he says he has no use for it. He didn't have it for sale at all...I just got his name from a colleague I work with when I said I was looking at 350zs...then he mentioned you should ask if the other guy would be willing to sell if he has just left on a drive. So I did get in touch and I'm due to see it one of the days

One owner from new is only good if he's looked after it. He spent 30k on the car then leaves it laying around because of a dodgy starter? I think it's a bit dodgy because surely you'd just put a new starter in it and carry on? So this leads me to believe that there's more wrong than just that.

Agree.You need to check service history, mileage etc.

Agree.You need to check service history, mileage etc.

Oh ya that's a given, il be checking for that and making sure it's got its major service done etc. But will the likes of bushes cease and need replacing or any hoses or anything in particular?

Just keep your eyes open for any obvious with a car that's been left to the elements with no use for a year (standing water etc.). This last year hasn't particularly been brilliant in terms of weather.

That's true, cool cheers !

Could be a bargain at the right price. I'd budget for changing all fluids though, tyres, battery and the dodgy starter.

Needs to be priced appropriately otherwise you will lose out on the service costs of bringing it back up to a good running standard. :thumbs:

Just keep your eyes open for any obvious with a car that's been left to the elements with no use for a year (standing water etc.). This last year hasn't particularly been brilliant in terms of weather.

Well, presuming it hasn't been cleaned during the past 12 months it will almost certainly have been subjected to bird poo which can easily attack the paintwork as it's fairly acidic and the purple stuff is very acidic. My RS Turbo was left out uncleaned for 12 months and the paintwork really suffered quite badly with dull patches and dull streaks where the bird poo had run in the rain.

Pete

I've just bought a 2005 roadster with 38,000 miles and FSH that was sat in a multi-storey for 9 months.

Other than being very dusty and having a few bumper scrapes it's perfect.

Although it did require new pads, discs and tyres all round. The roof was also a bit stiff at first.

I can honestly say its the best buy I've ever made. The body shop that repaired the bumper offered me double what I paid.

The guy I bought it off had owned it from new, but left it in his work car park space when he got a new e class cabrio last august.

Some people have more money than sense.