Off Topic: Where do i stand?

-Bradders-

Wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences, Right so i booked through a holiday company in January (lowcostholidays) and today... 2 weeks prior to leaving we get an email saying the hotel is full and we cant go? what the hell? and the alternative they have offered is shockingly bad as are the reviews.

Im just wondering if anyone has any info on a similar situation and where i stand? as you can imagine im stressing a bit, i know we went through low cost holidays but we still spent well over 2k on the holiday, not sure if thats a lot or cheap to some people but its quite a bit to me.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Brad

• Like 1

Surely in this sort of event, the replacement hotel has to be of equal or greater standard?

Have you tried contacting them to let them know you're not happy with the replacement?

Hi Mate sorry to hear about this. Basically if they cannot provide the package as described and cannot provide the goods ( hotel) as stated ie you entered into a contract to stay at hotel x which is now not available then they are in breach of contract and as such you are entitled to a full refund so find another service provider that can provide a hotel to the required standards.

This may not be ideal and give you much time to look elsewhere but thats the tack I would be taking. You should also notify your insurance company just in case it does turn to horlicks. The small print may need to be checked but unless theres is something

Below from ABTA website

The tour operator has changed my accommodation. Can they do this?

This depends whether the tour operator specifically states in their booking conditions that they can make changes like this. If they don’t reserve the right to do so, then any change will be a breach of contract. If they do reserve the right to make the changes, then they must follow what their booking conditions say.

ABTA’s Code of Conduct says that booking conditions should state that if a significant alteration is made, the tour operator must offer an alternative if available, or a full refund. They should also offer compensation, unless the reason for the major change is force majeure. If the change is to accommodation within the same resort and of a similar standard as the accommodation originally booked, it won’t normally be regarded as a major change.

I would call the travel company and quote the above - if they do reserve the right then you may be screwed

Edited by Mudman

Para 8.2of their terms ands conditions - think you may be in luck

If you do not want to accept a significant change, which we tell you about before you depart, we

will, if we are able to do so, offer you an alternative Package of equivalent or closely similar

standard and price at no extra cost, or a less expensive Package, in which case we will refund

the difference in price. If you do not wish to take the alternative we offer you,

you can choose adifferent Package offered for sale

by us and pay, or receive a refund of, any price difference. Or,

if you prefer, you can cancel your Package and receive a full refund of any money you have paid

to us, except for any amendment charges.We will consider an appropriate refund of insurance

premiums paid if you can show that you are unable to transfer or reuse your policy

• Like 1

I don't think that's going to help the OP much, given he's only got two weeks left before travel.

It looks like he's either going to have to take the weaker hotel, pay more and get a better hotel, or cancel and pray he can book with someone else but that'll no doubt cost more.

This happened to me last year with Thomas Cook. Received a phone call about 4 days before our flight saying the hotel we were stating at over booked. So they provided us with a replacement which either had to be equal or better than our original hotel. Turns out after a quick look on trip advisor it was miles better ranked 6th out of 71 hotel whereas our original hotel was 20 something. Heard some horror stories about it as well while we were there so kinda dodged a bullet!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right it's got even worse now... lol fml.

So, we ring the original hotel, ask them if there are rooms available for those dates.. and funny enough yes, they have a range of rooms available, so i tell the mrs go ahead and book the hotel direct and we'll cancel the LCH one but keep the flights.. all well and dandy, another 900 on hotel, request refund from LCH, oh btw we are cancelling the flights too as its a package holiday and you wont be receiving the flight money back (over £650)... WHAT>!>! now we are stuck, so we cancelled the cancellation lol. so now we have a package holiday with no hotel and a hotel with no flights and we are £900 down. FML.

Those facts above are extremely usefull really really appreciate the time you guys have given to find those for me! i'm not very smart in those kind of places, i would have never thought to look at those kinda things. really appreciate it guys! This year is just not my year if im honest lol. The mrs is going beserk, she flipped her sh*t at the LCH people on the phone im kinda worried now when i call them today lol.

No chance, LCH just put a flight & hotel together, they have no representation at all. Basically they're like Expedia et al.

Are you saying that they've withdrawn their offer of another hotel?

I don't understand why you went ahead and booked the hotel instead of phoning LCH and telling them that the hotel isn't booked up and you just contacted it.

I Did and she told me no they are fully booked. she refused to listen when i said they have told me there are rooms, something to do with only being contracted a certain amount of rooms which is fine but we did book 6 months ago so assumed they would reserve for us, obviously someone has booked later and paid more so they've offered them the room.

Yea travel companys will pre pay hotels to get the rooms dirt cheap imagine 100 rooms booke up for 9 months of the year they then sell them on to you, so when that companys full i guess they can get people to pay extra to take the rooms then dump you in somewhere else they have prepaid rooms and not filled up

We've decided to just pay another £300 and upgrade to a 5 star and go near to our original destination lol. makes life easier for both parties however a full letter of complaint shall be made and trust me, i never complain about anything but this has sent the mrs loopy lmao! and it's her birthday tomorrow!

As much as I hate to be the one to say this, this is why cheapest isn't always best. Not trying to rub your nose in it Bradders, I can only imagine how awful/angry you feel, but if nothing else it'll serve as a warning to others with regards to booking up cheap holidays.

Hopefully the new hotel will be much better and you'll end up having a lovely time in spite of all this :) Where are you going anyway?